Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2019, 05:53   #1

Boat: Pearson 365
Will my boat fall over

Removing my Perkins aka Westerbeke 40 from my P365 sloop. I am on the hard and the crane can't reach. Thinking of using the boom supported by halyards to lift it out of the cabin and drop it over the side, Engine weight 450 pounds. Is this safe? Will jackstaand support the boat or will it fall off the stands?
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 06:14   #2

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Re: Wi;ll my boat fall over

450#s hanging over the side is at least 6 feet off the centerline. That’s at least 2400#s of leverage, do you think the stands are designed to deal with that? Is the keel secured such that the boat won’t roll even if the stands can hold their positions? If you think so try it and report back, what’s the worst that could happen.....?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 06:30   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
Removing my Perkins aka Westerbeke 40 from my P365 sloop. I am on the hard and the crane can't reach. Thinking of using the boom supported by halyards to lift it out of the cabin and drop it over the side, Engine weight 450 pounds. Is this safe? Will jackstaand support the boat or will it fall off the stands?
I lifted the 650# engine out of my Columbia 36 that way with no problems. Keep in mind that when you lift something with a crane (in this case the mast and boom) the center of gravity of the load is at the top of the crane, here 40 something feet above the deck. That's a hell of a long lever arm. There'll be no threat until you swing the boom to the side to get the engine over the ground. Don't swing any farther than you have to. In my case I didn't have a boat next to me so I was able to back my truck up partially under the boat so I only had to barely clear the hull side. Actually I lowered it to the height of the bed then backed under it, if something had let go with the engine 10 feet above the truck bed it would have gone right through it. The engine was already dead so I didn't much care if it fell to the ground.
Just make sure the stands are solid and on firm ground. Some boatyards in hurricane territory have tie down points like at an airport for parked planes. Can you rig something like that, maybe a halyard run to an anchor point of some kind on the side opposite the lift? Have you asked the yard about it? They probably have an opinion as well, and might tell you not to do it.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 06:44   #4

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

The complicated way is to calculate the moment of torque twisting/rotating your boat over at the point of maximum extension. The simple way is to counter balance it somehow by loading the opposite side to at least the rail with an equivalent amount of weight. Perhaps a percentage more weight since it won't be cantilevered over the side like the engine will. Sandbags would be easy enough. One by one load sandbags of that weight onto the deck at centerline. Lift the engine up. Start pushing the boom over and at the same time load the sand bags over to the opposite rail. Add 10 percent or so to the weight side extra and you should have a more or less neutral moment, meaning the boat is not trying to rotate. When you slowly ease it onto the flatbed, maybe get someone to load the sandbags one by one back to the centerline.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 06:47   #5

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

If it were me, I'd be using a spin pole or something else with a halyard to offset. Tether to truck on opposite side.

My boat is on pavement with jackstands so I think it would be ok but it seems fairly easy to rig up a "preventer" in this case as the consequences would be severe.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 06:51   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

If you want cheap insurance buy some of these and a couple of heavy duty cargo straps. Do like they do for hurricane prep. It’s pretty cheap insurance if you are unsure.

IMHO it’s really not about the stands, it’s about the grounds ability to support the stands. Stands can sink, and when they sink that increases the weight on the so they sink more. Be especially careful after a good rain. Weakens the earth.

https://www.google.com/search?q=heli...iw=736&bih=331
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 07:07   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I would park my car on the opposite side and tie a halyard to it’s hitch
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 07:12   #8

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Winner.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 08:07   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

When using the boom and rigging as a crane like this, how are y'all deciding how much lifting weight that can handle without parting something? I have been doing some rough calculations using high school physics and geometry and quite a bit of safety margin, but when it comes time to do the actual lifting, I'll admit to a bit of anxiety.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 08:14   #10

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I would tie several halyards to to point on the boom where the engine is located for backup. And tie those points back to the end of the boom to prevent slippage.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 08:16   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:

+1...
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 08:25   #12

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Or secure the halyard (on the opposite side) to something secure on the ground. This transfers all the off set weight to whatever you attach the halyard to.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 08:29   #13

Re: Will my boat fall over

Did you not discuss your plans with the yard ahead of time? Why would you knowingly get placed in a location inaccessible to the crane when you're doing a repower?

I'd have the boat moved. That would be the safest and easiest way. If you hire a crane and the engine or boat is damaged, that is on the crane service. They are professionals, carry insurance and are familiar with how to do the process safely. You haul it yourself and it's on you.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 08:37   #14

Boat: Beneteau

Make up a temporary cradle out of four by four or six by six to be sure. That along with the stands will do it without much concern.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 09:17   #15

Boat: Union 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Did you not discuss your plans with the yard ahead of time? Why would you knowingly get placed in a location inaccessible to the crane when you're doing a repower?

I'd have the boat moved. That would be the safest and easiest way. If you hire a crane and the engine or boat is damaged, that is on the crane service. They are professionals, carry insurance and are familiar with how to do the process safely. You haul it yourself and it's on you.
+1
Or hire a crane with longer reach.
It’s all about risk tolerance and your ability to effectively plan/live with the end result.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat