Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2018, 10:15   #16

Boat: Fairline Corniche 31
Re: TAMD41b Oil from Around Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
So if your local engineer says that the only place engine oil can be coming from is the rocker cover, and you are sure it's engine oil, replace the rocker cover gasket.

DougR
But...

From the taupe paper it doesn’t look like it’s coming from the rocker cover, it looks like it’s coming from around the injector
Dazzajon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 10:19   #17

Boat: Fairline Corniche 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bliss- View Post
Your leak is oil. At least that´s what the swedish mechanic who has worked on these engines all his work life said to me. He said it´s totally normal for an old VP-engine to let a little oil pass up to the top.
If you remove the oil fill cap while the engine is running, you might feel a a slight air pressure on your hand. This pressure is air and possibly a little oil. It´s totally harmless, just a sign of an engine with quite a few hours under it´s belt. Once again, I´m not claiming to be a diesel expert, just passing through what I assume is relevant information from a guy who probably could rebuild these engines blind folded.

Having removed all my injectors, I can say for certain there are no copper crush washers sealing the injectors to the top of the engine. As previously mentioned, the only copper washers involved seal the feed and return fuel lines.

I think it´s relevant to include the 30- something engines to the comparison as well, since 30 something and 40 something basically are the same engines only in different sizes. The 30 series being four cylinders, approximately three liters displacement engines (hence 30- something) and the 40 series being six cylinder, approx. four liters displacement. I´m stressing this, since information regarding the 30 something engines might be relevant to more sailors than the 40 something engines, since the 40 / 41 is a very big engine, rarely seen in sailing vessels, at least in my neck of the woods. The 30/ 31 on the other hand, was a very common engine for heavy displacement Swedish premium sailing vessels in the eighties and nineties.

Try the copperpaste- trick. I´m positive you´ll be satisfied.

Best of luck,
-kjetil-

I have run the engine and put my hand over the filler hole. I’ve even laid a piece of taupe paper over the top of the filler and given the engine some rev’s and the paper remains in place so no sign of blow by.
Dazzajon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 11:13   #18

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bliss- View Post
Having removed all my injectors, I can say for certain there are no copper crush washers sealing the injectors to the top of the engine. As previously mentioned, the only copper washers involved seal the feed and return fuel lines.
I'm not sure how many times I need to correct a misstatement about the location of the copper washers, but I will do so again. It does not make any difference, however, if the OP is correct that he has a lubricating oil leak - not a fuel oil leak.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 12:48   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzajon View Post
But...

From the taupe paper it doesn’t look like it’s coming from the rocker cover, it looks like it’s coming from around the injector
Sometimes you just can't pinpoint the exact faulty piece and you have to eliminate possible causes by replacement.

Starting with the say and cheap.

Maybe just replace the rocker cover gasket and see what happens.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 13:16   #20

Boat: Sweden Yachts

My sincere apologies to Dooglas for not seeing your statement quoted in post 11 was the same one you corrected in post seven. Absolutely didn´t mean to give you a hard time, just wanted to make sure the OP (and others in the same situation) didn´t end up spending new year´s eve searching for the infamous non existing washers.

To the OP: No matter what the accumulated gunk on your top is, you´ll most likely get rid of it by removing and cleaning the injectors and smearing a layer of copper paste prior to reassembly. A picture sure would have helped, but if you are positive the residual comes from the holes surrounding the injectors, copper paste will stop it. It might be an idea to have the injectors pressure tested while they are out anyway, but if the engine is running fine otherwice, I probably wouldn´t have removed more than the ones leaking. If it ain´t broken….

Unfortunately, I don’t remember which brand copper paste I used, but it is a product manufactured mainly to ensure movement in brake calipers. Back in the day I was a full time rigger, I used it to grease cold heads on rod rigs in order to make them move freely in the end terminals. Very versatile product to ensure movement in all highly loaded applications, but in the application relevant for you, the heat from the engine made it a great sealant for the injectors. Highly recommended.

I´m going sailing now and will most likely be off grid for a few days, so happy new year´s in advance.

Peace!
kjetil
-bliss- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 17:16   #21
Ado

hello,
You can't have oil coming from injector,It is not possible on yours engine,If you remove injector you need to have tools to clean injector seat on bottom,where injector seat ,and must be perfectly clean ,also you need Injector seat Reaming tools for this job, and tools is not expensive 40$ to 50 $, it is easy to do, Injector for your engine have copper washer ,it is good heat washer before inserting in injector hole, to be sure for proper seal ,and injector will not leak compression,,,,Oil around injector coming from gasket or seal crack on head, but most likely from gasket.
Ado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 17:23   #22
Ado

"Having removed all my injectors, I can say for certain there are no copper crush washers "

Make good look inside hole where injector seat, yours washer is on bottom where injector seat
Ado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil