Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2023, 17:18   #16

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Re: Are these standing rigging hardware seaworthy?

First up ,get the entire rig surveyed by a knowledgeable rigging surveyor ,plus the chain plates ,all of them ,remove if bolted in as the bolts can also fail, check and check again dropping the rig may not be cheap but the best way to go ,if more than ten years old replace the lot and carefully inspect the spars as well .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 18:48   #17

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Don't walk away - RUN!!
The condition of that mast boot tells me all I need to know about how long that boat has been neglected for. I will take a punt and say that standing rigging has not been replaced since the boat was built. Replacing that - including all the turn buckles and probably also the chain plates - is not going to happen for $1000. At least not on the planet I live on.

Oh...its an Oyster? OK.... buying this boat would be the equivalent of buying a rusted out Rolls Royce.
Old 27-07-2023, 22:14   #18
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

First of all get a date on the age of the hardware and rigging - If over 10 years (hardware definitely is) then no professional rigger will sign off as safe and if the hardware fails being over 10 years then most insurance companies will not pay out, as they are now requiring the hardware be changed with the rigging every 10 years.

By the look of the studs I'd say the 1/19 Cable is also over 10 years, so you will need a full re-rig. The mast boot, whilst showing lack of maintenance is an easy fix, as the mast will come out when you redo the rigging - Do look for leaks though and any damaged caused by this!

Get a professional rigger and shipwright for the chainplates in to negotiate the price down to cover the cost of all of this.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 22:28   #19

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

If someone is telling you that rigging is good to go, there is going to be lots of other gear that is absolute trash that is good to go.

With that much rust on a stainless fitting (the swaged end on the wire) I wouldn't trust it out of the harbor.
Old 28-07-2023, 04:35   #20

Community Sponsor

As others have said, that rigging definitely looks suspect, and replacing it will certainly cost a few thousand $$ unless you are very hands on, in which case you can save about half on the labor portion.
Still... as mentioned above by many, the fact that the owner is casually telling you the rigging is "fine", when it clearly isn't (there is a lot of corrosion on the one swage stud you posted a picture of), tells me there is likely a LOT of other deferred maintenance and this person had more of a "fix it when it breaks" mindset, as opposed to preventative maintenance.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 09:42   #21

Boat: Bavaria 36'

Standing rigging suffers from fatigue and it is generally recommended that it is replaced every ten years. At ten years old the rigging often looks perfect but is suffering from hidden internal wear which is not detectable even by x-rays. My view is that if it looks in poor condition and the age is unknown it should be changed.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 09:51   #22

Boat: Catalina 30

I would be concerned about the condition of the chain plates below the deck.

When was the last time they were pulled and inspected for crevice corrosion/cracks?

They usually fail without warning and at the worst time...

Cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 06:24   #23

By Just glancing over your photos I would say replace it. It is not like it is off the show room floor.
You don’t have to tell the owner that. Though make your offer with that in mind. if you want to mess with rigging replacement.
Though you didn’t mention it. The teak decks would be my concern.

Good luck!
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:26   #24

I think that the fact this hardware does not seem to match what the owner says would make me start questioning other claims about the boat.
ryanjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 13:22   #25

Boat: Edel 35

This boat is likely to have structural issues , not just rigging .
Pictures are showing deck repairs around or under the chainplates. That means leaks and corroded chainplates and rotten bulkheads the chainplates are attached to.
This boat will take significant time (aka boatyard fees for months of repairs ) and labor to repair/refit and this may be the largest expense , not the parts that need replacing. A few large turnbuckles and SS cables are insignificant in comparison.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware, rigging, seaworthy