Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2021, 13:44   #1

Questions about hydrolysis and blisters concerning polyester resin and fiberglass

At what point does hydrolysis happen to polyester fiberglass?

When water is introduced to polyester fiberglass, does hydrolysis immediately begin?

Is there water content in all polyester fiberglass sailboat hulls that have been sitting in the water for a long time?

If hydrolysis has occurred does that mean that applications of layers on top of that fiberglass are less likely to stick and stay put?

Can a polyester boat hull become completely destroyed by water without ever showing any blisters?
Blisterlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 15:30   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Questions about hydrolysis and blisters concerning polyester resin and fiberglass

I have not seen any boat destroyed by osmosis yet. But I can easily imagine this is very likely in a badly blistered boat in any place where water freezes.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 16:02   #3

Boat: Skye 51
Re: Questions about hydrolysis and blisters concerning polyester resin and fiberglass

I’ve never seen a boat lost due to osmosis but I have seen boats severely damaged by people trying to repair/fix osmosis. Peeling hulls or grinding out blisters so deep the integrity of the hull is compromised beyond repair. The cure is sometimes worse than the disease.

Tags
blisters, fiberglass