Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2022, 16:41   #1

Boat: 41' yawl
Best filler for worn out woodscrew holes

Hi Folks,

I have a complicated teak hatch with a zillion fastener holes that are worn out. Woodscrew threads only engage at the very end, no room for longer screws, larger diameter won't work because of required head geometry. The holes are for all manner of bronze googaw that cannot be relocated either.

I guess I'll fill the holes with thickened epoxy and redrill pilot holes, but it always seems like the epoxy is just shattering to smithereens when I do that. Figured I'd check if anyone had better ideas for what to use. Skinny little dowel?
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 16:57   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Best filler for worn out woodscrew holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Hi Folks,

I have a complicated teak hatch with a zillion fastener holes that are worn out. Woodscrew threads only engage at the very end, no room for longer screws, larger diameter won't work because of required head geometry. The holes are for all manner of bronze googaw that cannot be relocated either.

I guess I'll fill the holes with thickened epoxy and redrill pilot holes, but it always seems like the epoxy is just shattering to smithereens when I do that. Figured I'd check if anyone had better ideas for what to use. Skinny little dowel?
Yeah, epoxy, (depending upon fastener size/type,) usually ends up needing a larger sized pilot hole that wood does.
The hardened epoxy doesn't "flow" around the threads like wood.
Your idea of using dowels, (glued in with epoxy,) is a much-used procedure for re-fastening screws in many applications in wooden boat repair.
Because of the grain difference you need to be careful with pilot hole location, as the drill bit can tend to wander, but good results can be obtained.
The use of "Brad point" drill bits work much better than the common twist drill for this type of work.
Old 08-06-2022, 16:58   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

For spots that don't show, like cabinet hinge screws, I've used toothpicks and wood glue. Just paint the toothpicks with wood glue, tap as many as you can into the hole to fill it, and cut whatever sticks out flush. When you put the new screw in you usually do not need a pilot hole as the toothpicks are pretty soft wood.

I don't know that I'd want to do this somewhere that shows unless you are sure the fastener heads will cover it.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 16:59   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Hi Folks,

You could try slivers of timber driven in with a little polyurethane or epoxy glue, in essence reconstructing the timber so the screws will hold. Thickened epoxy will only shatter when you use wood screws into it.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 18:21   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Drill the holes to 1/4" (6 mm). use a small (1/4") hole saw to make plugs in a teak plank. (or buy them) Chisel out all the plugs you need. paint them with varnish, and tap them in. You can align the grain if you like. When the epoxy has cured, chisel them flat, then tap the new teak. If all the teak wants varnishing, now's the time to do it. If you like, you can dip the screws in a tiny bit of sealant when you put them in.
Only screw them in snug, do NOT overtighten. All you need is snug.

Ann
Old 08-06-2022, 18:59   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

If you are concerned about the epoxy "shattering to smithereens", add mill fibers with cabo-sil...easy peasy.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:44   #7

Boat: Trlåren 31

I'm just finishing repairing my teak hatch frame. I had several screws shear on removal which left half the screw still in the frame. After I drilled them out, I redrilled the hole to make it nice and plugged it with teak plugs I made from scrap with a plug cutter. I used epoxy thickened with wood flour to set the plugs and then trimmed the plug flush once the epoxy cured. Worked and looks great!
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:04   #8

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

Definitely best to use plugs. Screwing into end grain (e.g. dowels/toothpicks) gives a weaker hold than straight grain and is easier to drill where you want. Not that I haven't used both dowels and toothpicks on occasion
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 13:16   #9

Boat: Quickstep 24

Read West System recommendations. See page 32 in this:
https://www.westsystem.com/wp-conten...anual-2015.pdf

Be sure if you use epoxy and you want to remove the fastenings in the future that you wax the fastening threads before fastening them.
RiverRat37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 13:51   #10

Thread-serts and machine screws?
Redrill, screw in, done!
I prefer the hex drive type, these are slot head drive brass:
https://www.amazon.com/Z-400-006-Thr...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51DK+4fhQ5L._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	259297  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 14:19   #11
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Hi Folks,

I had some old empty holes in the cockpit that I just overdrill and then inserted a short glued dowell.

If I need to reuse the same hole I'll tap some small wood pieces into the hole and then use the same screw...works every time.
Old 09-06-2022, 14:43   #12

Boat: Nonsuch 354

Get some wooden dowel rod of an appropriate size. Drill out the old hole, then glue the dowels into the resized holes. Sand them flush and then redrill the screw holes. If you can match the wood or stain and it will look great too. You can find dowels like mahogany and teak in woodworking stores. The cheapest and most common dowels are poplar, which takes stain well. You can make it look like almost any wood.
Old 09-06-2022, 15:02   #13

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

If it doesn't need to come apart again I would drill oversize holes down to where the screw starts to grip.
Fill hole with thickened but injectable epoxy
Screws back in while epoxy is liquid.

I have done many fittings like this over the years in timber
Never had a fail or rot.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 17:25   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Thread-serts and machine screws?
Redrill, screw in, done!
I prefer the hex drive type, these are slot head drive brass:
https://www.amazon.com/Z-400-006-Thr...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Really like this idea.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 17:43   #15

Boat: 2004 Lien Waa 46' custom motorsailer

A quick fix that holds is to put a short piece of heavy monofiliment line in the hole to take up slack around the original screw. I have done this many times as a "temporary" fix and it's still there.
Motorsailer4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, dsc, wood