Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2023, 14:25   #1

Location: Startford, Ontario - boat currently in the Caribbean
Boat: Kaiulani 34
Parts for Yanmar/Hitachi S12-77A Starter and Solenoid

This seems an odd question to ask on a sailing forum, but can anyone tell me what vehicles have used the Hitachi S12-77A starter?

I read many years ago on this forum of a boat in the Carib who lost their Yanmar/Hitachi starter and was able to esily source a replacement at a local scrap yard. The post included the statement that many Japanese vehicles used these starters, but didn't specify which.

For years, I have been trying unsuccesfuly to obtain a spares inventory for this starter, while at home here in Canada, to take back to my boat in the Carib. The original starter continues to work flawlessly and if there are spares on hand, it will continue to do so.

Not being inclined to pay the eye watering price of a Yanmar stickered starter, I have been tring to get parts through the automotive market, but have always been stumped by the statement - "we can only source by the vehicle model and year". The starter repair shops I've been in touch with thus far, haven't yielded any gems either.

So can anyone tell me what vehicles to list if/when I need to find a replacement at a scrap yard, if I havent been able to source the spares in advance at an auto supply shop?

Thanks.
Mike Two Moons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 15:08   #2

Re: Parts for Yanmar/Hitachi S12-77A Starter and Solenoid

Stop looking at automotive suppliers and browse the industrial engine sites, you’ll find Yanmars in tractors, mini excavators, fridgemobile chillers , the list is long.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, yanmar