Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2022, 04:48   #106

Boat: Looking to buy
Re: Best Hard Paint for under the waterline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Yep, I used the extra, 2 coats red first the navy, and with each I double applied the leading edges with the last quart of “leftover” product. My hull still has a good bit of the navy and the red in intact.

Thank you for sharing.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 04:54   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
I sarcastically add: the reason they took it off the market is because the DEP somehow found out it worked……kidding, not kidding.

Environment protection are very powerful in USA, Canada, Europe and Oceania, but much less in other parts of the world.
Old 27-04-2022, 05:16   #108
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Best Hard Paint for under the waterline

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Again I did NOT state that. I simply reproduced, word for word, the product specification from International Paints. I also gave one of the urls so members, such as yourself, could check said literature, even pointing out the paragraph I had reproduced.

As the expert in this field it is important that you get in touch with International Paints and share your wisdom so that they'll of course amend all their literature and technical sheets.

As for Petit Paints, it's a North American brand not widely available in many the countries.

International paints recommendation for hard paint applies to fast boats like mobos largely because ablative paints tend to slough off too quickly.

Hard paints can be used on both types and have different characteristics

International didn’t say hard paints aren’t suitable for slow boats.

I use hard paint on my sailing boat
Old 27-04-2022, 05:34   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
International paints recommendation for hard paint applies to fast boats like mobos largely because ablative paints tend to slough off too quickly.

Hard paints can be used on both types and have different characteristics

International didn’t say hard paints aren’t suitable for slow boats.

I use hard paint on my sailing boat

Thank you for your input.
I agree with you on the Hard paint, I think it's better, since it will be always in the water.
Old 25-08-2022, 13:46   #110

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Call it "paint" or call it orange juice. Call it whatever you want. But you will find as many (if not many more) testimonials in which the user regrets ever having bought into the Coppercoat sales pitch as those who don't.
I've actually conducted a survey among fellow Antares owners who used Coppercoat. The difference between satisfied vs dissatisfied users boils down to application. Coppercoat is very fickle: requires precise application methods (specific rollers, mixing, humidity, temperature, sandpaper grit), etc... Then there are geographical considerations post implementation. Lastly, some dissatisfied owners expected never to have to clean their bottoms after applying Coppercoat, which is unrealistic.

Most owners who applied themselves are satisfied, as they followed the instructions (US vs UK).

As with so many other things, returns are based on time and resources invested. Coppercoat remains a top contender for when I do my bottom next month.
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 13:54   #111

Boat: Antares 44i
Talking Re: Best Hard Paint for under the waterline

Quote:
In my experience, Pettit Trinidad (any flavor) is the most durable hard paint you can buy. It also happens to be the most effective hard paint you can buy, IMHO. The aforementioned Trinidad SR (not "SLR") has been discontinued but there are at least one or two new Pettit products intended to replace it.
fstbttms, I really appreciate your weighing in on this (and other) threads about bottom paint (including epoxy! ) performance. Funny enough, I walked the marina earlier today (before reading threads on Cruisers Forum) asking local bottom cleaners on their opinions of bottom paint performance. Who better to ask than the folks like you whose profession gives insight into what really works, or not!?

Which "flavor" of Pettit Trinidad would you choose if you wanted max bang (performance) for the buck? I'm choosing between Trinidad Pro and the newer Trinidad XSR?

Thanks again for your "no b-s" contributions.
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 13:58   #112
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Selawry View Post
Which "flavor" of Pettit Trinidad would you choose if you wanted max bang (performance) for the buck? I'm choosing between Trinidad Pro and the newer Trinidad XSR?
I can't say with certainty that I have ever come across Trinidad XSR, but typically tell customers that any flavor of Trinidad is good stuff. Personally, I'd probably stick with Pro, as it is tried and true.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 14:02   #113

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

Quote:
Call it "paint" or call it orange juice. Call it whatever you want. But you will find as many (if not many more) testimonials in which the user regrets ever having bought into the Coppercoat sales pitch as those who don't.

And above is conjecture or assumptions or call it orange juice from someone with no experience with the product. In each case, on my boats, the Florida rep from the distributor came to the yard and directed prep and application. Will use again in a heart beat.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 14:20   #114
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb7734 View Post
And above is conjecture or assumptions or call it orange juice from someone with no experience with the product.
I have decades of professional experience with the product, chief. And again, I wouldn't wish it on an enemy. But you go ahead and knock yourself out with that crap.
Old 25-08-2022, 16:35   #115

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

Quote:
I have decades of professional experience with the product, chief. And again, I wouldn't wish it on an enemy. But you go ahead and knock yourself out with that crap.
Yeah I am sure. … decades zzzzzzz
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 19:47   #116

Location: Soon sailing from New Orleans to Key West then Caribbean
Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Orion 27

To make it more confusing I see a hard Petite Trinidad HD sales page at Wholesale Marine saying it is for powerboats or sailboats.
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 20:21   #117
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maury View Post
To make it more confusing I see a hard Petite Trinidad HD sales page at Wholesale Marine saying it is for powerboats or sailboats.

What’s confusing about that?
Old 06-03-2024, 09:36   #118
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter 41

Has anyone had any experience with Trinidad XSR bottom paint?

I would normally re-paint with Trinidad HD but the triple biocides in Trinidad XSR is intriguing me.

I would love to hear from anyone that has had experience with both.
Old 14-03-2024, 21:42   #119

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 33

Figured I would ask here as I am getting ready to paint. How can I tell what type of paint the previous owner had? I scraped and sanded my hull and its just about ready for paint when the temp gets a little higher but I dont want to apply something that will not stick. If I have read correctly, if I choose a hard paint, I cant paint over a ablative and vise versa..... is there any way to know what type was on it before?
ekelly36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, water