Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2023, 12:12   #16

Re: Repower Yanmar or Beta Pearson 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Hi all,

We will soon be re-powering our 1983 Pearson 424. The boat currently has a rebuilt Westerbeke 58 approaching 5000 hours with a Borg Warner Velvet Drive and a new Walter V-Drive I installed myself two years ago.

The boat is located in New York City. I'm looking for any thoughts or advice on this project.

Pearson 422's and 424s have rear-facing engines that connect to the prop shaft via a v-drive.

I would keep the new V-Drive, but replace the engine and rebuild or replace the transmission and replace all engine-related wiring. Aging engine wiring, not really the engine itself, is what has me considering a repower. Though the engine is certainly up there in hours and I know its cooling isn't as efficient as it used to be.

There is a hot water heater plumbed to the engine.

I value efficiency, reliability, and simplicity of repair. I'm not interested in adding extra power for the heck of it. I imagine that just costing more in the long run.

As far as I can tell, my best options are Beta Marine or Yanmar.

The best Beta option, I believe, seems to be the Beta 50 with the Velvet Drive adaptor and their rear-facing water pump">raw water pump for easier impeller changes. I like the idea of the Beta because I have found well-documented Pearson 424 installs online and so I imagine they are familiar with the boat and the issues that will pop up.

For Yanmar, I do not know what my options are as far as suppliers or installers, though many a Pearson 424 and 422 have been repowered with Yanmars. I like the idea of a Yanmar motor as they are the standard sailboat engine found all over the world.

The last question is whether to do the install myself or hire a good yard. I have a relationship with a good boat yard in Connecticut that does Beta.

Would love to hear what the forum's thoughts are. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Hey
I just installed a new Isuzu 45 hp in my boat after a failed overhaul of my beloved Perkins 4108 ( now I have lots of good parts)
The reason why I got an Isuzu ? I was told that if I would do the install of Beta myself I would loose the warranty
I don't know how this is In the USA but check it out
good luck any ways
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 12:37   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The Beta can use a 2" exhaust, but the Yammie can't. I looked at the Isuzu, but was turned off by the timing belt. No problem with DIY warranty in the US.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 13:13   #18

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.K. View Post
Hey
I just installed a new Isuzu 45 hp in my boat after a failed overhaul of my beloved Perkins 4108 ( now I have lots of good parts)
The reason why I got an Isuzu ? I was told that if I would do the install of Beta myself I would loose the warranty
I don't know how this is In the USA but check it out
good luck any ways
Not true in my case. They sent a mechanic to look over my install. No charge for the look over and they were happy with the job. This was done in England. I was cruising there at the time and I worked directly with the factory. The managing director and I think he was also the founder.

I did have some idler pulley bearings replaced under warranty in the US. This was for a customization I had them do that spins the bearings at high speed. This has become a maintenance item for me. I wanted my second alternator to spin very fast at idle and they did that for me. I also have emailed and called in questions a few times and received good support. I do like the people in England better than the USA and these days calling them is very inexpensive.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 15:09   #19

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I recently installed a Beta 50, getting rid of a Perkins 4108 that ran away. I did all the work myself alone 3000 miles from home. It was an easy install. The best part for me was bleeding the fuel lines, I don't think it can be easier than the Beta system. First time hitting the key it lit up right away and runs smooth and quiet. While the engine is out I would pull the fuel tank for inspection too.

It has a little over 100 hours now and you can eat off the pan below the engine, no leaks like the Perkins.

If you need some suggestions doing the work yourself you can PM me for my phone number.
NorthCoastJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 15:42   #20

Boat: Tartan 37 #288
Repower Yanmar or Beta Pearson 424

Did a repower on our old boat in 2021, at that point only Beta would honor a self install warranty.

A installation checklist ( alignment, exhaust, rpm at full throttle, etc) was all that was needed for them to accept.
abroadreachtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 13:11   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Beta. The reason Yanmars are all over is because they give them away to builders, and then the boat owner gets the shaft on the obscenely expensive parts.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 14:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Beta. The reason Yanmars are all over is because they give them away to builders, and then the boat owner gets the shaft on the obscenely expensive parts.

No, that’s the Volvo playbook, although I do agree that Yanmar parts are expensive. In my personal experience Yanmar are the least likely small engine to fail ( apart from damage via wet exhausts) and are among the very few manufacturers that build small marine engines in their entirety rather than the rest of the field that simply bolt on a heat exchanger, raw water pump and a third party gearbox to a Kubota or Shibaura then spray em green, red, blue or yellow and call them their own.
To the OP, your best option is probably Betamarine for your specific application.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:00   #23

I’m a Beta Marine fan for one reason. They are simply marinized Kubota motors. Kubota is the number 1 selling small diesel manufacturer in the world. If yup need parts you can often get it directly from Kubota. Beta is the number one motor used for repowering.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:41   #24

I captain an 1888 Oyster Sloop for the Long Island Maritime Museum. The boat displaces 12 tons, has a 14 foot beam, 4 ft. draft before dropping the centerboard, and about a 36 ft. LWL. Her spar length is 60 ft. Seven years ago the museum replaced the old Westerbeke with a 50 HP Beta naturally aspirated 4 cylinder diesel with glow plugs. In season we run six days a week and have 550 hours on the engine. It has never needed to have oil added to the crankcase and the engine oil becomes a little darker brown during the season, but never black. It has an engine oil sump pump on the side for easy oil changes and the fuel and oil filters are spin off style. Shaft rotation is clockwise when viewed from the stern. Max RPM's are 2800. I operate at 2,000 to 22,000. Never more than 25,000.

When I repowered my Marshall 22, I replace the smoking Yanmar two cylinder with a 20 HP Beta 3 cylinder. It weighs less than the equivalent Yanmar 20 HP and takes up less space. It's also easier to service. Parts are readily available from Beta Marine in North Carolina.
nrx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:21   #25

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryboy View Post
Bobnlesley is correct about one thing. The Yanmar is a common rail computer engine. You definitely need an official Yanmar dealer for that one.
If there is a choice between a Common Rail Engine and another one, I would choose the other every time.
As much as I love working with the Electronic Diesel the Common Rail, is a step too far for a personal craft. As you need 100% faith in your fuel. I have seen a little water cause 4 figure damage,. That same issue in a non common rail, might of meant changing a filter.

Beta is just a Marine Kubota, have never found Kubota parts hard to find. ( I have a Beta)
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:05   #26

I put a 50 Beta in my Morgan , loved it
GregWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:25   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Refurbish the old Westerbeke as the others will not make 5000 hrs but 500 - if you are a lucky guy.

""Aging engine wiring, not really the engine itself, is what has me considering a repower""

you are joking aren't you?
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:42   #28

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Refurbish the old Westerbeke as the others will not make 5000 hrs but 500 - if you are a lucky guy.

""Aging engine wiring, not really the engine itself, is what has me considering a repower""

you are joking aren't you?
What???
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:40   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Sorry but the wiring can not cause a decision to throw out the engine and yes nobody will tell us but the new built stuff with turbochargers glow plugs and electronic diesel injection pumps are rotating up to 3300 rpm while my old ford lehman 2712E does 1400 rpm.

When I do have a lightning strike the only thing that can brake is the alternator as the starter is sturdy enough. The only ELECTRIC wiring I need is from battery to starter and thats it!

And with a new engine? Yes the consumtion can be reduced by 1/3 at the cost of simplicity.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:49   #30

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Sorry but the wiring can not cause a decision to throw out the engine and yes nobody will tell us but the new built stuff with turbochargers glow plugs and electronic diesel injection pumps are rotating up to 3300 rpm while my old ford lehman 2712E does 1400 rpm.

When I do have a lightning strike the only thing that can brake is the alternator as the starter is sturdy enough. The only ELECTRIC wiring I need is from battery to starter and thats it!

And with a new engine? Yes the consumtion can be reduced by 1/3 at the cost of simplicity.
The lighter, higher RPM engines aren't necessarily quite as durable as some of the heavier duty engines out there. But of the newer engines out there, the Betas tend to be a bit lower revving and more heavy duty than some options. Plus, all of the newer stuff has the advantage of better tolerances and more advanced engineering, metallurgy, etc. to help them achieve adequate durability.

Don't forget, outside of commerical use, almost nobody manages to actually wear out a boat engine. Usually they get killed by failure of an ancillary part, neglect, or they reach the point where a mechanically fine engine gets retired due to parts availability, the boat being destroyed, or other factors.

I'm no fan of complexity for complexity's sake, but when there's a clear cut benefit to a more complex engine (such as lower fuel consumption, less noise, less soot to scrub off the transom, etc.) then that complexity is justified, provided the systems are designed to be maintainable and I can get the parts and service information needed to keep everything working.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, power, repower, yanmar