Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2014, 22:02   #1

Boat: Ed Hostman Tristar 38 Trimaran
Yanmar 3hmf alternator upgrade

I have an 80's era 3hmf whose alternator stopped working. It has a lot of corrosion and I'd like to just replace it now that I'm drying out my engine compartment and want regular dependability. The replacement part is a 35amp Alternator of which a number of aftermarket companies readily sell. I would like to have something that will charge at a higher rate as I don't run the engine for very long. I try to keep the engine running for 20 minutes minimum but that is already longer than necessary to get sailing.

Anyway, I heard the 80 amp alternator requires so much tension on the belt for the 3hmf that it will damage the water pump unless a second belt is added. I'd rather not go through so much trouble and think maybe the 55 amp alternator the 3GM's come with would be a good balance to keep a single belt with a little more amperage. Does anyone know if putting the 55amp alternator designed to fit the 3GM models will mount up without a problem and if this is a reasonable thing to do?

Or am I asking for trouble and just go with the 35amp stock alternator?

TIA
CapnBrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, yanmar