Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-03-2017, 13:56   #1

Boat: Gulf 32
Transmission cooler install... adapting raw water hose size & odd sized hose barb...

Working on installing a raw water transmission cooler (really just a heat sink, but that's what's available for my Hurth HBW100-2R). This is the cooler: 3306107001 ZF Transmission/Gear Cooler

Two questions have come up for me:

1) The raw water in/out barbs on the cooler measure at 1 3/16" OD (which is an odd size but that's what my calipers said, possibly because of a slight imperfection in the casting of the barbs). Question here is should I use 1 1/4" ID hose and hope it clamps down tightly enough, or should I use 1 1/8" ID hose and hope I can get it onto the barb (maybe with help of a heat gun)? Was planning on using "soft" raw water hose (fabric reinforced but not wire reinforced) for this new run.

2) According to my engine manual I should be taking raw water off the circuit after the raw water pump and running it through the transmission cooler. This will involve two T's into 5/8" ID raw water hose (after raw water pump before heat exchanger)... those two T's are going to need to connect to hose that that will run to the 1 3/16" OD barbs on the cooler... so I am going to need to adapt up to larger hose in the run (i.e. T'ing 1 1/4" ID hose out of a 5/8" ID circuit). What is best practice for this? I see there are bushings for adapting DOWN in size but haven't seen an equivalent for moving up in size. Female to female adapter->bushing->male to male adapter? Hoping not to have 8 million connections in this system, being below the waterline and all...

As always, thanks in advance.

-- Bass

Tags
raw water, size, transmission, water