Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2014, 15:33   #16

Boat: I Want A Catalac
Re: Suzuki Outboard keeps dying, any genuises out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your oil can reminds me of driving home one night in a F250 truck with a bad fuel pump, my friend was under the hood with a Miller beer bottle full of gasoline dribbling it in the carburetor while I drove. You would be surprised how far you can get on one beer bottle full of gas
I know how far... I was the guy ON the hood!
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 15:35   #17

Hi if your engine runs at half throttle continuous, and is OK but not at full throttle continuous then you have a fuel blockage, check your tank, hose and pay particular attention to filters, connectors and fittings and clean your tank out. Your fuel pump can't pump with **** partially blocking the flow at full throttle. Adamsteel40, Australia
adamsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 16:32   #18

Well now it's working and ran well at all throttle ranges for 3 hours. The guy removed the whole external tank linkage which was never used. Went straight from the internal tank to the filter and pump. Now it seems to be working fine. I still don't trust it entirely. The only real issue is that I have two days of beach motoring ahead. 2 canals and a river. But all seems well.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 17:56   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
Well now it's working and ran well at all throttle ranges for 3 hours. The guy removed the whole external tank linkage which was never used. Went straight from the internal tank to the filter and pump. Now it seems to be working fine. I still don't trust it entirely. The only real issue is that I have two days of beach motoring ahead. 2 canals and a river. But all seems well.

You're lucky. You found the problem early. Be joyfull. Somewhere in that external tank valve and hose there was a problem, either leak, air leak or grit problem. Good luck.
Old 17-10-2014, 18:58   #20

Boat: Intrepid 9 meter, 29.5 feet

I had a similar problem with a diesel engine, which turned out to be the plugged screen on the fuel line in the tank. My chainsaws have filters on the fuel lines in the tanks, which can give a problem like yours. It does seem that the corroded fuel valve is the culprit. Good luck
Old Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 05:42   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

(Not sure if your's has an internal tank. Our 5-hp Johnson is actually pretty much a Suzuki DF5...)

Oops, I mis-remembered. Ours is the DT5Y equivalent, a 2-stroke.

-Chris
Old 18-10-2014, 14:30   #22

Boat: FP Mahe 36

Had a Suzuki DF15 for 13 years that powered our 29' cat. It lived in a hole, was never flushed and was basically treated quite poorly. The only issue it ever had was that it used to suffer from spark plug issues resulting in total or partial engine stoppages (how can an engine partially stop ? ..... One of the two plugs would fail). So, I'd try new spark plug or two. For interest that engine may still be going strongly as it was sold with the boat 4 years ago and was running and starting flawlessly then.
tpkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 08:46   #23

Ran it for 2 days straight after this with no problem.

That said I'm thinking about buying a tohatsu

sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 15:20   #24

Same problem here with 2005 df6: Runs and idles fine as I head out of the harbor, then kill the engine, sail a few hours. Fire up the engine on the way in, and it runs for 40 seconds then dies.

So, it's cold again when I restart it. I've changed the plug, which was black when the trouble started, and changed the fuel filter. I'm stricly using an external tank. Wondering if the fuel pump is to blame, and I'm changing that next.

The toggle switch is on my mind...

Thoughts welcome!
mcarolan1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
It appears to be the valve that switches from the internal to external tank. I only run on the internal tank (regrettably) because in think no one ever used the external tank and the connection is corroded. The switch for the internal tank I believe is corroded also. The mechanic bypassed the switch/valve and I just ran it for 30 minutes wide open without any hiccups. I have no idea what could be happening in that valve but I hope this is the end of it. I'm totally paranoid right now but currently it appears like it's working. It's 45 minutes or so to the cape May canal from here so I will have a chance to run it some more.

My DF6 would start fine, get me out of the harbor, then upon return, it would die after 3 or 4 minutes. After all hell broke out and I rehoisted sails, it started again.

I am having the same problem, and I went through new spark plug, fuel filter, etc., and then I had this epiphany that I checked the valve that directs fuel from the internal tank to an external tank, and fuel leaked out. I didn't think much about it, but a bypass might be the ticket.
mcarolan1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 13:55   #26

Boat: FP Mahe 36

Hi all,

Think I've resolved a similar issue on my Tohatsu 5hp 2 stroke.

Pretty sure it was dirty fuel. There is a small filter at the on/off cock on the side of the engine and the fuel from the internal tank comes right from the bottom of the tank so any debris in the tank goes straight to the filter .... and blocks it. So, after cleaning the carby, filtering all of the fuel through coffee filter papers and a funnel and cleaning any tank that I've used to hold fuel for the engine I've not had any problems at all.

Hope this helps. ��
tpkas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard