Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2019, 09:45   #1

Volvo D2-40B Alarm

Hi All, the alarm is sounding on my D2-40 when the battery switch is on, before pressing the power button, when the screen is still blank. The engine runs fine. I guess there's a loose connection somewhere, but I can't find one. Any ideas please?
MurrayAtkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 11:06   #2

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46
Re: Volvo D2-40B Alarm

Have you checked to see if your engine is subject to a recall? My D2-55F was having all kinds of strange issues until one day it didn't start. Researching online I found a recall notice and Volvo replaced the MDI unit under the recall. D2-40 was listed on the recall. I had various issues including alarm sounding when it should not be sounding. If your serial number is listed I suggest getting it fixed before leaving too far and also because of possible unsafe conditions such as the engine starting in forward gear, full throttle; ask me how I know. If it is the MDI unit, it's a 10 minute job. Volvo asked if I wanted to do it myself but my Volvo Dealer/Mechanic happened to be in the marina when it failed. Good luck!
Old 22-12-2019, 19:12   #3

Thank you SofiaB. I entered the serial number on the Volvo recall search page (https://www.volvopenta.com/marinelei...formation.html) and it just said there were no recalls for that serial number, but didn't confirm what item I was searching about, so I tried with a made up number and got the same result. Consequently I have low confidence in that system. Do you have a link to the page you looked under?
Old 23-12-2019, 02:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, Murray.

Quality Campaign. Q0138, D1,D2. MDI, replacement
D1-13F, D1-20F, D1-30F, D2-40F, D2-50F, D2-55F, D2-60F, D2-75F
https://www.hisse-et-oh.com/store/me...3668db563d.pdf

Before starting any work, check the engine serial number in Product Centerto determine if the engine is affected by this or any other campaign
https://www.volvopenta.com/marinelei...formation.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 05:29   #5

Does the alarm continue to sound after you turn the panel on? And if so, what alarm is indicated?
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 06:18   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Sounds like a closed connection rather than a loose wire. In some installations, oil pressure sensors sound as soon as you apply power, because you have no oil pressure while the engine is off. Oil pressure keeps the switch (sensor) open. But, this is specific to your installation, and didn't occur previously. So, turn on the power, adjust your hearing protection, put your multimeter on "DC volts," and trace backwards from the alarm to the source of power for the alarm. It's getting in there somehow, and it's not likely to be complicated.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
Does the alarm continue to sound after you turn the panel on? And if so, what alarm is indicated?
Yes, none.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Sounds like a closed connection rather than a loose wire. In some installations, oil pressure sensors sound as soon as you apply power, because you have no oil pressure while the engine is off. Oil pressure keeps the switch (sensor) open. But, this is specific to your installation, and didn't occur previously. So, turn on the power, adjust your hearing protection, put your multimeter on "DC volts," and trace backwards from the alarm to the source of power for the alarm. It's getting in there somehow, and it's not likely to be complicated.
I won an hours electrical diagnosis in the xmas draw! so the electrician did this and the source of the power to the alarm is the EVC or MDI or whatever name the black box is going under. There was no supply from any of the sensors. Opening the box didn't reveal anything, accessible terminals cleaned etc, but no change. Guess a component in there is misbehaving.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:20   #9

It appears this issue stems from the MDI/EVC control unit (see above) solutions are to replace the box like for like (£600ish) replace it with non-electronic part (possibly cheaper and more reliable but a lot of time to source all the components). Meanwhile, disconnecting the power to the noisy alarm reveals there is a second alarm sounder which emits the double tone on switching on, much more quietly. Will test whether this also sounds for an actual alarm. So temp solution is do nothing!

Tags
alarm, volvo