Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2014, 11:52   #736
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Re: And So it Begins . . . Knottybuoyz' New Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I wonder if it would be easier to build a mold then lay in gelcoat and then glass. Maybe a heck of a lot less sanding.
Whatcha think?
Lil' late for that don'tcha think Del?

Rudder Madness! Web Log Updated: M/V She:Kon: Somethin' was buggin' me

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 12:04   #737

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Yeah! A lot late. But I was just thinking not suggesting.
I just about wore out my shoulders sanding and I'm glad it's mostly over except for painting now.

If anyone else were to get into this single handed, it would be something to consider.
Old 28-04-2014, 14:36   #738
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Goop going on the bottom panels. Gonna take a lot of it!

Web log updated: M/V She:Kon: Today's mission, should you choose to accept it
Old 28-04-2014, 16:23   #739

go Rick!
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 12:49   #740
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
go Rick!
Wish I could Warby. Down for the count. Gonna be out of commission for a bit. Abscess on a wisdom tooth that's gotta come out.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:57   #741
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok, back at it. Antibiotics are working and I get the offending tooth yanked on Monday.

Sanding fairing compound sucks. Yup it sucks. I know it's called 'Quickfair' but I wish it was called 'Easyfair". :lol:

Web Log Updated: M/V She:Kon: After a brief hiatus
Old 05-05-2014, 14:05   #742
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Unhappy Re: And So it Begins . . . Knottybuoyz' New Project

Meowouch!

Old 06-05-2014, 11:08   #743
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok, bum tooth is out. It was fractured all the way to the bottom of the root. Feeling much better now! Time to get back to friggin' work!

More poo going on the hull. I sanded some I laid down the other day and after 20 minutes it felt like my arms were going to fall off! A lil' outta shape ya think? Yup! I'll pay for it, dearly. If any of you guys have done this large area fairing before I'd appreciate any tips you might have!

Web Log Updated: M/V She:Kon: Weeskers in my Poo!
Old 06-05-2014, 15:13   #744

Hi Rick, I can only sympathise. The only time I used fairing epoxy I found it unbeleivably hard to sand. Only thing that worked for us was to get at it before it was fully hard, same day I think that meant. But please, I am a total novice, I'm sure someone has more tricks as I really felt there had to be an easier way
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 15:58   #745
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Ok, bum tooth is out. It was fractured all the way to the bottom of the root. Feeling much better now! Time to get back to friggin' work!

More poo going on the hull. I sanded some I laid down the other day and after 20 minutes it felt like my arms were going to fall off! A lil' outta shape ya think? Yup! I'll pay for it, dearly. If any of you guys have done this large area fairing before I'd appreciate any tips you might have!

Web Log Updated: M/V She:Kon: Weeskers in my Poo!

What grit are you using?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 17:04   #746

Boat: 44 footer

Watch yourself with the quick fair, it cures sanding hard in 3 hours... but the chemical reaction is still reactive until the next day. You can sensitize yourself if you do much more than "Cheese grate" the same day, meaning rashes and itches. I've had it give me blisters...

Carquest carries "Thickster" gloves that are $25 for 25 pair that last a good long while finger sanding, tape them up to your suit and you can keep more of the dust off yourself.

If your compressor is big enough 14+ CFM at 90PSI. Look into getting a

National Detroit 8 inch gear driven orbital "Mud hog."
Item Detail

I use 40 grit Green production paper, and 3M gold from 80-320 grit on them. In the primer stage you can jump from 80 to 320 with one of these and move mountains in a hurry.

Matching that, grab a Hutchins Orbital Inline:
Hutchins 3800 Orbital Action Long Board Air Sander - Power Random Orbit Sanders - Amazon.com

It isn't an Inline sander, but an orbital sander that happens to be a long board. I use 40 and 80 grit 3M production paper, F grade that come boxed up and wax paper backed over the adhesive. A 80 grit, I switch over to the red carborundum or gold rolls.

Grab some 3M marine hookit fairing boards, One stiff, and One flexible. They are 4 1/2 inches wide, and get Mirca Abranet HD rolls in 40 and 80 grit for them. The aluminum shoed boards aren't worth much as most of them arrive bent, make sure the stiff board is flat before you use it. Sometimes they go through a bad batch and the bottom of the hard boards only hit the ends.

Your Durablock long board is good for stuff the size of a car hood, or getting up around a stem or transom step... but it needs to be wider than 2 3/4 to keep the sides of the hull flat. 4 1/2 inches, does that.

Once you are fair in 40 grit with no low spots that are still shiny... sand out with 80 grit... Then start priming. I like to use Awlgrip Awlquick and Awlgrips Sprayable fairing compound almost exclusively.

Cheers,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 17:11   #747

Boat: 44 footer

Also, you'll like yourself a lot better in a couple weeks if you get a 3M full face respirator or a 3M 7500 series silicone half mask. The P100 filters take all the particulate out, but leave the fumes...

After a few boxes of sandpaper you are wheezing going up the stairs and hacking up hair balls... A lot of this stuff gets into your lungs and never leaves.

Once you hit 320 grit in the primer stage without a respirator it is like snorting a line of baking flour continuously without a mask. Dry eyes, dry nose, dry throat...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 17:12   #748
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quick fair is nasty stuff. I refuse to use it, or Awlquick. Much prefer WEST with 407 for anything that won't be gelcoated.

Old 06-05-2014, 18:04   #749
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
What grit are you using?
Wow! Thanks for all the input fella's. I guess I should have asked the question earlier!

To start with minaret, I'm at 60 grit right now, don't have 40. It pops the ridges off left behind by the bondo spreaders. I have all kinds of DuraGold paper in 60, 80, 120 & 240 in rolls and cut sheets.

I'm pretty much stuck with the Quickfair now with 3 gallons on hand so I gotta use what I got. I tried a couple of the recipe's guys gave me earlier, various mixtures of micro spheres, coloidal silica etc. and found them all harder to get consistent and most were a lot harder to sand. I don't think I'll have enough Quickfair to get me to the end so I might look at the West & 407 option if I can find it at a decent price.

I can't upgrade my air compressor at this stage. It's 30 gallon, 125 psi and only 6 cfm. Any bigger I'd have to go to 240 V and I don't have it on my panel. My compressor likely won't run an inline sander or any of the other tools that Zach mentioned. If I were going to do another boat I might think of upgrading but this one is IT and I gotta use what I got.

I do have a half face respirator with the 3M particulate filters. I have been using the paper masks up to this point though. I do wear the Tyvek shirts & Grease Monkey nitrile gloves, they're the best I could get around here. $40 for 50 pairs.

I ordered a 30" Flexicat last October. The US distributor has had problems with the Manufacturer in Europe. They moved their manufacturing facility in January and still aren't up to full production. Last word was it'll be shipped from the EU to US today. If they actually ship it I should have it in a week. I don't mind the manual labor and if the Flexicat lives up to it's reputation it'll make a big difference in how the fairing goes.

On the advice of the Flexicat distributor I ordered the RedLine RhynoGrip papers in 60, 80, 120, 240 & 320 so I think this should get the job done.

What do you guys usually spread your goop with? Did I miss anything?
Old 06-05-2014, 18:12   #750
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the input fella's. I guess I should have asked the question earlier!

To start with minaret, I'm at 60 grit right now, don't have 40. It pops the ridges off left behind by the bondo spreaders. I have all kinds of Gold paper in 60, 80, 120 & 240 in rolls and cut sheets.

I'm pretty much stuck with the Quickfair now with 3 gallons on hand so I gotta use what I got. I tried a couple of the recipe's guys gave me earlier, various mixtures of micro spheres, coloidal silica etc. and found them all harder to get consistent and most were a lot harder to sand. I don't think I'll have enough Quickfair to get me to the end so I might look at the West & 407 option if I can find it at a decent price.

I can't upgrade my air compressor at this stage. It's 30 gallon, 125 psi and only 6 cfm. Any bigger I'd have to go to 240 V and I don't have it on my panel. My compressor likely won't run an inline sander or any of the other tools that Zach mentioned. If I were going to do another boat I might think of upgrading but this one is IT and I gotta use what I got.

I do have a half face respirator with the 3M particulate filters. I have been using the paper masks up to this point though. I do wear the Tyvek shirts & Grease Monkey nitrile gloves, they're the best I could get around here. $40 for 50 pairs.

I ordered a 30" Flexicat last October. The US distributor has had problems with the Manufacturer in Europe. They moved their manufacturing facility in January and still aren't up to full production. Last word was it'll be shipped from the EU to US today. If they actually ship it I should have it in a week. I don't mind the manual labor and if the Flexicat lives up to it's reputation it'll make a big difference in how the fairing goes.

On the advice of the Flexicat distributor I ordered the RedLine RhynoGrip papers in 60, 80, 120, 240 & 320 so I think this should get the job done.

What do you guys usually spread your goop with? Did I miss anything?

Flexicat will be much better. Still a ton of work. Don't worry about air, a mud hog is only good for decks/relatively flat surfaces, and the Hutchins "hustler" is too small to properly rough fair a hull. No substitute for manual labor here. Consider hiring someone young, cheap, and reliable to help out. 60 is fine for this, you just need a bigger torture board. If quick fair is what you got, stick with it. Don't try to change horses mid stream, stick with one product. If you don't wanna spring for the Flexicat trowel, apply with 12" drywall knives and then screed with a batten. Get Zach to write you his usual treatise on screeding, he knows! If I was there, we'd build you a four man weighted torture board and fair your hull in a work week!

Tags
boat building, bow shed, construction, fairing, Flexicat, home built, paracelle, stitch & glue, trawler