Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2011, 20:31   #1

Boat: Niagara 31
White Smoke

I need some advice. I have a Niagra 31 with a GM20FC Yanmar engine and SD20 saildrive. There is only 350 hours on both. I recently replaced the 2 blade folding Volvo prop with a 3 blade Flex-o-fold. On the first trip I noticed that there is a continuous but small amount of white smoke at cruising rpm's. I spoke with the mechanic at our marina who told me that most boats smoke. This answer did not inspire much confidence so I am reaching out to the boating community for help. Should I be worried?? The book I have on diesel engines speaks about lack of compression, air in fuel lines and unburnt fuel. I cannot see it as an engine problem as it still runs as smoothly as before switching props. I am thinking it has to do with the pitch of the blade...which I have to confess that my understanding of is a bit weak. I had given the manufacturer all the specifications and they had assured me that they supplied other owners of Niagra 31's (same engine and saildrive) with the same prop. Should I be worried? Is their something wrong? Other than this I love this prop...help! Thanks ahead of time.
Gulfislander is offline   Reply With Quote