Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2021, 18:29   #1

Replacing gauges on a Westerbeke 4-60

I have a newly acquired sailboat built in 1973 with a Westerbeke 4-60 15 hp inline 4. Seems to run like a champ. The instrument panel, however, appears to be original and showing its age; i.e not particularly clear, oil needle bounces, some corrosion, may or may not have back lighting. I would like to replace everything; tach, amp, temp., oil, as a set. What would folks recommend as the best approach? I don't know enough about engines to know whether gauges are specific to an engine or whether there are universal gauges were one size fits all. Do they need to be Westerbeke specific? Thanks.
InnisfreeVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 06:07   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Replacing gauges on a Westerbeke 4-60

Out is not necessary to purchase OEM replacements. Just remove your gage from the panel, measure it carefully, and purchase an aftermarket replacement. Personally I prefer VDO gages which are the OEM supplier to several manufacturers.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 06:35   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Replacing gauges on a Westerbeke 4-60

Yes on the VDO gauges. We also have Westerbeke, 1983 engines. VDO has an offering of 12-24 gauges with LED lighting. Our originals disintegrated when I tried to replace burned out incandescent bulbs. New gauges was one of the easiest jobs so far. Traced the wiring, made diagrams, located the sensors, installed new. Worked better than I imagined, no faults and fixed a few long term imaginary issues that turned out to be dodgy gauges.

New sensors come with the gauges as well as fittings.

You might also take a critical look at your ignition switch. Ours developed loose and/or high resistance across the contacts for the aux circuits. This caused faulty readings on the old gauges, high temperature. The blister pack replacement at the chandlers was inadequate and failed quickly. Order one with a high amp rating for Marine use.

If it helps, these are the units I installed. They are really nice.

VDO oil. A2c53412998
https://www.vdo-gauges.com/media/ins..._11%20Rev-.pdf

VDO Water. A2c53413355
https://www.vdo-gauges.com/media/ins..._11%20Rev-.pdf

VDO Volt meter. A2c53191767-s
http://www.vdo-gauges.com/techdocs/m...er%2012_24.pdf
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke