Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2009, 10:59   #1

Best Non-Skid

I need to redo the nonskid on my deck So for the experts What non skid coating will hold up best? I have awlgrip paint and was thinking of using that with sand I don't much care about the price as It will pay off in the long run
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 11:03   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Some people are turning to coatinigs used for truck bed liners as these are coming in a wider range of colors now.

I have also seen good results with using glass bead blasting media instead of sand applied with the paint. This produces a better feeeling texture, and does not show the wear as much due to the transparency of the glass showing the same color of paint from below.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 12:19   #3
jjt

Boat: F&C 39
Non Skid

I obtained excellent results with Griptex (GRIPTEX Non-Skid Particles - Coarse .....73013 ) mixed with AWLCRAFT® 2000 Topcoat

I used a proportion doubled as of instructions in the can (in fact i run a few tests over a plywood panel trying different proportions).

It's also very easy to apply (just mix with the topcoat and spray with the appropiate nozzle (I think it was 0.7)

When dried I also applied another topcoat layer over (without Griptex), just to seal the particles and to partially fill the spaces (to easy deck washing)

The result was amazing !!!
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 12:19   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I used Black Diamond, a bead blasting media, down under 3 coats of paint. It is VERY agressive. If you fall you WILL leave skin behind but since doing it I havent fallen so it must work right. I use a cheap porch and floor paint for my decks so it might not work with Algrip but it does work for my old boat........m
Old 30-12-2009, 14:43   #5

I'm testing Kiwigrip on my dinghy floor boards. It went on well and with a little bit of use it has done well. If it holds up over the next summer it is going on the boat. The current decks are silica sand in paint and it is not a good surface. When wet it is slippery and sharp.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 15:33   #6

i recomend you to use Alwgrip or alexseal non skid additive, you are able to get it fine, coarse, xtra coarse. you mixed with the paint and depends of the paint converter you be able to spray or roll and brush
Alejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 17:07   #7

Boat: Valiant 50
FWIW - I just applied Kiwi Grip to our Cat. Easy to apply, even for an idiot like me and surprise!!!.. it even looks good.

So far it its working well. Perhaps not the most non slip material in the universe, nevertheless I am happy to recommend it.
Old 30-12-2009, 17:34   #8

Boat: Dutch Steel Cumulant 38' Saben
I installed Vetus non skid. It's a sheet product composed of cork, rubber, vinal and will last 20 + years. It is the ultimate for nonskid.
SteveHoiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 18:35   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I like the quartz sand suspended in the paint and rolled on. It's easy to adjust the sand ratio to suit your taste. Durable, natural, available, no cost.... 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 14:26   #10

Boat: Beneteau 440
We will be applying "Al's Liner" in the spring. This is a do it yourself truck bed liner that is being used more and more on boats and can be applied in most any color and finish. There are a number of videos online showing how to apply this product. We are going to be using a light flat gray finish with rubber pellets added. Total cost is less than $200.
Steelshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 17:44   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco
We use Grip tex, which is Awlgrips non skid additive. It can be sprayed or rolled. It comes in several grits . Some test panels will allow you to determine which grit suits your desires. David

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 18:01   #12

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
If cost, ease of app, and ease of recoating worn areas are important, it's tough to beat Kiwi-Grip

Jack
Old 08-01-2010, 07:56   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Since you have Awlgrip, and cost is not a big issue, I'd use their non-skid and Awlgrip. No brainer to me.

The problem with some of the other coatings mentioned above, is that they are not easily reversible.

In our case, since we have an Interlux 2 part on the deck already, we are going with Perfection with Interlux's non-skid additive.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:10   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Given you already have Awlgrip, I would respray with Awlgrip and their non-skid. The fine particles work just fine, are easy to scrub clean and you are not going to tear up your skin if you should brush against the non-skid.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote