Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2023, 09:00   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: Repower Yanmar or Beta Pearson 424

I am not sure if one would get parts for the Stephensons Rocket of 1824? but it is for sure that one will get all essential parts, bearings and gaskets as cylinders, pistons and piston rings for any engine ever built. There are special dealers for these parts and they are not listed by a bloody part number but on the dimensions on a tenth of a millimeter.

When someone refurbishes a crank shaft he will give you the measures for the required bearing dimensions and if you wont be able to buy them hje will turn them down to the needed dims.

And this is possible for almost all parts of an engine.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 14:27   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
I am not sure if one would get parts for the Stephensons Rocket of 1824? but it is for sure that one will get all essential parts, bearings and gaskets as cylinders, pistons and piston rings for any engine ever built. There are special dealers for these parts and they are not listed by a bloody part number but on the dimensions on a tenth of a millimeter.

When someone refurbishes a crank shaft he will give you the measures for the required bearing dimensions and if you wont be able to buy them hje will turn them down to the needed dims.

Entirely true....... in Pakistan!!.......you can see verification on YouTube. Guys in pajamas and sandals on the side of the road welding up crankshafts and conrods
But in our world , those are false assertions, the cost-benefit ratio makes it prohibitively expensive to rebuild old engines and relatively inexpensive to install new ones ( apart from the high labour costs for installation). And then there’s the EPA regulations that require engines to conform to emission standards that are not achievable by Detroit diesel,our beloved Perkins and your old Ford Lehman. In Australia, Europe and the US, a $5,000 dollar repair bill for an injector pump and 4 injectors is about average and an OEM turbo from Volvo, €4000. A heat exchanger for a Yanmar JH or LH engine can be as much as $5000. Your only option to avoid being financially assaulted for rebuild parts is to buy Indian or Chinese...... with the possibility that you might be building in an even bigger problem than the one you’re fixing.
OP, your most likely best choice ( re using the velvet drive and Walter Vee) is Betamarine...... mostly because adapting the transmission and drive plate to the Yanmar could be difficult and expensive.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 15:17   #33

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post

Anything is possible, but some projects I have worked on have spent 6 or 7 figures because the parts are not readily available.
Of course there is always a work around, but that costs time and money and you fix it this time but what happens next time?
I would be very mindful that we can buy a good diesel now but for how much longer? Soon no new diesels Maybe available, in say 10 - 20 years then we will be forced to burn HVO at some point. Or forced to go EV in 20 - 30 years time.

I would rather run an ICE in the meantime.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 22:22   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

skipperpete
Lancing Marine:
Ford 2712 E Rebuilt Engine | 1968-82 4.1 L 80 @ 2500 P5-17 £4,848
Diesel Pump refurbished this year = 400 €. Due to stupids and a fraud I had mounting charges of 1500,--€ instead of 300€

Last year three of four engine brackets broke. Remanufactured the stern ones... 250€ bought a new gear case... 150€, bought new heat exchangers around 150€ each.

a new yanmar 4che3.. could not find the price now but I bet we are talking about £12-14,000,--. Yes, for the whole, ready to run engine including gearbox...

Listen, I am qualified as a quality-manager and the phrase is: "Sell the satisfied customer the cheapest scrap you can buy"

And when, by time, he is not satisfied any more - leave him alone as he will buy another product at a company that is also owned by us.

willi - out
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:29   #35

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The Lehman is still a reasonably supportable engine, so costs aren't crazy to keep one running. But that's not the case for all engines. For my aging Onan generator, there are certain parts that are discontinued and getting very hard to find. When I end up needing one of those, it's time to do some serious hunting to find it. If I can't, then I have to see if I can adapt something else to work. Eventually that escalates to the point where it's just not practical to keep the thing running.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:19   #36

Boat: Westerly Sealord

My Volvo MD17D got to the end of the road recently. 5000 hours on it when the hour meter stopped working 29 years ago.
Ordered a Beta 35 ex UK delivered Chile for about £7940UKP. That includes assorted extra bits and freight.

Ordered in May, meant to leave the UK this week ( quoted delivery 14 weeks) , arrives in Chile?

Had hoped that the Volvo would go the distance but it was not to be. As of last week coolant in the oil and the injector pump does not want to inject any more so repowering in Algarrobo.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:00   #37

"Aging engine wiring, not really the engine itself, is what has me considering a repower. Though the engine is certainly up there in hours and I know its cooling isn't as efficient as it used to be."

Is the Westerbeke 58 the Perkins 4-108? Or a lehman? Either are great engines. You want to change out the engine because of the wiring? 5000 hours isn't a problem on a Perkins.... if it has been treated well.
How much wiring is on a diesel engine? Not much!

Still, I understand wanting to start fresh. I'd probably go with the Beta, but either I would go with a Non Turbo version.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 07:56   #38

Boat: CS 36

Having replaced a Westerbeke 33 with a Beta 35 in a smaller vessel and have had a good experience with the Beta 35, the support from the North Carolina Beta team was / is very helpful. One of my purchase criteria was to avoid having a computer in the diesel engine (being in IT, one less computer on the water was a deciding factor). When I asked about have a spare computer or even a diagnostic tool for a common rail (computer controlled) diesel, that was not a option for a end user at that time, this may have changed since however I would defer to others in this group on.
forwardvoyage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, power, repower, yanmar