Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2022, 10:42   #1

Boat: Looking to buy
Best Hard Paint for under the waterline

I was just wondering what specific brand Hard Paint you used to paint under the waterline and gave you a great useful life span.
Most of my research, I see paints lasting at the most between 24 to 30 months, I was hoping to find something in the 3+ years category.
By the way the sailboat would be mostly sailed and anchored between the tropics, I would use a plastic spatula on a monthly basis and I would like to reduce haul outs to a minimum.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 10:47   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Best Hard Paint for under the waterline

Look at coppercoat, expensive and fiddly to apply correctly. Different opinions on its effectiveness are circulating.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 10:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Look at coppercoat, expensive and fiddly to apply correctly. Different opinions on its effectiveness are circulating.

Well on their website they boast 5 year durability, most likely it will be pricey, but certainly worth looking into that.
Thank you very much, I appreciate, your quick reply.
Old 20-04-2022, 13:54   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Look at paints for commercial ships such as in the Jotun SeaQuantum line - 5 year repaint interval. Dry docking a cargo ship for repainting is done rarely.

However, it’s not just antifoul that is a reason to haul your boat, or at least to let it dry out on a grid between tides (or on a beach if you have a cat or a bilge keeler). Replacing anodes, clearing throughulls, greasing props, replacing shaft seals, servicing sail drive units, repairing damage to paint and/or underbody components. While some of those things can be done underwater or between tides, you would need to be a very lucky cruiser to not have to haul out yearly or biannually for some reason other than antifoul.

That said, Coppercoat is a (very expensive and near permanent) solution if you don’t want to repaint every few years. But it’s effectiveness seems to be geographical. Of course, you can’t put it on props and shafts, so those still need to be regularly cleaned and/or recoated.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 15:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Look at paints for commercial ships such as in the Jotun SeaQuantum line - 5 year repaint interval. Dry docking a cargo ship for repainting is done rarely.

However, it’s not just antifoul that is a reason to haul your boat, or at least to let it dry out on a grid between tides (or on a beach if you have a cat or a bilge keeler). Replacing anodes, clearing throughulls, greasing props, replacing shaft seals, servicing sail drive units, repairing damage to paint and/or underbody components. While some of those things can be done underwater or between tides, you would need to be a very lucky cruiser to not have to haul out yearly or biannually for some reason other than antifoul.

That said, Coppercoat is a (very expensive and near permanent) solution if you don’t want to repaint every few years. But it’s effectiveness seems to be geographical. Of course, you can’t put it on props and shafts, so those still need to be regularly cleaned and/or recoated.
I haven't thought about the other maintenance needing attention on a biannual basis, guess is damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.
Thank you for your reply, saves me of spending a lot more for nothing.
Much appreciated.
Old 20-04-2022, 16:42   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

We only haul out for a week every 3 to 5 years, using Petit Trinidad Pro, with diver cleaning monthly using towels or carpet scraps. Aggressive cleaning methods using more abrasive materials will reduce paint life.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 16:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
We only haul out for a week every 3 to 5 years, using Petit Trinidad Pro, with diver cleaning monthly using towels or carpet scraps. Aggressive cleaning methods using more abrasive materials will reduce paint life.
Thank you, seems like a very good idea will certainly give that a try, if I could push it to 3 years, I would be a happy camper, em sailor I meant.
Old 20-04-2022, 18:15   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I'm surprised that no one has picked on 'hard' paint in the thread title. I've always understood that hard paints are only intended for higher speed boats. So I've always been steered down the road of ablative (soft) paints for my sailboat antifoul. Is this not correct?
I've been told that this is because a hard paint wont do its job correctly at the slow speed a sailboat typically moves at. Please, please posters what is the correct advice?

Another factor in choice of paint is what the hull is made of.

And even Petit Trinidad Pro recommend:
MAINTENANCE: No antifouling paint can be effective under all conditions of exposure. Man-made pollution and natural occurrences can adversely affect antifouling paint performance. Extreme hot and cold-water temperatures; silt, dirt, oil, brackish water and even electrolysis can ruin an antifouling paint. Therefore, we strongly suggest that the bottom of the boat be checked regularly to make sure it is clean and that no growth is occurring. Lightly clean the bottom with a sponge or cloth to remove anything from the antifouling paint surface. Cleaning is particularly important with boats that are idle for extended period of time.

And I'm not pointing this out to be negative, quite the opposite, it's an excellent paint. But as other posters have said, and re-emphasised by the manufacturer above, there is still the need to check underwater hardware.

