Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2007, 04:20   #1

Volvo D2-40 Problem

I am having a similiar issue with my 1 year old D2 40 but mine is the EVC black box has gone bad for the second time. First when one month old in Las Palmas and now on the trip back to St Thomas.

Pat.. In Las Palmas when I had to deal with the European customer Action Service they were wonderful. they called the dealer and helped me step by step deal with the problem.
When I called the US Volvo CAS they did not even know enough to find the service dealer in ST Thomas or any in Puerto Rico although there are several. They basically left me hanging on the phone with we can't help you..except give you a dealers phone number in Tortola. Luckily Tracy here at All Points Marine is working it for me but Volvo basically left me on my own.

And the internet is a great place to get customer service done...50 emails from boaters asking why are you not fixing this problem correctly gets things done MUCH faster than you trying to argue with someone trying to save a few bucks when the POS they sold you doesn't work.

Since my ECV has gone out twice I want to find other peoples who have as well. Volvo needs to SOLVE theses problem..not just fix it...and leave those of us who are the guinea pigs for new models having expensive repairs every year or so.

Captain Robbie D
Sailing All Over Sailboat Charters
Old 24-11-2007, 04:48   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
First let me say I'm not a fan of Volvo having had a brand new 2003 in 1988 that was nothing but trouble. The motor had to be rebuilt in the first year and never did run right, after a few years I replaced it with a 3GM30. Volvo claimed it was state of the art. I always felt it was experimental. I vowed then never to buy a boat with a Volvo engine again. When I got my new boat in 2004 I specified a Yanmar. My buddy bought a new boat at the same time and got a D2-55. This was four years ago. Within the first year he found that the heat exchanger had to be removed and and holes drilled to route the water properly. This was a new engine then and in his first year he had three warranty issues. Volvo did deal with these but when you're cruising this is very disruptive.
Old 24-11-2007, 07:00   #3

Can yo be more specific about the black box, and the internet support? I have no electric controls on my D2-55, but I have heard about the new series with electronic controls. This apparently takes some getting used to...

I am always interested in ways to get expedited service. You are quite right that the normal channel is sometimes frustrating. How did you marshal 50 boaters to petition them.
Andrew Lippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 07:02   #4

I am not soured on Volvo as you are, but your experience is instructive. In the end, mine was fixed and I anticipate no new problems. The only troubling aspect of this was that it took quite a few tried to fix the bellhousing problems.
Old 24-11-2007, 08:14   #5

Andrew,
I am not soured on Volvo per say but black box computer controls have no place on a boat which goes out on 3+ up to 26 day passages in the open ocean or crusing boats in general unless they are bullet proof and this is obviously not. There is nothing like having bought a new boat to avoid this kind of problem and then have them in really out of the way places where you don't speak the language well or it will cost a couple hundred dollars or more to get a person who can check it out to check it. So it will probably be a very expensive spare. I would like to retrofit with a shut off cable and good old fashoned gauges and alarms at this point.
After all the beauty of diesel for marine use is thier simplicity.
i will say the motor is smooth, quiet, has great power and torque bands and Bavaria made access GREAT.. now if only I didn't need that access quite so much...

A far as boater support..I simply wrote a post on several forums about the problem and gave everyone the email address of the marketing person for the company.

Volvos EVC page
electronic vessel control : Volvo Penta - Global

This is the press release from
2003 : Volvo Penta - North America#
2003-08-01

Volvo Penta launches EVC: Electronic platform makes boating simpler

EVC – Electronic Vessel Control – is Volvo Penta’s new electronic platform.
EVC is an integral system that enables a boat’s engine, control systems and instruments, as well as other functions on board, to communicate and exchange information. The system is highly flexible and expandable, and can be upgraded with new software. EVC is based on the latest CAN-bus technology, which is widely used in the automotive industry today.

Modern leisure craft feature extensive electronic systems on board. Engines are electronically controlled to a greater or lesser degree, control systems on the larger boats are electronic, instrumentation is becoming more advanced, and an increasing number of boats are equipped with electronic navigation equipment. Electrical installations become complicated if conventional technology is used, since each instrument requires its own cable. On a larger leisure craft, this means drawing hundreds of feet of cable, which is tiresome for the boatbuilder and potentially unreliable for the boat owner. It also complicates the process of upgrading or installing new equipment.
It follows that a far better solution is to gather all the functions into a single system.
One system for all engines
This was Volvo Penta’s incentive to begin development of EVC as a control system for its electronically controlled engines.
“Our primary need as an engine supplier was to find a common system for all our engines, most of which are electronically controlled. Each engine control system is adapted to a specific engine, so they are not identical. We needed a common system that could manage all of our electronically controlled engines, including current and future models,” explains Martin Vansvik, project manager at Volvo Penta.

The project began in 1998 with a prestudy, which showed that considerable advantages could be achieved by integrating all of a boat’s electronic functions – not only those controlling the engine – in a single system. Among other steps, Volvo Penta developed a concept boat to enable the new technology to be tested.
“The automotive industry experienced a similar need, and we closely examined the systems developed in that sector. One of our aims was to make driving a boat as simple as possible – something like driving a modern car. The integrated systems that were being developed at that time looked highly promising, and we decided to develop a similar system adapted to boats,” relates Martin.
CAN-bus system
Today, computerized networks designed to control all of a vehicle’s functions, known as
“CAN-bus” systems, are standard within the automotive industry. The networks comprise several processors that receive data from the connected units, process it and forward it to the right address. If you depress the accelerator in your car, this action is registered by a processor, which sends a command to the engine control system to increase the supply of fuel to the engine.
With EVC, Volvo Penta has developed a CAN-bus system adapted specifically to the requirements of a modern boat.
“All of the components in the EVC system have been developed to meet our own exacting requirements. We develop and test the system to ensure that it can withstand moisture, vibrations, cold, electrical fields and many other adverse factors over a long period. All connections are waterproof, the cables are sturdy and the processors are robust and reliable. The EVC system fulfills the most stringent classification requirements for commercial use, and the system has also undergone extensive testing in a number of boats in commercial use,” says Martin.
Better information and greater reliability
EVC is now being launched in combination with Volvo Penta’s electronically controlled diesel and gasoline engines. Two versions of the system are available – one with electronic engine control, suitable for luxury-class boats, and one with traditional mechanical controls for smaller boats. Volvo Penta is also launching a series of new instruments and displays developed for EVC.
“EVC has a number of advantages. First and foremost, installation is simpler and more reliable, giving the boat-owner higher quality and better operating reliability,” says Martin. “It’s also very simple to install additional instruments, since no new cables need be inserted. The information supplied to the instruments and displays is always exceedingly reliable. All messages and warnings are in the form of text messages, which clearly inform the driver what is going on. The trim function, for boats with Aquamatic, has been improved and now enables the tilt angle to be limited, as well as automatically synchronizing engine speed in twin-engined boats.”
EVC also provides several functions that further increase safety on board and protect the engine and the transmission in the event of incorrect use or an inappropriate command. On boats with flying bridges, control of the consoles is simpler with EVC and there is less risk of someone activating a console by mistake.

Improved service
The EVC system is supported by a new service tool, VODIA, which replaces all previous diagnostic tools. VODIA is a small handheld computer which the mechanic can connect to the EVC system to perform various diagnoses and extract engine data, including various statistics. The data is presented both textually and graphically. The result is more rapid and efficient servicing. The process is also simplified for the service workshops, since service personnel need only use a single diagnostic tool for all types of old or new electronically controlled engines.
Exciting future
“The fact that the EVC functions are software-based, like the functions in an ordinary PC, means the system can be upgraded. What we are launching now is a platform to grow with. At present we are using only a fraction of the system’s capacity, and it would be entirely feasible in due course to integrate navigation equipment, autopilot and much more. With EVC, we have laid a foundation on which we will be able to build for a long time to come,” concludes Martin Vansvik.
For additional information contact:Ben Landis, Manager, Marketing Communications, Volvo Penta of the Americas, Inc.757-436-5120
Old 24-11-2007, 10:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Can we please keep this to the problem of the fault and not a rant about customer/dealer relationship.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 14:21   #7

Andrew,

A thought..you say you have no electronic controls on you D2 55.. what about your fuel shutoff? Is is mechanical or an electric Solenoid type? I believe that the black box is keeping my motor from starting by shutting the fuel off since it cranks anid has compression. If I could find a mechanical replacment for my electric solenoid or different injector pump that fits that does not have it all..
Pat any experience with bypassing the EVC?
Old 24-11-2007, 14:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_d View Post
Andrew,

A thought..you say you have no electronic controls on you D2 55.. what about your fuel shutoff? Is is mechanical or an electric Solenoid type? I believe that the black box is keeping my motor from starting by shutting the fuel off since it cranks anid has compression. If I could find a mechanical replacment for my electric solenoid or different injector pump that fits that does not have it all..
Pat any experience with bypassing the EVC?
I'm not at liberty to comment, as instructions to bypass the Volvo EVC system will result in termination of your warranty and my dealership.

From rereading your comments above. You are obviously not comfortable with the electronic control system. Eventhou this system has been in use for many years and proven solid.
Might I suggest you repower to a true mechanical engine like the Yanmar 4JH4E
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 15:07   #9

Robbie,
You've also failed to disclose what the failure was other than the "black box" Please enlighten us on the insignificant details as they my contain clues to a root cause.
Old 24-11-2007, 16:02   #10

I am not being an apologist for Volvo. I think there is lots they should have done better, and the wrangling almost cost me most of the northeast boating season. There was a ballistic failure of the damper plate on the way back from the Halifax race, and between various analyses and parts delays, the boat was out of service for three weeks until Labor Day weekend. At the beginning of the season, we lost all drive power, and it almost happened again in mid-season. All I said was that in the end, they did fix everything and I suspect it will work fine now.

I'm curious about the CANbus stuff. That ought to work pretty well. I didn't know it was done on smaller engines, and your release indicates that it applies to readouts rather than controls. In your case, there ought to have been a fallback to run the engine when that stuff fails, since it doesn't sound like it does critical things like fuel metering. I wonder if I can post-install it, although your experience makes me think about leaving well enough alone.
Old 24-11-2007, 16:02   #11

Pat..
It cranks..it has compression but it does not start.
It has good clean fuel with no air up to the bleed screw on the injector pump. But no fuel when th einjectors are cracked. All hoses lines etc including if the is a vacum in the tank have been checked and all filters replaced. The fuel pump is putting out when cranking and no alarms are showing on the display.

The "black box" is the EVC computer module and is actually a black box bolted to the side of the engine. It is connected to all the sensors as well as fuel shutoff so can keep the engine from starting or shut it down if somethin is wrong. But we can't find anything wrong. ( if this was easy we would have it fixed .. )The local volvo service person has not worked on a D2 40 with EVC before but is working hard to research the problem. I am looking on here to check as well and also see if I can find a work around if this happens to me at sea again when 400 miles offshore. Last time was when we pulled into Las Palmas Canary islands but then is simply did not crank.. I hot wired the starter that time but the fix was replace the black box and display done by the dealer in Las Palmas

A work around would be ideal if there is someway to bypass or hot wire the fuel shutoff solenoid as that is what the EVC black box must be using to keep it from starting.

Repower? I have a saildrive and does anybody else make them?..and the boat is only a year old last week....the black box EVC control was replaced last Dec 13
I am hoping to find a solution with the volvo

Thanks
Old 24-11-2007, 16:17   #12

I shall not further comment as Volvo has the situation well under control and Robbie D want's me to endorse a solution that is out of Volvos recomendation.
I shall not take on the liability of armchair diagnosing your vessel and virtually repairing it 1500 miles away.
Old 24-11-2007, 16:52   #13

Yanmar makes a saildrive. I am not sure whether it is better than the Volvo nor am I sure of how much work need be done to change over. i checked the dimensions while in the depths of despair about mine, and it looked like the engine would fit, but the bed for a saildrive looks to be far closer to an integral part of the boat and a bear to mess with!

In my case, there is a complication due to a negative return electrical system. When I did my installation, I replicated what Swan had specified for boats that came with this engine. Yanmar no longer makes an engine with negative return and I was loath to try to re-engineer their engines, since they are unfamiliar to me.

I suspect you will fine a more cooperative mechanic in person who can advise on what is safe and effective to over-ride for emergencies. I can't imagine it is too hard, and warrantees are a secondary concern on the open ocean.

andy
Old 24-11-2007, 17:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lippman View Post
In my case, there is a complication due to a negative return electrical system.

I suspect you will fine a more cooperative mechanic in person who can advise on what is safe and effective to over-ride for emergencies. I can't imagine it is too hard, and warrantees are a secondary concern on the open ocean.

andy
Point #1, all DC systems are negative return systems. The world last saw a 12 positive ground system was from British Leyland in the 70's

Point #2,
No authorized dealer will advise against manufacturer's designs, or changes without assuming the liability them selves. I will not assume that liability.

Now, if Robbie D is not satisfied with the performance of the Volvo package he needs to handle this thru Volvo and a local service facility.
This has more to do with loss of warranty. If I advise on this I could loose my lively hood. Frankly, no one is worth not feeding my kids.

If your uncomfortable with the boat, leave it in port
Old 24-11-2007, 17:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lippman View Post
I suspect you will fine a more cooperative mechanic in person
You sir haven't been part of this board long enough to make a statement like that..

You need to apologize

When people come to a public forum to rant like your first post they are more often than not searching for other so they can begin a class action suit. There is a thing call manufacturing tolerances. That's why manufacturers have warrantys. Now if Volvo has resolved your problem where is the problem?

Tags
volvo