Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2019, 09:57   #31

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Will my boat fall over

If replacing the rear seal did not stop the leak you probably need a rebuild. The blow-by increases the crank case pressure and forces the oil past the seal. The only solution is new rings which means a full rebuild.

I had the same problem with my 4-108 and chose to replace it rather than rebuild.

stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 10:31   #32

Boat: Pearson 365

Stormalong, Wouldn't I see blue smoke out the exhaust as well? My exhaust is invisible. Not sure its still the rear seal either-I replaced it with a teflon rope seal, but I am a novice at best and I did it in place in 100 degree heat so it might still be the seal. Given the saddle the engine sits in, its impossible to determine if the rear seal is the leaking point as it leaks form the pan, front seal, valve cover gasket-you name the leak source and it leaks. Even if it needed a rebuild, I would be tempted to do it myself-I'm cheap and I like to understand my systems cold.

jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 11:09   #33

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
Stormalong, Wouldn't I see blue smoke out the exhaust as well? My exhaust is invisible. Not sure its still the rear seal either-I replaced it with a teflon rope seal, but I am a novice at best and I did it in place in 100 degree heat so it might still be the seal. Given the saddle the engine sits in, its impossible to determine if the rear seal is the leaking point as it leaks form the pan, front seal, valve cover gasket-you name the leak source and it leaks. Even if it needed a rebuild, I would be tempted to do it myself-I'm cheap and I like to understand my systems cold.
Well, all I can say is I replaced the seal and it still leaked - no smoke. I consulted with a couple of Perkins experts and their recommendation was a rebuild. How many hours on your engine?

Mine still started immediately and ran like a top but dripped a lot of oil. If you are going to do it yourself you will probably need to take it to a machine shop to bore/hone the cylinders or the sleeves may need replacing which will also require a machine shop to plane down the new sleeves once inserted.

In my case the engine only had 5600 hours on it. I have heard too many stories of rebuild nightmares and decided to replace it. The boat was underpowered so the decision to upgrade was pretty easy. I made a wish list of what I didn't like about the 4-108 and went searching for a better choice. I settled on a Beta 50 with some customizations and it has been a great engine. The cost of a rebuild came close to the cost of a new, larger engine and if any extra work was involved with the rebuild would have pushed the cost over the price of a new Beta. This was in 2003 and I was in England. Working directly with the Beta factory the price was about half today's U.S. price for a new one.

The Perkins was a great engine for it's time but is is basically a 1940's design. Almost identical to the 4-107 it replaced in the Perkins product line. Diesel engine technology has advanced a bit since then.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 14:28   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Removing my Perkins aka Westerbeke 40 from my P365 sloop. I am on the hard and the crane can't reach. Thinking of using the boom supported by halyards to lift it out of the cabin and drop it over the side, Engine weight 450 pounds. Is this safe? Will jackstaand support the boat or will it fall off the stands?
Had you considered lifting it on deck plated with a sheet of plywood and rolling it to your gunnel, via a cradle and pipe. Possibly having it lifted from there? A cherry picker could lift 450#. Sometimes there is more than one way to skin a cat.
It would be a lot less strain on your rigging and hull at the jack stands.
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 17:45   #35

Boat: Pearson 365

Cadence,
Great suggestion. I just corresponded with a feloow 365 owner who did exactly what I propose, same engine. I think I'm good (but still going to see if the yard can get close enough to use their crane)
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 17:47   #36

Boat: Gulf 32 & Nimble 20
Re: Wi;ll my boat fall over

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
If you want cheap insurance buy some of these and a couple of heavy duty cargo straps. Do like they do for hurricane prep. Itís pretty cheap insurance if you are unsure.

IMHO itís really not about the stands, itís about the grounds ability to support the stands. Stands can sink, and when they sink that increases the weight on the so they sink more. Be especially careful after a good rain. Weakens the earth.

https://www.google.com/search?q=heli...iw=736&bih=331

If you go the ground screw route I would go with something burlier:
https://americanearthanchors.com/pro...rs-penetrators

-- Bass
Old 18-12-2019, 09:05   #37

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'
Re: Wi;ll my boat fall over

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I would park my car on the opposite side and tie a halyard to itís hitch
Great idea!!!!! +1
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 11:17   #38
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Of course, the yard will be horrified and tell you to stop the moment they see you rigging up. Assuming the yard rigged the boat, you really need to get their permission before you do anything that affect the blocking.

These stands are built for balance, not this. Read the instructions art Brownell boat stands.

Amateur rigging always makes me cringe.
Old 18-12-2019, 11:56   #39

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Cadence,
Great suggestion. I just corresponded with a feloow 365 owner who did exactly what I propose, same engine. I think I'm good (but still going to see if the yard can get close enough to use their crane)
Just a suggestion. Check your insurance. Not knowing your yard lay out, in the small likelihood your boat goes over and causes a cascade effect. You may want an umbrella insurance policy to cover your butt. Since you are doing it the yard would deny any responsibility.
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 07:48   #40

Hire a crane or. rent a back hoe. You can rent the back hoe for around $300 a day or less. If youíre replacing a diesel another $300 is just a drop in the bucket.
wing15601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 08:32   #41

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

For my money, 2 sets of scaffold either side, a beam with block and tackle across the boat and NO WORRIES, Did this on a bigger boat and didn't worry about all the twisting and pulling to get the engine thru the hatch
Bill

QUOTE=jpendoley;3037321]Removing my Perkins aka Westerbeke 40 from my P365 sloop. I am on the hard and the crane can't reach. Thinking of using the boom supported by halyards to lift it out of the cabin and drop it over the side, Engine weight 450 pounds. Is this safe? Will jackstaand support the boat or will it fall off the stands?[/QUOTE]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 09:17   #42

Boat: Murena 30 1/2 tonner, Colvic Victor 41, Beneteau Blue 2

Not a lot of help I know, but I did mine in the water, tied along side in the marina - didn't heel very much.
Good Luck

Dwayne
Dwayne Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 10:19   #43

I just rebuilt my Westerbeke 40 last summer.

They are easy engines to work on.

https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-4-107/

As for getting it off the boat, does the yard have a forklift? Or a hydraulic manlift? If you get it on the deck, it would not be that hard to put down some beams and slide it on to the platform of a manlift.

Getting it on to the deck can be a bit of a struggle!
rvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 10:37   #44

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

It is actually easier to pull an engine with the boat in the water.

I pulled my Atomic from a much smaller boat using halyards but instead of using the boom I rigged a handy billy to a bridle arrangement with my stern cleats to get the engine out into the cockpit, then another one to a convenient piling to get it swung off the boat and onto my finger pier. One man job. Doing it on the hard complicates things. If you must do it on the hard, let the yard do it. There are a lot of things that could go wrong. Sure, it has been done before. But I would let the yard do it and THEIR insurance pay for stuff that just happens.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 11:15   #45

Have you considered just having the yard move your boat so they can get to the engine? Otherwise, call an electrical or sign contractor with an extended boom truck. Have the engine ready to lift and it won't take but a few minutes...even through the companion way hatch...which is where I've lifted and installed them without touching the cockpit floor or deck. My son in law flips boats in south Florida and bought a cheap surplus boom truck just for this purpose and it works well. You may also try a tow truck company that uses booms for big rigs.

BBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat