Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2023, 06:30   #1

Repower Yanmar or Beta Pearson 424

Hi all,

We will soon be re-powering our 1983 Pearson 424. The boat currently has a rebuilt Westerbeke 58 approaching 5000 hours with a Borg Warner Velvet Drive and a new Walter V-Drive I installed myself two years ago.

The boat is located in New York City. I'm looking for any thoughts or advice on this project.

Pearson 422's and 424s have rear-facing engines that connect to the prop shaft via a v-drive.

I would keep the new V-Drive, but replace the engine and rebuild or replace the transmission and replace all engine-related wiring. Aging engine wiring, not really the engine itself, is what has me considering a repower. Though the engine is certainly up there in hours and I know its cooling isn't as efficient as it used to be.

There is a hot water heater plumbed to the engine.

I value efficiency, reliability, and simplicity of repair. I'm not interested in adding extra power for the heck of it. I imagine that just costing more in the long run.

As far as I can tell, my best options are Beta Marine or Yanmar.

The best Beta option, I believe, seems to be the Beta 50 with the Velvet Drive adaptor and their rear-facing water pump">raw water pump for easier impeller changes. I like the idea of the Beta because I have found well-documented Pearson 424 installs online and so I imagine they are familiar with the boat and the issues that will pop up.

For Yanmar, I do not know what my options are as far as suppliers or installers, though many a Pearson 424 and 422 have been repowered with Yanmars. I like the idea of a Yanmar motor as they are the standard sailboat engine found all over the world.

The last question is whether to do the install myself or hire a good yard. I have a relationship with a good boat yard in Connecticut that does Beta.

Would love to hear what the forum's thoughts are. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old 27-09-2023, 07:27   #2

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Repower Yanmar or Beta Pearson 424

We've owned/used both and were more than happy with both as regards to performance and reliability.
If you're heading off into the big blue, then Yanmar appear to have more 'official' dealers, that said I wouldn't adjudge them to be anymore competent, nor do they as a generalisation stock a great deal of spare parts and those parts are likely to be more expensive than Beta parts.
If it was my money, I'd choose based upon your local dealer/mechanic... which of those do you trust more? Buy from him whether that be the Yanmar or the Beta guy.
Old 27-09-2023, 11:41   #3

Thanks, bobnlesley that seems to be sound advice!
Old 27-09-2023, 11:54   #4

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber

Bobnlesley is correct about one thing. The Yanmar is a common rail computer engine. You definitely need an official Yanmar dealer for that one.
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 11:57   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Another deciding factor might be which brand has an engine that's easier to install with your mounting location, available space, and drive setup. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned with either Yanmar or Beta as an engine supplier.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 13:07   #6

Betamarine is the best choice in this instance, adapting a Borgwarner velvet drive to the flywheel housing and drive plate spline on a Yanmar is problematic, Beta can supply their engine with the housing and damper plate already fitted and probably the correct engine mounts as well, that velvetdrive is a heavy chunk of gearbox even without the reduction gear.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 13:21   #7

Thanks, skipperpete. I wonder if in the case of Yanmars a different gearbox is often used. In theory, it would just have to accept the shaft to the v drive, right?
Old 27-09-2023, 20:03   #8

Repower Yanmar or Beta Pearson 424

Yes, true but some yanmars in your hp group have gearboxes that rotate opposite to your BW transmission in ahead. Also its important to know how the existing arrangement is set up,
Is the Borg warner a reduction gear or direct drive?
Is the Walter a reduction or a 1:1?
A yanmar package will be considerably shorter than the Westerbeke BW combo if you have the reduction gear, can the walter shaft be extended to make up for the extra length?
The only real issues with a Yanmar common rail engine will be the fuel supply, you need big 2 micron primary filters to ensure only ultra clean fuel gets to the HP pump and you need to be aware that a loss of DC to the engine will stop it in the blink of an eye so no BMS or fuses in the main battery cable….. no problem with the Betamarine in this respect, mechanical injection works whether the engine has DC …. or not!!
Oh, I forgot to mention that Yanmar requires a 75mm exhaust, this often means a totally new system from mixer elbow to transom and can be expensive as well as difficult
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 21:09   #9

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Based on the easily adaptable transmission/V-drive and not having to deal with electronic gizmos it appears the Beta is a better choice.
Yanmar seems to offer a 45HP, with the next one up being a 57HP.
Comparing the Beta 50 with the Yanmar 45, they both are close to the same displacement, the Yanmar weighs less but needs more RPM for less power?
I've had little experience with either of them, (just changing impellers and filter/oil changes,) but one thing that always has been a sore spot with me concerning Yanmar, (some may laugh, it's ok,) is that they always appear to be festooned with all kinds of "stuff" fastened on to them at every conceivable place, they're not "clean" engines, they're kind of "exoskeletal" in a way.
The Beta, by comparison, has a simple/clean/uncluttered look.
Like the difference between a saxophone and a trumpet.
Last thought; a couple of mechanics that I've known/worked with have remarked that the bolts/fasteners on Yanmar seem to be "softer", that it was easier to round-off the nuts/heads of bolts, but I can't speak to that from my own work.
Old 28-09-2023, 00:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post

We will soon be re-powering our 1983 Pearson 424. The boat currently has a rebuilt Westerbeke 58 approaching 5000 hours with a Borg Warner Velvet Drive and a new Walter V-Drive I installed myself two years ago.
Jest to clarify,
Your wanting to repower a 40 year old boat with a current engine at less then 50% life AND contemplating having a marine service provider do the work. $$$$$

Seriously, consider selling the vessel and use the $50k to upgrade to a newer vessel.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 04:41   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

I have had a beta 50 in my boat for over 20 years now. No significant issues. Parts are available worldwide from Kubota tractor dealers.

Beta will make custom engine brackets to make the installation easy. I did my own work and did the engine swap in about a week. I spent much more time planning the swap than actually doing it. That was the key to a successful job.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 06:54   #12

Thanks all for the replies.

Bowdrie and Skipperpete, it sounds like Beta is the best fit, which is what my gut was telling me. I like the idea of a less complex, non-common rail engine as roryboy pointed out.
Old 28-09-2023, 07:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsnall View Post
Jest to clarify,
Your wanting to repower a 40 year old boat with a current engine at less then 50% life AND contemplating having a marine service provider do the work. $$$$$

Seriously, consider selling the vessel and use the $50k to upgrade to a newer vessel.
You read correctly.

Though I'm not sure I'd consider a rebuilt marine diesel from the early 1990's with 4600 hours on it "less than 50% life."

If we were just tooling around in a bay near a Sea Tow station... then possibly? That is not our use case. I can not have the engine failing while trying to outrun weather or in a ripping tidal strait.

I do appreciate your point though. While I believe the install, if done by a provider, would be closer to 35k not 50k, who knows these days? And once I'm in for a penny, I'm in for a pound with this project.
Old 28-09-2023, 08:15   #14

Boat: Valiant 40

Peregrine,
Have one year and 300 hours now on a new Beta 50 and “trusted mechanic recommended” Velvet Drive tranny with new Walter V drive in a 1983 Valiant 40. It replaced 5000 hr Perkins 4-108 with Paragon tranny and Walter V drive. Quieter than the latter at cruise.
Professionally installed. Very happy with performance thus far in PNW waters. Velvet Drive is direct drive IIRC. Shaft rotation direction with V drive something to keep in mind IIRC. Had some yard efficiency issues on the install but $35K overall may not be too far off the mark. Found best price 2 years ago for the Velvet Drive at Discount Inboard Marine (skidim.com) in SC i believe. Saved $1K. Ordered separately. Final installed length an inch or so longer than prior set up. Installer modified mounts to fit with little bed modification necessary. Used Beta provided feet. So far so good. Starts like a dream. No drips/leaks like the old Perkins. Clean pads. But……it’s a boat….YRMV. Good luck.
DHW
ulul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 10:09   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulul View Post
Peregrine,
Have one year and 300 hours now on a new Beta 50 and “trusted mechanic recommended” Velvet Drive tranny with new Walter V drive in a 1983 Valiant 40. It replaced 5000 hr Perkins 4-108 with Paragon tranny and Walter V drive. Quieter than the latter at cruise.
Professionally installed. Very happy with performance thus far in PNW waters. Velvet Drive is direct drive IIRC. Shaft rotation direction with V drive something to keep in mind IIRC. Had some yard efficiency issues on the install but $35K overall may not be too far off the mark. Found best price 2 years ago for the Velvet Drive at Discount Inboard Marine (skidim.com) in SC i believe. Saved $1K. Ordered separately. Final installed length an inch or so longer than prior set up. Installer modified mounts to fit with little bed modification necessary. Used Beta provided feet. So far so good. Starts like a dream. No drips/leaks like the old Perkins. Clean pads. But……it’s a boat….YRMV. Good luck.
DHW
That's great info, ulul. Thank you. I'm glad it's quieter at cruise. The W58 isn't exactly quiet ever!

Tags
pearson, power, repower, yanmar