Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2023, 11:57   #1

Transmission slipping

Have you ever heard of a maxprop not working correctly causing a transmission to not engage it forward, or reverse? I have a ZF 25MA transmission and it not engaging properly when putting my transmission in forward and reverse.
TrailerCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 12:13   #2

Boat: Oyster 435
Re: Transmission slipping

Prop could be fouled with a line or fishing net that could limit the transmission from going into gear. Should be easy to see with a mask and snorkel.
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 12:27   #3

The FIRST thing to do is check the throw of the shift cable. With this transmission, that is almost always the problem.

Disconnect the cable from the transmission, and work the shift lever manually. If it works properly, get a copy of the install manual, and adjust the cable throw to match the specifications, or repair the shift lever in the cockpit, or replace the cable, or all of the above.

If the transmission slips internally even when shifted manually, you will likely be in the market for a new one. Rebuilding these is a nightmare, and costs way more than a new one.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:01   #4

Boat: Oyster 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerCruiser View Post
Have you ever heard of a maxprop not working correctly causing a transmission to not engage it forward, or reverse? I have a ZF 25MA transmission and it not engaging properly when putting my transmission in forward and reverse.
I'm internested to hear how this worked out and if you resolved the problem.
Thanks,
Ray
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 10:31   #5

Maxprop is working fine. Have concluded it is a bad transmissions. Ordering one will take 2-4 months to get.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:58   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

There are transmission repair shops that will fix your ZF transmission in a week.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:39   #7

Any transmission company suggestions in the Pacific Northwest?
Old 04-12-2023, 11:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
There are transmission repair shops that will fix your ZF transmission in a week.
Good luck with that…. A ZF25M is a beast just to disassemble. They are not terribly expensive, and I never found a shop who was willing to work on one. In every case the labor cost and parts cost exceeded the price of a new unit.

Try contacting Transmission Marine in Fort Lauderdale. Transmission Marine Inc- Industrial part| Installation Service & Repair.

If anybody has them in stock they will, and their prices were lower than anyplace I could find on line. But sometimes, there just are none of these in the US supply chain and everybody is waiting on the same container to arrive from Italy.

P.S., Be sure to replace your damper plate while you have the transmission off.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission