Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 15:37   #16

Boat: Hans Christian 48T
Re: White Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
If the raw water supply is insufficient , then the engine's heat exchanger will not cool the engines fresh water supply. Then the engine's temperature gauge will show a very high reading ??? Not so?
It can happen that the flow is just enough to coold the heat exchanger for a while, but the water turns to steam as it hits the exhaust elbow where the gas temperatures are much higher.
Old 04-06-2011, 15:43   #17

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfislander View Post
Hi Twistedtree,

The engine has been run regularly and there was no white smoke prior to the prop change. The boat goes faster with lower rpm's with the new prop. I use to do 5 knts with 2800 rpm and now I do 6+ with 2500 rpm. The impeller has around 25-30 hours. This engine does not have a temp guage just a temp alarm. I do not have the specs on the old prop.

To me it seem to be related to the prop pitch...maybe the engine does not have to work as hard?? I just worry I may be damaging the engine.
If I may speculate a bit here, I take it you hauled the boat out to change the prop, right? In that case, there may not have been enough water through the impeller when the engine first started after launching. This could have damaged the impeller. Costs nothing to inspect and you probably have a spare. Exactly this happened to me which is why I am suggesting it. I hope you fix it soon.
Old 04-06-2011, 16:11   #18

Boat: Helleman, 45' Steel Trawler

i had a similar problem...white smoke in the exhaust...and my mikuni diesel heater was acting up too...checked my tank and found some water...either drain the water off (diesel floats on water, so the water in your tank will be at the bottom, disconnect the fuel line from your tank and drain it until you get pure diesel) or get an additive that removes water...
Honey Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote