Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2022, 08:41   #31

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Utilizing old onboard fuel tank as storage for outboard fuel. (Opinion/suggestion

I understood one of the biggest issues will be fitting a diesel where an atomic rested. Does your tank have a return line?
New motor new filters new tank and lines sounds like a proper budget.
The Atomic kinda kept the float bowl full a modern diesel runs pressurized fuel past hungry injectors and return to the tank likely through 2 or 3 filters.
I’d be more tempted to put a BMW 1.8,1.9, or 2.0. and forget diesel. Would take some special engine mounts but so will the diesel I think.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:38   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Utilizing old onboard fuel tank as storage for outboard fuel. (Opinion/suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
I understood one of the biggest issues will be fitting a diesel where an atomic rested. Does your tank have a return line?
New motor new filters new tank and lines sounds like a proper budget.
The Atomic kinda kept the float bowl full a modern diesel runs pressurized fuel past hungry injectors and return to the tank likely through 2 or 3 filters.
I’d be more tempted to put a BMW 1.8,1.9, or 2.0. and forget diesel. Would take some special engine mounts but so will the diesel I think.
He's not putting in a diesel.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:40   #33
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVSOLITAIRE View Post
the current system of Jerry cans and refueling underway (spilled fuel on decks) is much less practical and safe than having a tank which was designed and built for the sole purpose of conveying fuel to an engine.
You'll be fine. If you want to double check, PM me an email address and I'll respond with the appropriate ABYC Standards in pdf files.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:29   #34

Boat: Northern 29

Hi Rumrace, as indicated I'm not considering replacing gas for diesel, rather decomissioning my A4 (leave in place) and installing an outboard to push the boat.
Boatpoker, if you can provide me those pdfs that'd be great, thanks
u.da.1 at hotmail
campbdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:50   #35
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbdon View Post
Hi Rumrace, as indicated I'm not considering replacing gas for diesel, rather decomissioning my A4 (leave in place) and installing an outboard to push the boat.
Boatpoker, if you can provide me those pdfs that'd be great, thanks
u.da.1 at hotmail
Just sent them. Let me know if you receive.
I think I got your email correct.
Old 01-11-2022, 13:55   #36

Yes thanks, and I'm just down the lake from you at Bluffers !!
In case I need a survey I'll keep you in mind.
DonC
Old 01-11-2022, 14:29   #37
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Yes thanks, and I'm just down the lake from you at Bluffers !!
In case I need a survey I'll keep you in mind.
DonC
Actually we are in Virginia, Bahamas bound
Old 01-11-2022, 14:41   #38

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

My bad. I misread somewhere. Sounds like a great idea. I guess generating electricity will be a compromise. Is the outboard going to be offset to a tiller?
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 15:02   #39

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
a) Disconnect the fuel hose to the A4 at the tank (shutoff) and run new hosing to the OB ? What size hose (ID)?

Probably a good idea to do that. Any standard hose size will work for an outboard of 25 horsepower or less. Use whatever is in stock and matches your fittings. 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, doesn't matter. Use good A1-rated marine fuel hose, it will stink less and the gasoline in it will deteriorate more slowly.

Quote:

b) Inline with this hosing I would install my existing Sierra water seperator and possibly another passive filter ?
Probably a good idea if they're in good shape. Your outboard has a fuel filter in it, but it's small and will clog easily if there's a bunch of crap in the tank.

Quote:

c) Do I need to install a fuel pump since the tank is maybe 1 foot below the OB intake?
No. Your outboard has a fuel pump. If you want you can install a primer bulb. I don't like them (cost, tend to fail before the hose does, extra bulk) and tend not to use them. They are mainly useful if you have the fuel system open or have deliberately drained it.
Old 01-11-2022, 15:29   #40

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
I too have an existing metal gas tank that's been used for my A4. Due to engine issues and reliability problems with the A4 I may switch over to an outboard for primary propulsion. My assumptions are, if deciding to use that tank for the OB instead of jerry cans, do I need to do the following:

a) Disconnect the fuel hose to the A4 at the tank (shutoff) and run new hosing to the OB ? What size hose (ID)?

b) Inline with this hosing I would install my existing Sierra water seperator and possibly another passive filter ?

c) Do I need to install a fuel pump since the tank is maybe 1 foot below the OB intake? My A4 has a working Facet 12v pump

Thanks in advance
DonC
You probably won't need an electric fuel pump to lift the fuel 1 foot (more when the tank is empty) but you will need a squeeze bulb. The OB's fuel pump may carry the load.

My OB tank sits at least 1' lower than the connection to the motor and it pulls fuel fine, as long as there are no vacuum leaks in the hose or connections and the squeeze bulb is working OK to get fuel into the carb.
Old 01-11-2022, 15:50   #41

Thanks everyone for your tips!
Old 01-11-2022, 15:59   #42
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
No. Your outboard has a fuel pump. If you want you can install a primer bulb. I don't like them (cost, tend to fail before the hose does, extra bulk) and tend not to use them. They are mainly useful if you have the fuel system open or have deliberately drained it.
I like them because I run my carb dry after every use ( except when in the islands and it's used a couple of times a day).
Old 01-11-2022, 16:51   #43

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I like them because I run my carb dry after every use ( except when in the islands and it's used a couple of times a day).

Ya and they make sense if you do that. :/

My current thinking is that draining the carburetor or running it dry is not a net positive unless the engine is being stored for lengthy periods (more than over winter). I do drain snow removal equipment for summer storage because higher temperatures change things. Reasonable people may disagree.

Tags
fuel, fuel tank, outboard, storage