Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2020, 12:23   #76

Re: Adding TBT to bottom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVI View Post
proof?
SVI, beyond time to display some Forum Decorum.

Reference:

Try looking under H:

http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki...es_of_Mongolia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...stems_on_Ships
Old 14-02-2020, 12:26   #77

Quote:
63 countries out of 200 is not worldwide.
Fortunately, I am under Mongolian flag and perfectly legal.
The Convention was concluded in London on 5 October 2001 and entered into force on 17 September 2008. As of November 2018, it has been ratified by 81 states, which includes 79 United Nations member states plus the Cook Islands and Niue. A ratifying state agrees to enforce the prohibitions of the Convention on all ships flying its flag and on any ship that enters a port, shipyard, or offshore terminal of the state. The 81 ratifying states represent approximately 94 per cent of the gross tonnage of the world's merchant fleets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...stems_on_Ships
Old 14-02-2020, 12:40   #78
SVI

Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution

Time to go to Monaco flag ))
Old 14-02-2020, 12:41   #79
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Still waiting for you to back up your bold words...
Old 14-02-2020, 12:54   #80

Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	illegal goal post.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	208724  
Old 14-02-2020, 13:01   #81
SVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Still waiting for you to back up your bold words...
Who cares. Nobody checks anyway. And even if anyone checks (have you ever heard of that - "I painted Jotun, here is the invoice. I don't know what they put there"

In reality, most boats returning from Caribs to Europe in spring are painted Island 44+. Nobody cares.
Old 14-02-2020, 13:18   #82

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Who cares. Nobody checks anyway. [...]
In reality, most boats returning from Caribs to Europe in spring are painted Island 44+. Nobody cares.
So, if you think you won't get caught it is OK?

Outstanding moral argument

IIRC Oregon was the first to ban TBT in the US. Back then a team from the state traveled around to various boating groups giving a very informative presentation. It seems all of our coastal harbors are in shallow estuaries, as are our shellfish farms. The TBT leaching from boats in marinas was causing clams/oysters to be badly deformed and unsaleable. They begged us to not buy TBT paint from other states, or use TBT additive, as TBT was destroying the industry and the livelihoods of locals.

TBT is incredibly poisonous, and is a hazard to marine life as well as boatyard workers who don't realize that there are ***holes that still put it on their bottoms.

How about you straighten up and do the right thing?

Greg
Old 14-02-2020, 13:27   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I’m sure I noted this in an earlier post. Many in the Caribbean use Island 44 with TBT additive. We do. I never scrub the bottom. It is pristine at each haul out without a pressure wash. The stuff works because the new formulation keeps the toxin in the paint. When we leave the anchorage our TBT goes with us. If it didn’t stay in the paint, it wouldn’t work.

Other boats scrub the heck to remove barnacles and weed, leaving great clouds of their “approved” toxic paint behind.

I contend that the prohibitions were passed before any manufacture figured out how to keep the TBT in the paint. Many of the rules exempt commercial and military vessels. They also do not scrub their bottoms. If I have to use ineffective paint, I might as well use no paint and scrub the thing twice weekly.
Old 14-02-2020, 13:44   #84

Quote:
Who cares. Nobody checks anyway. And even if anyone checks (have you ever heard of that - "I painted Jotun, here is the invoice. I don't know what they put there"

The deformed oysters and whelks that have been induced to havesex changes, and 81 ratifying nations who believe one should be a good steward of our planet care; who places the wellbeing of others ahead of their own.

Some guidance:

Titus 2:7
Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity

Proverbs 3:27
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it.
Old 14-02-2020, 14:24   #85

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I’m sure I noted this in an earlier post. Many in the Caribbean use Island 44 with TBT additive. We do. I never scrub the bottom. It is pristine at each haul out without a pressure wash. The stuff works because the new formulation keeps the toxin in the paint. When we leave the anchorage our TBT goes with us. If it didn’t stay in the paint, it wouldn’t work.

Other boats scrub the heck to remove barnacles and weed, leaving great clouds of their “approved” toxic paint behind.

I contend that the prohibitions were passed before any manufacture figured out how to keep the TBT in the paint. Many of the rules exempt commercial and military vessels. They also do not scrub their bottoms. If I have to use ineffective paint, I might as well use no paint and scrub the thing twice weekly.
Just wrong. Island 44 is a self-polishing ablative bottom paint - which means the paint sloughs off when moving or in a current. This style paint was available when TBT was banned, and is damaging to the marine environment. Basically the friction of the water passing the paint (including TBT) removes the top layer (into the water) - the "self-polishing" part of the description. This exposes fresh paint with biocide to the water. The tin on the surface is exposed to the environment and poisons anything that it comes in contact with - not by being inert, but by chemically bonding with them and thus entering the environment. Boats stored in still water will attract growth as the surface tin is depleted (meaning the poison has entered the local water). Once underway the growth and depleted paint will come off, exposing more tin to the environment. Of course boats in marinas located in tidal or river currents will continue to release tin even when not in use.

Ablative paint should be better for local waters near marinas than leaching paint, which is continually dissolving tin into the water even when not moving, but it is still damaging. Cleaning ablative paint in the water is discouraged and often illegal: it releases a lot of toxins. If cleaning is going to be part of the regular maintenance then hard, slippery, non-toxic paint is recommended.

Greg
Old 14-02-2020, 14:24   #86
SVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Some guidance:

Titus 2:7
Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity

Proverbs 3:27
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it.
Wrong shot - I am Muslim
Old 14-02-2020, 14:27   #87
SVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Just wrong. Island 44 is a self-polishing ablative bottom paint -

Greg
Ok, let's mix it with coppercoat and epoxy. That would be one badass paint...
Old 14-02-2020, 14:30   #88
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

TBT doesn't seem to so effective on trolls; in fact there is a body of evidence on CF that suggest they thrive on it.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 14-02-2020, 14:34   #89

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

not read the full thread here, however couple of years ago i mixed 10% super high strength round up, with altex # 5

worked an absolute treat. first effective anti-foul i've seen since tbt was phased out

not had the opportunity to do it again, but definitely would

(was originally given the tip by some guys in coffs hrb...they said you could tell who was using it 'cause not only was there no growth on their boat, but also no growth on the marina pen around them...)

cheers,
Old 14-02-2020, 14:55   #90
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Who cares.
Well, not you, that's for sure. Not only can you not admit you're wrong but you obviously don't give a rat's ass about what you do to the environment we all share. Once again you've shown us all what kind of person you are.
Closed Thread

Tags
bottom paint, paint