Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2019, 14:17   #16
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Yanmar 3gm30f hard to bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlager View Post
It takes a very long time to bleed the system using the manuel fuel feed pump on our Yanmar 3gm30f.

Any ideas ?
Close the seawater intake valve, have someone hit the start button while you crack the injector pump feed, open the seawater intake.

Manual pumps are a waste of time and effort, when one has the power of a 12 Vdc starting motor to operate the lift pump at their fingertips.

No need to crack the individual injectors, high pressure side is self bleeding.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 15:47   #17

Boat: Pearson 303

Is the primary filter fuel of diesel fuel? Using the manual lift pump to fill the primary filter with diesel will take forever if there is no siphon from the fuel tank.

You need an assist to establish the siphon from the fuel tank which will quickly fill the primary filter and bowl with diesel fuel. Once the primary filter is full the lift pump will move the fuel to the secondary filter bleed screw and you should be good.

For a Racor Primary Filter, You will need a squeeze bulb, length of fuel line, and a barb threaded fuel fitting. Put the fitting on the hose, put the squeeze bulb in middle of the line. Be sure to place the squeeze bulb arrow in the direction you want the diesel to flow. Racor filter heads have ports on both sides use the one that will flow diesel the direction you want and screw the threaded end of the fitting into the opposite port on the Racor head. Good idea to have a small container to catch any diesel.

It will take just a couple of "squeezes" on the bulb and you will have a siphon and a full primary filter and bowl. Note: if your problem is air getting into the line you must find where air is getting into the line. Note: if you need to find an air leak let me know.

Good Luck
Capt Y Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 22:01   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I, too, saw the YouTube video about adding a priming bulb to the fuel line before the fuel filter. Works great, takes just a few minutes to push all the air out of the fuel line up to the injectors.

My only concern is if the priming bulb normally used with gasoline/benzine is fuel resistant to diesel.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 02:49   #19

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Attached a picture from my Racor RMAM 230, the priming pump is the knurled knob on top. Took me only a couple of years to find this out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1A5E4E1-BDBF-4FEB-94E0-18386990A03D.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	200557  
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 04:25   #20
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

FYI: there are squeeze bulbs that are diesel and gasoline compatible. also the yanmar manual says you do not need to bleed to the injectors .. just to the HP pump.
Old 26-09-2019, 05:36   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
FYI: there are squeeze bulbs that are diesel and gasoline compatible. also the yanmar manual says you do not need to bleed to the injectors .. just to the HP pump.

I’ve not found one that is allowed or certified for below deck use, but I have not really searched either.
Do you know of one? If not certified for below deck use, then any Insurence survey ought to require its removal.
It’s similar to using auto parts fuel hose, it may work, but isn’t allowed.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, yanmar