Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2020, 08:31   #1

Boat: 1991 custom steel staysail cutter 55'
sw202 wiring bow thruster

I have an older boat (90s) with an older vetus bow thruster and an sw202 solenoid. I have yet to find a relevant wiring diagram or picture that shows wiring on the internet. The posts on the vetus are labeled D1, D2, A1, A2. There are mounting connectors that hook up D1, D2 (looks like these are the "reversing" connectors), and A1 which goes to the odd terminal (no matching symmetric terminal) on the switch, so I'm not worried about that. The power and ground lines that activate the solenoid - I think I have those figured out. The last of the connectors, the battery, are the 2 connectors I need to figure out. I'm sure you are thinking "well just put them back where they connected to." Yeah, I would but unfortunately I had a guy work on this thing and he never put it back together, thus this post. I think the battery positive goes to the either solenoid terminal labeled "+", and I'm thinking the negative goes on the motor itself labeled A2 since there is no mounting connector on that motor terminal. If I could get someone to simply give me a picture or wiring diagram that shows where the battery leads hook up, that would be great.
jimhotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:39   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: sw202 wiring bow thruster

If I understand your text, here goes:

You are dealing with a motor and a reversing solenoid. Pretty sure the reversing is D1,D2. The switch is going to be on the positive side of the current, so A1. That leaves A2 for negative. Hook up A2 to negative. Touch A1 with 12v. Does the motor spin? If not, try the reverse. If the motor spins, then energize the solenoid. Does it reverse?

This should not be rocket science. Putting current on a DC motor the wrong way briefly should do it no harm. It's a reversing motor, so it should do it NO harm. Ditto a DC solenoid (which you should be able to hear click).
Old 02-02-2020, 05:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: sw202 wiring bow thruster

Forward/Reversing Contactor (Solenoids) Diagrams
https://www.evdrives.com/category_s/1927.htm

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring