Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2022, 11:54   #1

Boat: Hanse 575
Replacement engine: Volvo or Yanmar? Common rail or mechanical?

I find myself in the Caribbean and our Volvo D3-110 has given up the ghost and needs replaced. 2 of 3 cylinders are dead.

This is a common rail, ECU engine. 110hp. It has been a great engine until now but I’ve never been comfortable with the technology…. Having to have a Volvo tech plug the vodia laptop in to diagnose anything. Other than changing the oil, I’m helpless to trouble shoot any problems with it.

My options are to replace it with the same thing…. A wonderfully smooth and technological marvel…… or switch to a Yanmar… which also offers a common rail option……… But, I am very much attracted to the Yanmar mechanical injection choice for its simplicity! It is something that I can fix myself I think!

What am I missing? What else should I consider?

At the end of the day, I’m hoping to get a motor that is super popular, easy to get parts and service and will run for years and years on any sludgy fuel that is dispensed in remote locations….

Thoughts??
IL1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 14:17   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Replacement engine: Volvo or Yanmar? Common rail or mechanical?

Beta Marine, also purely mechanical.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 14:51   #3

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Is rebuilding not an option, should cost way less than half a new one.

But if you have to replace, Beta is a very good choice.

Edit: and a good filter system
Old 19-03-2022, 15:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL1333 View Post
My options are to replace it with the same thing…. A wonderfully smooth and technological marvel…… or switch to a Yanmar… which also offers a common rail option……… But, I am very much attracted to the Yanmar mechanical injection choice for its simplicity! It is something that I can fix myself I think!

At the end of the day, I’m hoping to get a motor that is super popular, easy to get parts and service and will run for years and years on any sludgy fuel that is dispensed in remote locations….

Thoughts??
A wonderfully smooth and technological marvel or old school simplicity? Tough choice.

Firstly, new modern diesels engine diagnostics are almost identical to old school except for the electronics which are incredibly reliable (except for lighting strikes) they are also far more fuel efficient.

Have you ever repaired a fuel injector or pump yourself? There are items on both engines that you may not be able to fix yourself.

Generally, parts and service is better for current model engines and both suffer in remote areas.

Neither will run for long on sludgy fuel and clean fuel is probably the most important item for longevity after cooling for any motor. I would weigh up cost (purchase & parts costs) service/parts support, efficiency, warranty and engine popularity and decide which suits your circumstance better.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 04:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Beta Marine, also purely mechanical.
Yanmar used to be my go-to engine. I absolutely adore them - but their parts-pricing has become predatory, just like Volvo's.

I agree with SailorMed. Go with the Beta which you can learn to fix yourself and as it's a kubota block, parts are available all over the world and a lot more affordable.

The major drawback of course will be the Beta engine profile vs. the Volvo's previous profile/orientation and how it sits in your available engine space.

Good luck with your decision and the upcoming project. It's a big project.
Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 04:54   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

If you never leave 1st world urban areas then ECU. If you venture anywhere else then mechanical.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 11:18   #7

Seems to be a little confusion here.....

The VP D3-110 is a 5 cylinder electronically controlled diesel engine equipped with a Bosch common rail fuel system and direct injection. It meets the latest EPA Tier 3 emission regulations.

The Yanmar 4JH-110 is a four cylinder electronically controlled diesel engine equipped with a Bosch common rail fuel system and direct injection. It meets the latest EPA Tier 3 emission regulations.

The Beta engine in the same power range is a traditional diesel with a mechanical fuel pump, but it does not meet Tier 3 emission regulations. This means the engine cannot be legally installed in a vessel which will be brought back to the US unless there are no other readily available Tier 3 compliant engines in the market place which will fit the vessel.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 15:57   #8

Boat: Pearson

Yanmar….
Old 20-03-2022, 16:05   #9

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

I wouldn't touch a Volvo with a ten foot pole (or a 6 foot Ukrainian - inside joke).

I've had an Isuzu C240 (4 cyl) in Scorpius for over 30 years and 7,000 hours - and it still runs beautifully despite horrific abuse (I won't go into details). It starts EVERY time, and around here parts are easily available - much better than Yanmar.

But, if I were to change engines now, as others have advised, it would probably be a Beta.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 16:10   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

make mine a 20' pole
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 16:27   #11
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL1333 View Post
I find myself in the Caribbean and our Volvo D3-110 has given up the ghost and needs replaced. 2 of 3 cylinders are dead.

This is a common rail, ECU engine. 110hp. It has been a great engine until now but I’ve never been comfortable with the technology…. Having to have a Volvo tech plug the vodia laptop in to diagnose anything. Other than changing the oil, I’m helpless to trouble shoot any problems with it.

At the end of the day, I’m hoping to get a motor that is super popular, easy to get parts and service and will run for years and years on any sludgy fuel that is dispensed in remote locations…. Thoughts??
Like anything else marine, do your research and then shop around and get estimates.

One thing to consider is everything else that is necessary to make the refit complete, not just the engine. Staying with the same manufacturer may have a cost advantage.

Another is how long you are going to keep the boat.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 16:33   #12

I think that Beta is now tier 3 compliant up to about 105 HP.
They will also easily make custom engine mounts so that the new Beta is basically a 'drop in' mechanically.
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 16:36   #13

Dear Glen,

A rebuild at 50% or less than the cost of new is a repair in today's world not a rebuild.
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 17:49   #14

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Bought a new Volvo Penta D2-50. Great engine, horrible company. The installation manual does not come with the engine. It can only be down loaded by a Volvo tech. There is no national tech support phone number. It is directed to a local dealer. Don't buy Volvo Penta.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 17:53   #15

Boat: Amel 50

Having had each, I vote Yanmar because of availability, reliability and documentation quality. But it’s a bit like Pepsi vs. Coke. Personal experience weighs heavily.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, engine, mechanic, men, volvo, yanmar