Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 23:54   #31

Boat: samson c-mist 32
D2-40 troubles

When researching engines to repower with, I decided on a kabota. When talking to my local merc/volvo dealer, he asked me to give him a chance and gave me a quote on a volvo. The quote was great (Canadian $ had been high for a while, and reflected in the price) I was able to get a left hand transmission, so I could keep the same wheel, it came with the high output alternator, and I had a dealer, I would have had to make a 3-4 day trip, or pay to have the red one shipped. These where the reasons I changed my mind and ordered the D2-40. At this point if I could go back, I would have got kabota. This new volvo is a perkins base, and it is a sweet little engin that I don't beleive is associated with volvo's past bad rep. but this black box was my one big worry. Yesterday when I went to start it, I got NOTHING! It powers up, then when I push the start button, it shuts down. The engine has 12 hours on it as I am still completing the interior on the boat. I am working for another week, then my dealer will come out and plug in his computer and see whats going on. It makes me pretty upset to think if this would happen in the middle of no-where! I definetly want to know how to by-pass this box, and although I understand the conflict of vovlo dealers giving out this info, those of us who will be out there cruising need to know how to start our engines if the little box decides to go to sleep! I'll post results next week.
emeraldsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 13:50   #32

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: D2-40 troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsea View Post
When researching engines to repower with, I decided on a kabota. When talking to my local merc/volvo dealer, he asked me to give him a chance and gave me a quote on a volvo. The quote was great (Canadian $ had been high for a while, and reflected in the price) I was able to get a left hand transmission, so I could keep the same wheel, it came with the high output alternator, and I had a dealer, I would have had to make a 3-4 day trip, or pay to have the red one shipped. These where the reasons I changed my mind and ordered the D2-40. At this point if I could go back, I would have got kabota. This new volvo is a perkins base, and it is a sweet little engin that I don't beleive is associated with volvo's past bad rep. but this black box was my one big worry. Yesterday when I went to start it, I got NOTHING! It powers up, then when I push the start button, it shuts down. The engine has 12 hours on it as I am still completing the interior on the boat. I am working for another week, then my dealer will come out and plug in his computer and see whats going on. It makes me pretty upset to think if this would happen in the middle of no-where! I definetly want to know how to by-pass this box, and although I understand the conflict of vovlo dealers giving out this info, those of us who will be out there cruising need to know how to start our engines if the little box decides to go to sleep! I'll post results next week.
AND?
Old 11-02-2012, 13:26   #33

Re: Volvo D2-40 Problem

They sent me the updated box, no prob. as there were a few issues with some of the older ones. My problem seemed solved, but then same thing happened again! Frustrated and confused, I started checking all connections etc. I noticed an end on my main power wire from the battery looked a bit suspect, so I removed it to put a new end on and I discovered that the wire was shot!
New wire, no problem. I'm glad I have the updated box, even though the original was not the problem. I would have thought the computer might say "low voltage" or something, but it will just shut down when the start button is pushed. My dealer also gave me a print out of the shop manual, showing all the sensors, and its pretty simple actually. I feel good about the engine now, and am happy with my choice.
Old 11-02-2012, 13:38   #34

Boat: Lagoon 440

Wow what an adventure over an annoying trivial fault!!!! I guess it re-inforces that Trouble shooting must start with all the basics tested nothing taken for granted nothing trusted.

My life experiences have taught me to always be suspicious of the last thing that was done, ie i recently put a new CAV filter unit on my son's boat, bled it and it run well.

Went out sailing and came back to the mooring pile under motor and as we are lining up to pick up the line the motor died!!!!!!

To cut a long story short if we bled it all worked well for a little while :-) BUT every now and then it stopped usually at the worst time!!!!

After 2 months i found the diesel return line had a small ball bearing with a relief spring, the problem was the ball would stick in the seat and the motor would flood on diesel as it couldnt unload the excess!!!!!!!!

All good now and logged in the memory banks.

THANKS for sharing the final outcome, i appreciate it. Cheers Frank
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24   #35

That wasn't the end of my fun.... Another time when I decided to crank up the engine, (I am still finishing the inside of the boat, so I run the engine every month or 2. It only has about 15 hrs so far)
So I push the start button , the engine starts to turn, then dead stop! I knew this sound from the previous mechanic who rebuilt & re-installed the YSE12 and didn't install the anti-siphon loop. My heart sank, and I dove below to pull the dip stick! Yup! sump is full!
At least this time it was fuel, not sea water!

After studying the situation, I realized that the diaphram in the lift pump failed, and that since my fuel tank was above the engine that I didn't need the lift pump & that maybe the bit of head pressure caused the failure. Re-plumbed fuel line directly into injector pump, drain sump fill with oil, back in business. But now I always shut off the fuel from the tank when its not going to be in use for a while.
Oh and obviously they don't lube the 0-ring on the oil filter from the factory because it was so tight I had to remove the dip-stick to get enough torque on it to finally break it loose.

Glad all these growing pains were at the dock, and I'm hoping I may finally get the rest of the boat done so I can start putting some hours on it later this year.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:07   #36

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

There you are !! just like my daddy and my High School Auto shop teacher taught me,"always check the Battery Conections First !!" it's an OLD Rule but it's a good one !! over half the time Ive had problems of this type, it has been lose or improper Battery Conections !! just an old timers 2 cents !! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 09:46   #37

Hi! I also owe a D2-40 with approximately 150 hours and I'm experiencing the following problem:

When cold, everything works fine.

After half an hour, the control panel ceases to function, I have to cut the engine manually.

It is impossible to turn it on again, the panel doesn't beep, unless I wait until it cools again.

Of course, it is very annoying and sometimes dangerous, as I often have do manouver the boat only with the sails.

I'm still struggling with the local Volvo dealer ti havenit fixed under warranty.
Eucherio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo