Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 21:49   #46

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Should I be scared of taking my Volvo Penta 2003 injector pumps apart?

Good on you mate, well done.

I have a narrative about injector pumps.

I was in a marina where there were a lot of boats getting ready for a bill fish angling tournament. Mechanics were working on the engines of boat opposite and appeared to be having a serious problem. Being a curious sort of soul I enquired as to what appeared to be the problem and was told that the injector pumps had been shipped to the agent for service and the engines would not start.

The competition was looming, the owner distraught, and everyone was desperate and consequently willing to allow the old codger on the sail boat to have a go.

I pulled a tappet cover of and got the number one cylinder on the right stroke, lined up the timing mark, removed the no 1 injector pump delivery line and turned the pump until the maniscus started to bulge, locked everything and replaced the tappet cover and cranked her up.

When they heard the engine running the mechanics demanded of me what I had done so I told them and in reply was told that that's not the way you do it on these engines. The owner interjected, instructed them to go back out to their beer drinking and asked me to get the second engine going, which I did.

He then requested I explain what had occurred to the service agent on the phone. After checking the service agent called back and explained that the pumps were used on a number of different engines and that the cam shafts installed were the wrong ones. However as the only difference was the position of the cam locking slot it would not be a problem to run the engines for the competition and they would exchange the pumps after it was finished.

The morals of the story; professionals are not always infallible and old codgers are not always fools and tend to have learned a lot on their passage through life.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 23:51   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^^

good one, Ray! Old farts have their uses... and a clever bit of thinking on your part, old fart or not!

Jim
Old 12-07-2020, 00:11   #48

Boat: Van de Stadt 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Well it looks like the washers seal the delivery valve & delivery v/v holder from the plunger & barrel so I'd say it's possible for a leak path if they weren't good. There should be a torque setting for the delivery valve holder ( the part with the o-ring ) so you get the pressure on those washers right.
Doubt it will fix your white smoke problems but I hope you prove me wrong
Well......I'm absolutely delighted to prove you wrong Compass790!

I just went down to the boat and replaced the three 60c copper washers I was too lazy to replace yesterday (item 9 in the attached photo).

- The engine now idles, accelerates and runs much more smoothly. It feels like a different engine!
- There is almost no unburnt fuel or smoke coming out the exhaust - hot or cold.
- The spent cooling water coming out of the tail pipe feels about 20 degC hotter than it was before I changed the washers.

I'm truly grateful that you mentioned those copper washers inside the injection pumps are supposed to be compressed.

I've come across chemical dosing pumps on process plants a few times that were pumping at the right stroke rate but the output was down. In all cases, there was an invisible internal pathway between the high pressure side and the low pressure side of the pump - usually a sticking check valve, but inadequate internal seals (eg. ones made of the wrong material and chewed up by acid or chlorine solution) can also be the culprit.

Essentially, anything that prevents the discharge volume per stroke of a positive displacement pump from equalling the swept volume will decrease the delivery flow rate. In process plants we check this with a drawdown test - ie. comparing what the manufacturer says the pump should deliver at a certain speed to what it actually delivers.

Clearly the fuel pressure delivered to the injectors has now increased significantly and the engine is loving it.

Boy am I stoked! In the past two days I've fixed an annoying smelly fuel leak and made my engine run significantly better for the princely sum of about $30 worth of parts.

Many thanks to all who provided valuable advice. This forum is well worth the price of admission
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3. Nozzle and exploded drawing.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	219175  
Swizzle Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:49   #49
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post
Well......I'm absolutely delighted to prove you wrong Compass790!

I just went down to the boat and replaced the three 60c copper washers I was too lazy to replace yesterday (item 9 in the attached photo).

- The engine now idles, accelerates and runs much more smoothly. It feels like a different engine!
- There is almost no unburnt fuel or smoke coming out the exhaust - hot or cold.
- The spent cooling water coming out of the tail pipe feels about 20 degC hotter than it was before I changed the washers.

I'm truly grateful that you mentioned those copper washers inside the injection pumps are supposed to be compressed.

Proved me wrong too!

Well done and I'm happy to be wrong if it means your engine runs better plus I learnt something new as well.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:34   #50

Did you source the O rings and copper washers from a VP dealer, or a Bosch outlet?
The price sounds too low for VP....
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:40   #51

Boat: Van de Stadt 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Did you source the O rings and copper washers from a VP dealer, or a Bosch outlet?
The price sounds too low for VP....
Yep. Authentic VP parts from the agent here in Melbourne (the big one in Australia, not the small one in Florida) .

3x O-rings PN 1698692
3x Gasket washers PN 870581

Cost about A$4.00 for all of them.
Swizzle Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 14:23   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Yep I'm delighted to be proved wrong about the white smoke & will make sure I torque the delivery v/v holder if I take our IP apart again. ( hardly likely)
Lucky you have lots of pump experience so knew to ask the pathway question.
Amazed at the cheapness of the green engine parts. I would have just got generic o-rings & copper crush washers assuming it would be over $100. Well actually I just put the washers in the gas flame & anneal them but you can run into thickness issues doing that so not really recommended.
The injection shops pump tester would have picked up the fault but I got quoted $150 to put a single cylinder IP on the pump tester so your DIY approach has saved you heaps.
Can see why you've lost interest in pulling the injectors. Doubt you'd be so lucky in the parts pricing if you damaged anything.
Enjoyed & learnt from yr thread
Cheers
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 07:43   #53

Boat: Catana 471

First, a huge THANK YOU to the folks who've shared how to do this repair... especially DougR and Swizzle Stick.

I have two Volvo D2-55's, and have fuel leaking from around several of the delivery valve retainers, so I'm about to attempt the same job. My injection pumps look almost the same as the one in DougR's photos (mine have 4 plungers, rather than 3), and I have already sourced the o-rings and copper crush washers. My question is... what's the correct tightening torque when re-installing the delivery valve retainer?

If it matters, my pumps are Zexel 104135-4030, which also cross references to Bosch 9 410 617 920 or Shibaura 13101 7800.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201130_163230004_iOS.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	233373  
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 08:15   #54

D2-55 torques:

Injectors- 64Nm, 47ft. Lb.
Fuel delivery pipes- 23Nm, 17 ft.lb.
Delivery valve holder- 42Nm, 31 ft.lb.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 08:16   #55

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
D2-55 torques:

Injectors- 64Nm, 47ft. Lb.
Fuel delivery pipes- 23Nm, 17 ft.lb.
Delivery valve holder- 42Nm, 31 ft.lb.
Thank you, Doug!!
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injector pump, penta, pump, volvo