Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 09:10   #16

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Up the creek without an engine

SC,
I had a similar problem and it was the lift pump. The diaphragm was bad. It is easy to check on most engines. Good luck. Rognvald
Old 10-10-2016, 09:17   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Keep an eye on that squeeze bulb, it will let you down, not a matter of if, but when.

Clogged fuel vents, trash in the pick up tube or any fuel line blockage before the squeeze bulb, will cause it to collapse, no collapsed bulb, no blockage before the bulb
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:19   #18

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

What kind of Engine do you have ?If it is a Perkins 4-108, do not overlook the High Pressure Injector Pump.It took me a year to find that leak. It only occurred when the engine had been running for a while (10 minutes). It was a very slow drip. It showed up at the rod where the throttle cable attaches.Rebuilding my high pressure pump made her run like new... for over 2 years now...Good Luck and Happy Sailing...
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:37   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

YEP the fuel line runs up on the underside of the cockpit so that's part of the problem.

Partly good news. The raw water impeller was just a bit air bound. removed the hose at the transmission cooler and cranked and had water flowing there.

Now to go find that pesky leak.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I probably messed it up running the starter with the seawater valve closed. Better to fry a raw water impeller then hydro lock the engine. Could be a air lock in the water lines too but will look at that in the AM.
Yes. I hear on this forum about "close the seacock when trying to start" to avoid water in the muffler. My experience is it doesn't take long at all to trash the impellor with no water flow. I had a Volvo 18 hp in a boat once, that had some running issues. I would have the seacock closed until the engine fired up, opening it immediately. The impellers trashed a couple times doing that.

Is it possible you have a clogged fuel tank vent line? Often at the vent fitting on the hull.

and yes regarding squeeze bulbs, they do deteriorate with diesel... or I should say some do, not sure if all do. I removed one once when I added an electric pump (the squeeze felt spongy). When I put it in a coffee can to avoid mess, the fuel that came out of it was black with decomposed rubber.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:59   #21

Boat: Liberty 458

Those intermittent vacuum side leaks are a pain.

I use a mityvac to check if each section will hold vacuum. As hose gets old it can delaminate internally. This can lead to very small and sometimes intermittent leaks. Very hard to find they are. Often you need to move the hose around to find the leak.

The other common cause of these leaks is at the hose clamp. Those cheap sharp edged junk clamps also get the float test. A nice awab ss clamp has rolled edges and wont bite into the hose. They can also cause issues because they are stiff.

Wrapping the hose with pvc electrical tape before fitting the cheaper more flexible clamps both protects the hose and gives you a visual indicator when the hose is deteriorating.

Also make sure all hose ends are on barbs not straight pipe. Not only is that a safety issue but they will leak much more often.

I treat diesel fuel leaks like I treat batteries. I give all the flexible bits and pieces the float test. Ie if they float they can stay in the boat.

I would take the opportunity to replace all the flexible fuel lines and clamps once I identify the leak. If one hose is causing issues then the others are likely to join in the fun.

I can't help with the nails so you're on your own there.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:06   #22

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Just put a 15HP long shaft outboard on the back and stop worrying about engines.
Bill

My fall back is to use the fuel bulb to fill a 5 gallon jug and use that to get the boat back to the dock. That's if I can't find the leak. Joy. Least I know it's not the lift pump.

Joy, more boat yoga tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:45   #23

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post

I can't help with the nails so you're on your own there.
I'm not sure why, but I picture pink latex nail paint......er, I mean polish.

Sent from a boat somewhere
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:48   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For fuel clamps on the suck side of a pump, I have good luck with zip ties.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:03   #25

Boat: Scout 30

I strongly recommend replacing your squeeze bulb with a small electric fuel pump & a switch from your local auto parts store. Very cheap, reliable & easy to install. I bought one from NAPA 15 years ago & it still works. Make it the first thing after the tank & it'll pressurize your line to show you where any leaks are, makes changing filters & priming a breeze & will even run your motor if your primary pump fails.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:17   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I'm not sure why, but I picture pink latex nail paint......er, I mean polish.

Sent from a boat somewhere
With Sparkles too
Old 10-10-2016, 12:37   #27

Boat: ODAY 28

are you sure it is a air leak....found several boats that had blockage in the fuel line from the tank to the racor filer, just my 2 cents.... also I remove the out line from the raw pump to prevent backing water to engine, this way you dont eat the impeller
guess thats 4 cents now
good luck
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:49   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well I know what its' not. I'm starting to suspect the lift pump is dead. The fuel tank was full yesterday. And it ran fine for 2 hours down the river. But now the fuel is below the level of the injection pump. I'm pressurized the suction side and air pushed back out the fuel bulb. (with the vent sealed The vent is clear. Even removed the fuel bulb. the Fuel lines,copper run at the 1/2 full tank level, so they should be primed.

Me thinks the lift pump has given up the ghost. with 1600 ish hours on it.

So I get to transfer 4-5 gallons from the fuel tank to a jerry jug to use as a day tank with the fuel bulb. That's going to be SOOO much fun. Luckily I have enough fuel hose aboard to make that work. I think
Old 10-10-2016, 12:59   #29

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I would put a 12V pump in the fuel line, do that anyway. Then take a hose from the outlet of the pump and put it back in the diesel inlet. Let the pump run. If no diesel comes through, you can fault find without trying to manually pump or start the engine.
As you are having this problem, I would have a standby rig-up hose, put it on the inlet of the 12V pump and drop it into the diesel inlet or connect to the fuel tank outlet. That will work, get you home, don't try the inlet way in rough seas or you will let water in the tank.
If you take a fresh piece of hose and connect the 12V pump inlet to the tank outlet, you will eliminate any pipe in between.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 13:04   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Got to get back to the dock first before I can buy anything. I'm going to spend the afternoon filling a jerry jug with a squeeze bulb... Joy.

Of course I can't even get to the supply hose connection on the fuel tank. Looks like my cruising is done for a while.

Least Dekat will be happy.

Tags
engine