Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2024, 13:58   #31

Re: White Smoke new reaconditioned Volvo penta 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailon46 View Post
I edited my earlier post but it did not take effect. The air breathing hose was kinking been a garden hose. I uncovered the issue by opening the diesel tank filling cap and the white smoke went away.
That’s interesting information sailon46, have you got a Yanmar 4JH5 engine in your boat or a 4LH? Thanks for your post.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 16:38   #32

Re: White Smoke new reaconditioned Volvo penta 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Air in a fuel system will shut the engine down before it gets a chance to smoke.
Shaneesprit is right about air in the fuel, and yes, it does cause exhaust smoke, I often work on engines where a few cylinders are getting air but the others are still plugging away and smoking. A six cylinder ford Lehman inclined on a 10° propshaft angle is a recent event, the air bleed to return is on the high point of the injector pump gallery and air in the first two elements, running on 4 but very unhappily….. and smoking.
More interesting is the clouds of white smoke the 4JH5E’s blow when the secondary filter or tank vent line is blocked and the instant clear exhaust when the restriction is removed.
It seems like the OP found the answer to his “white smoke” question.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo