Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2020, 10:04   #16

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38
Re: Utilizing old onboard fuel tank as storage for outboard fuel. (Opinion/suggestion

I believe Monel tanks were used in these boats.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 10:10   #17

Boat: Pearson 10M
Re: Utilizing old onboard fuel tank as storage for outboard fuel. (Opinion/suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Gas is an explosie fuel and produces vapour that is heavier than air which can collect in the bilges. If stored below deck it needs a gas tight compartment and all electronics must be spark proof. Think the same spec's as on a tanker. On a yacht this is almost impossible and cirtainly impractical. Also how will you get the fuel up on deck to fill the outboard? Almost all available pumps say 'do not use for gas' unless they are gas fuel pumps fitted in the tank that are so slow they would only be practical if you ran the tank as a remote with a permenant line to the outboard. Stick to cans on deck, much safer.
Wow, just wow.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 10:34   #18

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Gas and gas oil mixtures has a very limited shelflife particularly on a boat. I would expect trouble, i.e. clogged carb if you try to store for 2 months or longer.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 10:53   #19

Boat: Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
Wow, just wow.

Is that a good wow?
SVSOLITAIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 10:57   #20

I am cruising so I run through fuel very quickly averaging 10 or more gallons per week. So though proper storage and filters will still be used I just want to clarify that some of the other concerns are not applicable to my particular situation.

As far as gas build up in response to robin the fuel tank on the alberg is situated in the cockpit lazerette which is a seal compartment to begin with but beyond that a vent hose is run out past the combing to stern.

I am planning on installing a bilge blower in any case because propane, fuel, noxious chemicals should be expelled anyway.
Old 29-11-2020, 13:13   #21

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I really don’t think this is a great idea. I grew up with small gas engines in wood boats so I’ve seen it work out well and I’ve seen failures. Let’s say...dramatic failures. Filters are nice but you might have a screen in the pickup tube. Get out when it’s rough and it can get plugged. The tank might be fine but where fittings are attached, I’ve seen them fail. Seams fail from the inside. I’m old and I can tell you...old means you start springing leaks no matter how great you look on the outside. Same with tanks. I’ve seen some monel tanks last a very long time.
You have a classic risk reward decision. The downside with gasoline is bad.
Even if you change the delivery line, the fill and the vent and you get it pressure tested (which they do to all new tanks) and you put in a blower and a sniffer...you still have two problems. Condensation and fuel quality.
It would be OK if it was rum. I have a fuel injected 25 hp Yamaha on my dinghy and I can tell if the marine gas is two weeks old even stored in a 2&1/2 gal jug.
Filtering is not a magic solution. Neither are additives nor stabilizers. I just hope you don’t do a lot of work for what might be an unsatisfactory result.
Happy trails to you.
Mark and the “no more leftovers “ protesting manatees
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 13:37   #22

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Why? Do you smoke below decks in your boat?

It’s insanity on sooooo many levels to smoke in a boat.
Smoke..... gas / alcohol stove. A flame down below would scare the hell out of me. But what do I know...
Only have had diesels in every boat I’ve owned.

However assuming the set-up is safe, I would cut out the original metal tank and add a plastic tank in its place.

Good luck and be safe!
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 13:59   #23

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Why? Do you smoke below decks in your boat?

It’s insanity on sooooo many levels to smoke in a boat.
Chotu, u making me giggle. Yes, I hate smoking. But is there anything more insane than owning a boat?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 14:08   #24

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Since the old tank is in the lazerette... if tank in good shape... racor and fuel filters and stabilizer when sitting long periods. Absolutely need racors if going to outboard.

I sold my tohatsu 9.9 o/b to a fella sailor in San Carlos Mx. as he went south on his tri he clogged up over 10 times. Bad fuel. No racor set up on his boat. Lesson learned. Dirty fuel and no racor... stress out of your mind. Who needs that?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 14:30   #25

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Personally i would not countenance using petrol (gasoline) as main propulsion on a boat. I worry about my 2 gallons of dinghy outboard fuel. Having said that you might look at converting your petrol tank to Explosafe to reduce catastrophic risk.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 14:42   #26

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Check this out
EXPLOSAFE :: FAQ
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 16:04   #27

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
Personally i would not countenance using petrol (gasoline) as main propulsion on a boat. I worry about my 2 gallons of dinghy outboard fuel. Having said that you might look at converting your petrol tank to Explosafe to reduce catastrophic risk.
You do realise that the boat originally was fitted with an inboard petrol engine and ran with it for years don't you?
I would suggest that using the original tank for its original purpose will continue to be just fine, provided the fuel line to the outboard is properly installed with appropriate filters.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 17:01   #28

Boat: Tartan 3800

You'll be fine. If the tank is monel it will last forever.

There are brand new cabin cruisers with gasoline propulsion being sold to this day.

There are over 800,000 boats registered in Minnesota. Aside from the canoes, kayaks, and SUPs, nearly all of these use gasoline. There is one fire or explosion caused by gasoline every year or two, usually on boats in derelict condition or leaving shore with known fuel leaks.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 17:58   #29

Looks like there is definitely a line in the sand. As I see it, the line has more to do with safety concerns than functionality of the system.

The input and warnings have been heard. I’ll do a final assessment of the components and work involved but as this was originally a gas engine boat I see no reason why routing the fuel to another location increases the risk any more than at its original manufacturing and design. Obviously safety standards have changed over the years but again I believe the individual, and vessel are as safe as the operator is responsible. I plan to be responsible in the installation. To be perfectly honest the current system of Jerry cans and refueling underway (spilled fuel on decks) is much less practical and safe than having a tank which was designed and built for the sole purpose of conveying fuel to an engine.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:52   #30

Boat: Northern 29

I too have an existing metal gas tank that's been used for my A4. Due to engine issues and reliability problems with the A4 I may switch over to an outboard for primary propulsion. My assumptions are, if deciding to use that tank for the OB instead of jerry cans, do I need to do the following:

a) Disconnect the fuel hose to the A4 at the tank (shutoff) and run new hosing to the OB ? What size hose (ID)?

b) Inline with this hosing I would install my existing Sierra water seperator and possibly another passive filter ?

c) Do I need to install a fuel pump since the tank is maybe 1 foot below the OB intake? My A4 has a working Facet 12v pump

Thanks in advance
DonC
campbdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank, outboard, storage