Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2021, 17:57   #1

Boat: Alajuela Crealock 37
Bad boom; what to do?

Crealock 37 from 1978.
Trying to rev her up.
Topping lift was stuck. Finally got a look at back of boom. Sheave was completely frozen. So, unscrewed the box that contains the TL and outhaul sheaves. It was heavily corroded. I am now at a “point” exactly 1/2 across the ocean with the following challenges:
1) Sheave is pressed in and cannot easily be removed; likely needing whole rear SS mechanism changed out. This vs “go to town” on the frozen corroded sheave to free it but not at all confident in success of that... This fixture is from 1978 on a LeFiell boom (doubt its available).
2) When i put the fixture (not sure what else to call it), back in its home at back of boom, at least 1 screw would not thread because of corrosion (5 of 6 did). I probably need to tap it up a size?
3) The ropes for T lift and outhaul need replaced but getting to the free end inside boom is a mystery. Probably need to unscrew/pry the cap closest to mast and go inside there to find free end. Its corroded a little there as well. Not sure if it will work.
4) Options are a) just go for it until its fixed or not, b) dont replace the ropes for TL and outhaul yet and get it back together with the 1 screw to fix with a retap and just hobble along until I take the mast down next winter, or c) f#$% it and get a new boom.
*Note, we are new sailors in PNW out of Seattle just want to sail a little bit this season to get used to the boat. Outhaul works and topping lift can probably be jury-rigged for a season.

Please help me know best option and absolute wrong option (if there is one). Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB370CEE-394F-4C15-B538-0A6A261A0541.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	232871   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F0ECA6F-2E49-45A5-97E1-2DF19924CB5F.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	232872  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0D76D921-35EE-424E-B283-C97979D390E1.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	232873  
AmzngGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 18:18   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO469
Re: Bad boom; what to do?

Is the whole boom that corroded? If you just bought this boat was it surveyed?
It looks in your few areas of photos that this is not in good condition, was it missed on inspection and sea trial? Or accepted as is?
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 18:34   #3

Boat: Grampian 26

Wish I could add some handy technical advice here but I really can't. I'm not sure if I'm surprised or amazed that you've made it half way across an ocean in this state. Nothing in your pictures looks like recent issues. Surprised that somebody deemed this crossing ready.
On the other hand a seriously big +1 for getting her that far and I'll be following this thread to see you've made it.

Fair winds [emoji569]
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 18:57   #4

I am very sorry for my creative license on OP.
1. Wasn’t surveyed. Long story. Got the boat from original owner who then passed away. I was essentially granted the boat to help with the remaining elderly spouse. Etc etc. Hasn’t been sailed for a # of years. YES it is all like that. Boom worse than mast...
2. Sorry used half way cross ocean figuratively only. Sitting at a marina in Seattle now.

really just want suggestions MOVING FORWARD. Not what I should have done.
Old 19-02-2021, 19:20   #5

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

I would endeavor to clean and lubricate, rinse out and chase the one threaded hole with the same size tap, buy new machine screws, and reassemble with new lines. Also take steps against stainless-to-aluminum corrosion. Having a machine shop replace the sheaves and pin might be an option too if it does not clean up and there are no spares to be had.
Old 19-02-2021, 20:12   #6

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

1.) Find a similar triple exit box, if smaller there's a gap you can fill or not, if bigger, cut out the boom a little.

2.) Take the box to a machine shop and have them replicate it.

3.) Drill out the pin, clean up the box, and order custom sheaves from Zephyr.

4.) Buy some cheek blocks and run the lines external on the boom. (You have room to put one block on the track for the reefing lines.)
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 05:12   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I apologize for my previous message. I didn’t mean to sound snarky but more info helped. My actual point might be worth considering though. If you are new to sailing and this is your first boat and some parts of the boat seem in need of a bit more than “routine maintenance”- It might be worth having a good surveyor or trusted knowledgeable friend take a good hard look at the boat. Perhaps before you rerig the boom or have custom parts produced it could be worth finding out what is likely to be next and if anything else needs work right now. There is a lot of learning that occurs when you take part in a boat survey. Some items that look like a big problem aren’t. And some that seem a bit worn can be dangerous. Some repairs are inexpensive and some will cost a lot. A “free” boat can turn out to be a great start in sailing or a big money hole. So I think learning the boat before fixing it up is worth the time and expense.
I learned from experience that it can take some research to find a good surveyor but the good ones are worth waiting for.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 06:37   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
1.) Find a similar triple exit box, if smaller there's a gap you can fill or not, if bigger, cut out the boom a little.

2.) Take the box to a machine shop and have them replicate it.

3.) Drill out the pin, clean up the box, and order custom sheaves from Zephyr.

4.) Buy some cheek blocks and run the lines external on the boom. (You have room to put one block on the track for the reefing lines.)

This is the answer. Depending how handy you are would put steps in an "order" to try as 3, 2 1 and lastly 4.

Can't see from the pic if the sheaves have a metal sleeve on the inside of the sheave or not. If it does have a metal sleeve, it could be corroded to the shaft. Would try to soak the whole thing in vinegar to remove mineral deposits/salt that are most likely stuck between the bearing surface and shaft. This may take a bit of time and could free it up (then lube well). Most likely will happen again unless you add it to the maintenance schedule.

Removing the corrosion to free the sheaves will also make removing the pin/shaft easier. Again, can't see how the pin is set in the box, but should be able to drill out ends near shaft (probably welded in) and knock pin out. Would get delrin sheaves that fit the shaft (may or may not need to be custom), then you will be good for a long time.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 06:51   #9

Thanks all.
I have posted a number of items that receive comments about corrosion control. Some areas of the aluminum mast and boom are obviously more corroded than others. I am finding that proximity to attachments are usually worse off. What is the proper care plan for a newer smaller problem area, a bad area and a brand new area that hasn’t gotten bad yet. I think it maybe like a person with family hx of cardiac problems. Lifestyle changes early, BP meds later then heart surgery latest then the inevitable... What is the progressing of care from early to late?
Old 20-02-2021, 09:02   #10

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I think the boom on a Crealock 37 is no more than 14 feet. You could make a new wooden one for less than $500
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 09:42   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

The boom doesn't look all that bad to me. It needs to be sandblasted, primed and painted. You could send the block assembly to Garhauer in California and ask them to replicate it or refurbish it - they are good at that.

The key to the boom finish staying good is how it is re-assembled. Thin, stiff plastic sheet should be between the stainless and the aluminum. Duralac or Tefgel should be used on all the screws. I prefer Duralac because it hardens up, Tefgel is a grease and screws can loosen on their own.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 09:52   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

For the stripped out bolt you might use a rivit nut. They provide threaded inserts.

I would he surprised if you cant get the sheaves free. Time, persistence, PB Blaster, heat will eventually make it right.

I am a little confused about the free end of hour topping lift. My topping lift goes from the end of the boom, to the mast head and down to a winch.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 09:54   #13

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I would say it depends on what you are going to do with her. If it is local and W/E sailing around the sound and southern gulf Island just clean it all up and get it back together. If you are contemplating longer trips offshore or up north the areas like Desolation Sound or the inside passage definitely replace the boom and get a rigger to look at the mast and rigging. Failure of any of those in the remote areas of the west cost would be very serious.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 10:21   #14

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmzngGrace View Post
I am very sorry for my creative license on OP.
1. Wasn’t surveyed. Long story. Got the boat from original owner who then passed away. I was essentially granted the boat to help with the remaining elderly spouse. Etc etc. Hasn’t been sailed for a # of years. YES it is all like that. Boom worse than mast...
2. Sorry used half way cross ocean figuratively only. Sitting at a marina in Seattle now.

really just want suggestions MOVING FORWARD. Not what I should have done.
I think it's high time you got a professional surveyor on that boat to enlighten you on what it really needs (could well be a lot more than just a boom) Glad to hear you're still at the dock which is where you should stay until the kinks have been ironed out. If it turns out you have a lot of issues, you'll find it's cheaper to haul out and put the boat on the hard as opposed to leaving it in a marina. Free boats are rarely cheap.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 10:42   #15

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

LeFiell is still in business and selling some replacement parts for these old masts.

Missile