Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-10-2014, 17:31   #1

Suzuki Outboard keeps dying, any genuises out there?

Long story short. I'm using a Suzuki DF6 as auxiliary power on a Pearson Triton. Issues with this basically are that the motor is not deep enough in the water, and it cavitates sometimes in swells, but generally has been super reliable and has never been a problem.

I'm on the Jersey Shore and have had some really rough days. First day I was running it hard, it did cavitate a lot but ran reliably and got me through a really frightening entrance into Shark River. I filled up with new gas that day.

Next day out I ended up plowing to windward for hours with the motor running. It got a fair amount of spray up inside. It ran reliably at full throttle for several hours. I was ready to make the entrance to Atlantic City and at that time it sputtered and died. I was able to start it with the choke and it would rev high, I could kill the choke and it might or might not idle but if I engaged it it would die immediately. I ended up calling for a tow. When the tow boat was in the distance (after about an hour), I gave the engine a last pull and it started right up, sounded great.

Trying to keep this shortish.

Basically I'm still having this problem where it starts up fine, it will run fine for about 30 minutes but if I put it at full throttle it will cut out after a bit. Sometimes it's easy to restart, sometimes not. I can now run it at half throttle without a problem, or at least it seems (I keep coming back to the dock).

I'm now in Wildwood. Mechanic has ultrasound cleaned the carb. Oil change. There was a concern that maybe it wasn't cooling right. Water pump and thermostat replaced. Fuel has been replaced and a new sparkplug installed.

Just took it out tonight and had the same problem. I went about 2 miles at half throttle, opened it up and ran it wide for maybe 15 minutes. Then it sputtered and died. Was able to get it restarted, went back to the dock.

Trying to do the deleware and the C&D canal, so I'm kinda stuck until I can get it working.

Any thoughts? I guess next step is the fuel coil and fuel pump?

Also changed out all the gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard