Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:20   #1
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Source Needed for Odd-Sized Marine-Grade Stainless Steel Sink - Please Help !

Hello all. We removed the galley sink from our 1985 Wauquiez Centurion back in the spring in order to retile the counter and because it had a hole in it. We have been unable to find a replacement sink despite months of searching on line.
The only sink we found that closely fit this opening was from Plastimo but it was only 4 inches deep. We have tried Scandvik, Barka, Plastimo and days of googled search returns, as well as many hours searching sailing forums. Also have tried all the online US marine chandleries I can find. Am I missing an obvious source? Any and all suggestions welcome, including alternative materials and or sources for custom made sinks (getting a bit desperate). We are in the Annapolis area. Can't put the old one back as we don't have it anymore.

Also, I keep seeing 304 stainless sinks advertised by Scandvik and others as marine grade. I've heard 304 not recommended for salt water contact and we have a saltwater foot pump. Any sage advice on the topic appreciated as well.
Thanks for your help!
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:09   #2

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Why not try Home Depot or Lowes? You do not have to confine yourself to "marine" sinks.........just a thought.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:36   #3

what size is it and how deep do you need it? My brother is the business and if you give the sizes I will ask him what he can find out.
Mongo7382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:39   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
304 is fine for a sink but will develop surface corrosion if left unattended. The corrosion is no big deal especially if the sink is used regularly as normal cleaning will wash away the stains. In any case, a little 'Barkeeper's Friend' or scotch brite will shine it right back. Given my druthers, I'd opt for 316 but it's not a deal killer.

304 is suitable for marine use. Most US built boats use 304 for chainplates, rigging wire, etc. 304 is stronger than 316. Not a big deal for chainplates etc. as they are usually way over strength required. It can be an issue with racers who may be able to go with the next smaller size 304 wire.

It's probably too late but why don't you size the sink puka for the sink that you can find.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 15:10   #5
KDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo7382 View Post
what size is it and how deep do you need it? My brother is the business and if you give the sizes I will ask him what he can find out.
Thanks Mongo. The sink cutout is 22" x 14 5/8ths and we need a depth of 7 to 8 inches. Can accommodate an inch or so either way around but need to be to get all the faucets for the fresh and salt water back on so can't go much more than 15.5 front to back.
Old 03-10-2010, 15:15   #6
KDH

@ Mongo: Forgot to mention that we can't use an undermount due to the counter substrate being plywood so will need a dropin sink. Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2010, 15:38   #7

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
RV parts suppliers might be able to do you some good as well, and probably at 1/2 the price of boat suppliers.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 16:08   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Why not fabricate one? Welded Stainless Sinks are very common in the food service industry. Likely there is a "restaurant" fabricator nearby. If you can't find one, I can build it for you if you can provide an accurate drawing.
Old 03-10-2010, 18:10   #9

Bacon's, Sailorman, boneyards... I saw one at Sailorman a few weeks ago.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:07   #10

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Why not fabricate one?

KDH,

I second this suggestion. Fabricated sinks scared us off as I assumed they would be really expensive, but I worked the nerve to get a quote and it was about 1/2 the price of a Scandvik sink (because they are absolutely ridiculously priced anyway!) We wound up going a different route altogether (used a fiberglass sink and modified our galley's counter to accommodate), but a custom fabricated 16ga sink would've cost about $380. Perhaps also look fiberglass sinks - there are tons of types and they are inexpensive compared to stainless options.

Before:

After: (It's done now, but I don't seem to have any photos of the finished galley...hmm)

Good luck,
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:26   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post
Thanks Mongo. The sink cutout is 22" x 14 5/8ths and we need a depth of 7 to 8 inches. Can accommodate an inch or so either way around but need to be to get all the faucets for the fresh and salt water back on so can't go much more than 15.5 front to back.
If you have any luck, could you please post it?

I'm looking for the same size in a single sink. I have a double but the wells are so small I can not even turn a plate around to rinse it off properly. I've had to adapt hoses to my faucets for rinsing.

And can the hole in your old sink be repaired. SS is EZ to TIG weld. A patch behind the hole then fill and blend.
.............................._/)
Old 05-10-2010, 16:54   #12

Boat: Nordhavn 47
We found our odd sized sink at plumbingsupply.com. We went to a single sink from a double as well.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 17:12   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
When it came time to replace our sinks, we used the old one to make a mold and popped out a fiberglass version.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 17:34   #14

KDH, Delmarrey,

My brother happens to agree with Jim. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Mongo
Mongo7382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 17:28   #15
KDH

Thanks to all for the great suggestions and Mongo especially for checking. I finally decided to research the non-metal sink option. Found one made by Swanstone:

Swanstone Products

The distributors for Swanstone is Home Depot, Lowes and a few others. Comes in various colors but we went with plain white from Lowes and it was only 88$. The sink can be mounted as a drop in or undermount and has several options for holes for different faucet arrangements. Be sure you go to the website as the stores don't usually carry the smaller sinks. To search the website using the Lowes model number you have to put a 0 at the front and move the letters to the back. Thanks again- always amazed at the great people on this forum.