Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2014, 10:47   #766
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Re: And So it Begins . . . Knottybuoyz' New Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I've always noticed the outer surface of epoxy was a little harder but once you got through the sheen then it cut pretty well.
Sure does Del. I hog it down with the RO first to take off the pointy stuff and the shine. After that it's smooth but tough going!

Just a diversion to put off doing real work. My buddy Peter suggested I use the GoPro on the boat hook to get some birds eye views of the boat. I dunno why I never thought of that. The wide angle lens of the GoPro distorts the perspective and makes the boat look like a beached whale (which it is).

Ok, 'nuff goofing off. Back to work!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 13:39   #767
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Nice. I prefer an alu angle iron to box beam, usually. Screed with the point of the "V"...
I'm going to give that a try on the next round of fairing minaret. What size angle? I have some 1" kicking around somewhere. I've tried the drywall knives but haven't had too much success with those.

I also found an old pool ball and am going to try to make a filleting tool out of it! Should work on the inside with all the obtuse angles to be filleted.
Old 24-05-2014, 21:23   #768
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
I'm going to give that a try on the next round of fairing minaret. What size angle? I have some 1" kicking around somewhere. I've tried the drywall knives but haven't had too much success with those.

I also found an old pool ball and am going to try to make a filleting tool out of it! Should work on the inside with all the obtuse angles to be filleted.

Size of angle iron depends on how sharp the curve you are going to screed is. On really curvy stuff you have to go back to bar. Sometimes I use cheap metal straight edges for this. 1" is OK for a lot of stuff though.

Last extra huge fillet ball I made was done with a ball hitch. The thread on the bottom was nice to thread onto a handle, but I had to fair out the flat spot on top. A pool ball would be sweet, as long as it holds up to solvents. Hmmm, Q ball or 8 ball?

That's a big fillet...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 21:28   #769
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

The sanding is getting a little easier! If you can believe that!

Nice! That's because the torture board is toning you up. Be careful, it gets easier and easier, then you get Popeye forearms, and then one day your rotator cuffs just explode and it's suddenly not so easy anymore again...

Old 26-05-2014, 14:05   #770
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I goofed off on Friday and went for a boat ride! My buddy was repositioning his Bolger from the storage yard to the marina in Montreal.

She's long and narrow but amazingly stable in a small chop, about 1' at most. Powered by a 50 HP Yamaha she skoots along nicely at 5 kts or so depending on the current.

I brought along my GoPro but hardly used it. Ended up yakkin' all along the way. I did manage to cobble together a few clips.

A day aboard M/V Turtle Bay - YouTube

On the way home I had to pass under the St. Lawrence Seaway at Beauharnois.

Melocheville tunnel under the Beauharnois Canal - YouTube

All in all it was a good day. No fire extinguishers needed to be pulled, no bilge pumps operated and no life jackets needed to be inflated.
Old 27-05-2014, 08:58   #771
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So while I'm sitting here waiting for the fairing compound to harden I got tinkering with Photoshop to figure out how to correct for the 'Fish Eye' affect the wide angle lens of the GoPro produces. I think I got it figured out.

Uncorrected photo:

Corrected photo:

This one's maybe more dramatic change.

Uncorrected:

Corrected:

This is a corrected photo of the one I posted the other day. I think it gives a better impression of the size & scale. Certainly looks more like what the naked eye sees.

Sandinsanity after lunch. Standby...
Old 27-05-2014, 11:00   #772
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Looking good. Just a point: don't get too carried away fairing the bottom. It's not a race boat, and the fish don't care. This is the easy part, save your time and energy for the top sides and decks.

Old 27-05-2014, 11:30   #773
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Looking good. Just a point: don't get too carried away fairing the bottom. It's not a race boat, and the fish don't care. This is the easy part, save your time and energy for the top sides and decks.
That's exactly what I'm doing. Put plenty of brain effort (between the two neurons I got left) to figure that out!

Remember I said something silly earlier about the sanding getting easier? Well, turns out it's not so much. Change the paper and it's right back to the pain!

I think I see the pattern here. Fill/Fair, Fill/Fair, Fill/Fair and with each step the defects get fewer and smaller.

Will I know instinctively when it's ready for high build epoxy primer or should I get a second opinion from the local body repair guy?
Old 27-05-2014, 13:48   #774
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm doing. Put plenty of brain effort (between the two neurons I got left) to figure that out!

Remember I said something silly earlier about the sanding getting easier? Well, turns out it's not so much. Change the paper and it's right back to the pain!

I think I see the pattern here. Fill/Fair, Fill/Fair, Fill/Fair and with each step the defects get fewer and smaller.

Will I know instinctively when it's ready for high build epoxy primer or should I get a second opinion from the local body repair guy?

General rule of thumb:

When you put a fairing batten on the hull to check for fairness, you should not be able to insert a piece of the grit you are working in between the batten and work surface anywhere.

Old 27-05-2014, 15:06   #775
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
General rule of thumb:

When you put a fairing batten on the hull to check for fairness, you should not be able to insert a piece of the grit you are working in between the batten and work surface anywhere.
Thanks minaret. I'm paying attention!

I think I'm pretty good with that on most of the sides. The only trouble spot I have to deal with is near the bow. In the pic below the dash-dot line is a pretty big concave section, same both sides. I think this happened when the panel seam on the right bent outward (dotted line) as I pulled the bow together. It happened slowly over the course of a couple of days before I noticed it.

I'd say the depth of the concave section is about twice the thickness of the 60 grit I'm using. I ran the batten down both sides of the hull today and it's really pretty good. A few minor spots along the tape seams.

There is/was a lot of stress in those panels when I stitched them together. The joint at the bow actually blew out on me before I got the seam taped. I pulled 1 too many stitches! Went off with a Bang! and I soil'd my breeches!

Old 27-05-2014, 19:09   #776
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Are you sure it's not supposed to be concave there? Is the other side the same? Have you checked the plan view on your lines drawing?

Old 28-05-2014, 02:09   #777
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Are you sure it's not supposed to be concave there? Is the other side the same? Have you checked the plan view on your lines drawing?
This is a pure stitch & glue boat from a pre-cut kit. There are no line drawings per se. Both sides appear to be the same. Could be a natural flexing of the plywood when it was pulled together at the bow. It's barely perceptible to the eye at this point.
Old 29-05-2014, 03:36   #778

I'm not a boat builder but I have refitted a steel boat previously. Take your time here I reckon until you're happy with the shape because it will bug you later if you rush this bit. Easy for me to say cause I'm not doing the work

It IS going to be beautiful!!!
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 09:23   #779
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
I'm not a boat builder but I have refitted a steel boat previously. Take your time here I reckon until you're happy with the shape because it will bug you later if you rush this bit. Easy for me to say cause I'm not doing the work

It IS going to be beautiful!!!
Thanks for looking in Warby. I'm going to do my best to make it the best I can. I'm no pro but I'm willing to sand till the cows come home to get it as perfect as possible. I've seen some really bad home made fiberglass boats and at first I thought they were ferro-cement boats.

I'll get there, eventually.
Old 29-05-2014, 09:27   #780
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I ran the batten down the stbd side in this video to see how fair it is. You can see about 1:00 in the concave portion start to show up. The taped chine is really a poor guide to use for fairness. There's no less than 11 layers of glass there. I did my best to feather the fabric edges but 11 layers on the chine to 3 layers on the sides leaves a pretty big job to fair out. I think I can probably live with it the way it is.

I had to correct the video for 'Fish Eye' because my straight edge looked curved in the raw video.

Test video for 'Fish Eye' correction - YouTube

Tags
boat building, bow shed, construction, fairing, Flexicat, home built, paracelle, stitch & glue, trawler