Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2018, 05:40   #1

Boat: Fairline Corniche 31
TAMD41B Oil from Breathers

Hi all,

I've got twin TAMD41B's and oil is leaking from the crank case breathers. I was aware of this when I purchased the boat as it was picked up in the survey but the surveyor attribited to the fact that obviously the engine already sits lower at the rear than the front and when the boat gets on the plane it's even more so.

It's not leaking mega amounts of oil, but it's annoying as it drips down the back of the engine so I'm wondering whether anyone has a solution to this?

Before anyone asks, there isn't any piston blow by or anything like that as i've checked and the oil on the dip sticks is about a quarter so not overfilled either.

Cheers
D
Dazzajon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 06:48   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: TAMD41B Oil from Breathers

On ours I moved the vented upper valve cover to the middle and added an overflow bottle (just a small plastic container from Walmart), and run the engine about a quart low, or just about halfway between the 'low' and 'high' mark on the dipstick.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 06:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: TAMD41B Oil from Breathers

An oil separator is in order, they are in the valve covers of most engines, sometimes a labyrinth and sometimes just a bit of steel wool.
Sometimes they get dirty from sludge and need cleaning out.
It is of course blow by, its the only way an engine gets air into the crankcase.

You can make one if your factory ones are in good order or buy nice ones, look in the car racing catalogues for some very nice looking CNC machined and anodized ones, but they aren’t anything but a pretty can.
One on my drag bike years ago was a Mountain Dew can that sat on the swingarm, and I had more people trying to figure out how that Mountain Dew can was used to make me go fast than anything else.
You can mount them high enough so that the drain is connected to the engine sump and you never have to do anything, or just simply drain them. On a schedule, probably no more often than oil changes.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil