Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2023, 14:13   #1

Boat: SHE 31
Interior Long Lasting Paint

Good Evening all,

I have recently become the proud owner of a SHE 31 (Image 1) , it's a complete project boat and I've decided I'm going to minimise the upkeep in the future. I'm currently in the process of removing the old lining in favour of a painted interior, ideally creating an easy to maintain wipe clean surface. I want to preserve some of the wood as it's a lovely cosy interior, however there are some problem areas that I feel would be easier now and in future to paint over, please see (Image 2) for example of surfaces to be painted.

The question I'm asking is;

What paint would you recommend using to create a wipe clean surface in the future, capable of withstanding live aboard levels of wear.

Any suggestions or advice is more than welcome!!

Fair winds and cold beers,

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5986.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	279028   Click image for larger version

Name:	6734fef5-9a0b-412d-a714-dd14c6855d22.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	279029  

Peanut98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 14:40   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Interior Long Lasting Paint

I recommend you clean and sand that, then use an epoxy primer to stabilize it all. I recommend TotalProtect if you’re in the US or Interprotect 2000.

For finish coat you must know it becomes more durable as it is more glossy, but high gloss isn’t my preference for interiors. I use oil based Rustoleum paint which is also available in Semi-gloss, satin etc.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 14:36   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Second Jedi's suggestion of Rustoleum enamels. They hold up well and look good. (Two different characteristics that are both important.)
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 14:40   #4

Some of that wood looks questionable. I wouldn't paint anything over punky wood.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 14:50   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you need to deal the mildew before painting.
Old 01-08-2023, 16:41   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

Well, you have to stabilize the surface first, get it dry and smooth. It may be useful to coat it with marine epoxy (WEST system or similar) as this will provide a relatively inexpensive substrate that can be sanded and painted. There are primer systems that are easier to apply and to sand, but that are more costly, including Interprotect mentioned upthread.

For topcoat you essentially have a choice of either one-part alkyd enamel (ideally fortified with urethane) or two-part linear polyurethane. Yes you can use rust-oleum, their porch and floor paint is best, or any of the marine topcoats which will cost about the same. In two-part your choices are Interlux Perfection, Awlgrip, and competing products.

The main problem with one-part is that it can take an extraordinarily long time dry (months) particularly if it is being absorbed deep into the wood in places or if the surface is uneven leading to areas with a thicker coat.

There are two problems with two-part. The first is that the system as a whole is expensive. The second is that it is toxic during the application process. However it is much more predictable and easy to apply, and will dry down properly unless you make a puddle 1/8" thick or something.
Old 01-08-2023, 16:57   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

OK ! Off the wall ... A few years back we painted the steps from our pilot house down to our V-berth with Home Depot white "porch paint". This is tougher stuff than any marine paint I've seen over three total gut/rebuilds and 30yrs of full time cruising/liveaboard.

Our bilges and engine compartment are now painted in this stuff and we love the extremely long lasting results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 engine.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	279061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement new.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	279062  

Old 01-08-2023, 18:19   #8

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
OK ! Off the wall ... A few years back we painted the steps from our pilot house down to our V-berth with Home Depot white "porch paint". This is tougher stuff than any marine paint I've seen over three total gut/rebuilds and 30yrs of full time cruising/liveaboard.

Our bilges and engine compartment are now painted in this stuff and we love the extremely long lasting results.
Hey poker do you know if the paint survived the "voc elimination war" and was it a Home Depot brand or was it something like Behr?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 18:28   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Hey poker do you know if the paint survived the "voc elimination war" and was it a Home Depot brand or was it something like Behr?
Just bought some more a week ago. Behr Premium low lustre Porch and patio paint.
Old 01-08-2023, 18:48   #10

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Just bought some more a week ago. Behr Premium low lustre Porch and patio paint.
[emoji106] thanks
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 21:50   #11

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Two pack polyurethane over an epoxy primer same as on the outside, lasts way longer than single pack.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, paint