Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2021, 00:59   #1

Perkins Diesel - Water in both Crankcase and Cylinder

I'm not sure what the etiquette is for having two threads at the same time, but I feel the initial answer was solved and a new one has emerged!

After noticing oil spouting from crankcase breather hose while attempting to turn over my motor (would not start, which is unusual), I drained the oil to find 4 gallons of saltwater in my oil sump. I pulled the injectors and one cylinder spouted water. I tried sucking it out with a hose and it kept topping off. I'm assuming it's refilling with the raw water inlet for the motor, or possibly backed up water in the exhaust.

I got some feedback that it could be the raw water oil cooler gone bad, which would explain the water in the sump, but wouldn't water in the cylinder be more indicative of backflow from a full exhaust? But if that's the case, how would that much water get in the sump unless I have a cracked cylinder head or something I'm really hoping that's not the case! Any advice is much appreciated!
Toomuchboattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 04:48   #2

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL
Re: Perkins Diesel - Water in both Crankcase and Cylinder

What Perkins engine?
Another spot where salt water can get into the sump is through the salt water pump seals. I had this problem on a BMW D50 , and in a couple of hours the engine blew out the oil/water mix through the dipstick opening. Cleaning the boat was much more work than the repair..

About the water in your sump.. was it clean water? On mine it was a complete emulsion. No clean water , no clean oil , just mayonese.
Is your engine mounted below the water line? If so, have you checked your vented loop? Bad SW pump or a blocked vented loop , and your engine could very well be siphoning saltwater from the intake.

edit: I guess all leaks before the vented loop could lead to siphoning salt water, including your oil cooler.

.manitu
Old 25-02-2021, 23:46   #3

Re: Perkins Diesel - Water in both Crankcase and Cylinder

Just an update to wrap up this thread. Turned out I'm pretty sure I made a begginer's mistake - turning over the motor without it starting and backflooding a cylinder. I also left the sea cock open when I left the boat. Thank god she was still afloat. There was an awful lot of salt water in there for that alone though, so It's impossible to rule out the water pump seals. Going to replace them to be safe.

But, after draining the saltwater, oiling the cylinders, turning them my hand, bleeding the fuel lines, and cleaning the injectors, she's running like the tractor engine that she is.

I truly appreciate all your help!
Toomuchboattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, perkins, water