Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2023, 15:47   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Penta 2000 fuel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danonthewater View Post
Hi Pete,

Only the first Injector pipe squirts fuel.
Can you blow down the second pipe?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 16:58   #17

Penta 2000 fuel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danonthewater View Post
Hi Pete,

Only the first Injector pipe squirts fuel.

Have taken the second injector pump out, and soaking the mechanism in diesel for a bit, thought it was worth a try?

Maybe the pump is shot?

Seems weird it was working fine a month ago, when I engines around to get lifted out?

Ah well, just a coincidence I guess?

Dan, if only 1 out of 3 injector pumps ......(assuming this is a 2003) is delivering fuel it probably means the other 2 have stuck plungers. Usually you can confirm or dismiss this theory by operating the shutdown control lever, it works by moving the fuel rack which should stop the currently functioning pump element from delivering fuel.......if it doesn’t, the other 2 plungers are hung up and defeating the movement of the engine stop. In a way, you’re lucky it’s two plungers hung up, if it was only one then you could easily have had a 2 cylinder runaway with only the decompression lever to quickly kill it.
Oops, it’s a 2002, not a 2003 but the above comments are still valid.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 17:49   #18

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Have you checked compression ,are the valves sealing ,the wd 40 into the intake ,completely bypasses the injection so engine should fire on wd 40 alone ,if it has compression and the valve timing is correct and valves sealing , check and check again .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 23:52   #19

It's actually not coming out from the pump direct, without the injector pipe on.

In the end I took injector pump 2 off, and am soaking it in diesel, when I took it off, I made sure that the fuel line through it (the two ports) were not blocked, and they were not! So it seems that fuel was able to go across the pump, but it wasn't actually being pumped out of and into the injector pipe, which points to a few things:

Either the pump is goosed, the pump was stuck inside, and hopefully the soaking in diesel will free it up, or there is a problem with the cam below it?

We will see today, when I put the pump back on and see if there is anything coming out of the injector pipe port?
Danonthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 07:15   #20

If your engine worked fine before the filter change it should work now. Usually no need to break everything loose to get diesel to flow. Diesels will self prime to a point.
Must be something simple, siphoning air etc.

Good luck!
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 08:16   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

If only one injector is providing fuel, issue is in the injector pump.

Stuck pistons or check valves.

If it was laid up for a while and there was any water in the fuel , it may have formed corrosion. (Or gunk in the fuel...)

On my engine, (not a Penta) my next step would be to remove the stop cable and cycle the stop lever back and forth while tapping the injector pump with a plastic mallet.

Cycling the stop lever will cause the outer sleeves in the pump pistons to rotate thus maybe breaking the plungers inside he sleeves free.

If it frees up, I would then run Liqui Molly diesel purge through the system to clean up the pump and injectors. You run it in a closed loop by re-routing the injector return line to the fuel tank back tothe Liqui-Moly container.

Example of purge:

Cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 09:56   #22

Boat: Beneteau 423

Hi. I presume you are using the cold start procedure, throttle full open, stop lever out and in, then crank.
ColIn Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, penta