And I probably share others' experiences in that a sort of muddy slime still coats the bottom and so I lift the boat for a visual check and a clean with soft brush and hose every 6-9 months. In some 'dirty' marinas I've been moored in, even after only a short period of a few weeks the hull can gain a real mess of sludge.
Old 21-04-2022, 03:24   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
I'm surprised that no one has picked on 'hard' paint in the thread title. I've always understood that hard paints are only intended for higher speed boats. So I've always been steered down the road of ablative (soft) paints for my sailboat antifoul. Is this not correct?
I've been told that this is because a hard paint wont do its job correctly at the slow speed a sailboat typically moves at. Please, please posters what is the correct advice?

Another factor in choice of paint is what the hull is made of.

And even Petit Trinidad Pro recommend:
MAINTENANCE: No antifouling paint can be effective under all conditions of exposure. Man-made pollution and natural occurrences can adversely affect antifouling paint performance. Extreme hot and cold-water temperatures; silt, dirt, oil, brackish water and even electrolysis can ruin an antifouling paint. Therefore, we strongly suggest that the bottom of the boat be checked regularly to make sure it is clean and that no growth is occurring. Lightly clean the bottom with a sponge or cloth to remove anything from the antifouling paint surface. Cleaning is particularly important with boats that are idle for extended period of time.

And I'm not pointing this out to be negative, quite the opposite, it's an excellent paint. But as other posters have said, and re-emphasised by the manufacturer above, there is still the need to check underwater hardware.

And I probably share others' experiences in that a sort of muddy slime still coats the bottom and so I lift the boat for a visual check and a clean with soft brush and hose every 6-9 months. In some 'dirty' marinas I've been moored in, even after only a short period of a few weeks the hull can gain a real mess of sludge.
You were told backwards: ablative paints are meant for fast boats, where the speed will help slough off whatever's holding on to the soft surface layer. Slow boats need hard paint: I like Petit Trinidad if I'm in the Nanny State; I like Seahawk in places with less environmental restrictions.
Any paint is going to need scrubbing, more so in warm waters; even more in warm fertile waters where there's lots of goodies for critters in the runoff.

Three years between haulouts in the tropics is kind of dreaming, IMO. OP: why is that your interval? Is it cost? Bake that in to your crusing plans, and be aware that there are cheaper and costlier places to haul.
Old 21-04-2022, 03:56   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

If you can still find it..Trinidad SLR
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 04:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
You were told backwards: ablative paints are meant for fast boats, where the speed will help slough off whatever's holding on to the soft surface layer. Slow boats need hard paint: I like Petit Trinidad if I'm in the Nanny State; I like Seahawk in places with less environmental restrictions.
Any paint is going to need scrubbing, more so in warm waters; even more in warm fertile waters where there's lots of goodies for critters in the runoff.

Three years between haulouts in the tropics is kind of dreaming, IMO. OP: why is that your interval? Is it cost? Bake that in to your crusing plans, and be aware that there are cheaper and costlier places to haul.

Yes it's of course cost the issue here, will plan accordingly...
Thank you very much for the confirmation of the type of paint required.
Old 21-04-2022, 04:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
If you can still find it..Trinidad SLR

Thank you for the information.
Old 21-04-2022, 06:42   #13

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:

This is exactly right.
Mentioning the longevity or effectiness of a bottom paint without specifying the location only provides half the story.
The effectiness varies from place to place due to water temperature, salinity polution, etc.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 06:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
This is exactly right.
Mentioning the longevity or effectiness of a bottom paint without specifying the location only provides half the story.
The effectiness varies from place to place due to water temperature, salinity polution, etc.

Thank you for confirming that Benz post/reply is relevant and adequate, but I would believe that all paints would be affected, by pollution, runoffs, etc
Old 21-04-2022, 09:28   #15

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
You were told backwards: ablative paints are meant for fast boats, where the speed will help slough off whatever's holding on to the soft surface layer. Slow boats need hard paint: ....
Respectfully, I don't feel that I was told backwards. I've just checked quite a number of vendor paint guides and yachting and vendor 'How To's', including Altex, Petit, International as below, Yachting Monthly, TotalBoat etc. and the consensus seems to me to be for slow boats ablative, and fast boats it's hard paint. And I've been trying to avoid my own confirmation bias.

Reprinted from the International Paints Guide:

Hard antifouling
If you have a fast boat, or a fast boat that is used very regularly, then hard antifouling is usually the best product to choose. --- For those who like to race, hard products are a good option as they can be burnished or wet sanded to a smooth finish.

I do appreciate that there is considerable variability before choosing the type of paint. Factors such as fresh or sea water, water temperature, whether the boat remains in the water all year round, and of course the critters in the local area that are prevalent, water cleanliness and of course local regulations.

Tags
paint, water