Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2005, 15:01   #1

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Volvo Penta 2000 series

Are any of you good people familiar with the Volvo Penta 2000 series diesels? do they have any particular known weaknesses or idiocyncracies? In particular I am interested in the normally aspirated 2003 - the 3 cylinder 28hp.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 16:56   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien - 35ft
Send a message via Skype™ to cyclepro
Haven't had any problems with mine - runs like a charm everytime you push that start button - in the past 12 months I only had to replace one of the supply hoses but since this was still one of the original ones I didn't balk at the $108.00 expense (commissioned in 1993 with 700 hours. Easy to change filters and also easy to change oil.

Jan
cyclepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 20:17   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I have two of the subject units, Laverne & Shirley (larboard & starboard). For lots of detail see the boat website at www.stateham.com/sunspotbaby. Check the specifications page for serial numbers to compare age. Engine age is assumed to be 11 years (same as boat). Hours still a little less than 3,000, at least according to the tachs. While they have been generally reliable, they are hard to start in cool weather, especially Laverne. Each has a cylinder significantly lower in compression than the others. I am probably close to overhaul. Hopping for one more Bahamas cruise before that happens.

Every system has supporters and detractors. My Volvos have not been trouble free, neither have they been a pain in the A--. I am generally happy with them, but 3k hrs seems short for OH need. I was hoping for something closer to 5k. I have considered re-powering with Yanmar but I could OH the Volvos several times for the difference.

Previous owners swapped instrument panels without proper wire looms and connections. This has caused me a fair amount of trouble shooting and expense, but is not related to quality of the product.

Sunspot Baby
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 20:20   #4

Thanks for the info guys.

Incidentally, Sunspot Baby, that link doesn't seem to work...not for me, leastways.
Old 30-11-2005, 20:39   #5

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
The system has a nasty habit of including the period at the end of the sentence in the link. Try a copy and paste without the dot at the end.

Sunspot Baby
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:50   #6

Cool

Got it...

...looks like a sweet vessel - lots of nice photos too.
Old 02-12-2005, 19:31   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot 38 - Limerick
Maybe not the same engine - but I have a pair (as of yet, unnamed) of 3cyl 18hp 2020C engines- 1999 version.
They seem to run well, and have had no particular problem with them over the past year of ownership. I was told once (unsubstantiated) that these are an English Diesel that Volvo has marinized.
A few Pain in the A_ _ issues are:
Thermostat can only be replaced by yanking the entire exhaust manifold.

Heat exchanger is rather unique - it is inside the exhaust manifold. The seating is critical and must be carefully done - otherwise you will find that coolant is going out the exhaust pipe.

Also I believe the Volvo replacement parts are rather dear. I think I would rather have Yanmars.

On the question of longevity. My last boat, an Ericson, had a Universal 4cyl enging with, as I remember, about 7,000 hrs. A highly respected mechanic told me that you should expect 15,000 to 20,000 hours before overhaul. That implies that the hours are not just to and from the dock. Those are very bad hours. Mine had been run long hours in Mexico, so good for the engine.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Bill

Bill
Bill Houlihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:40   #8

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Volvo MD2040

I have two Volvo MD2040 in my 3 year old Privilege 435, in charter in the BVI with around 2500 hours on each. In August when I was out for the last sail before the annual overhaul all was apparently. Two charters later in October smoke started spewing out of the port engine which then proceeded to pump all the oil out through the dipstick. Result... engine out, bore re-hone, new piston, rings etc. I haven't yet seen th bill but I hope it doesn't arrive before Christmas.

Anyone any ideas what might have caused this? (boat has a generator (5000 hours) so the engines shouldn't have been used lightly loaded)
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:47   #9

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
.... don't seem able to edit my previous post so...

Meant to type that the engine was in apparently perfect condition just a couple of weeks before failure.... Started quickly, ran smoothly, no smoke.
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 14:15   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
For the problem you describe, it sounds like the rings or Piston failed majorly. I would ask the mechanic just what failed. It could be a number of issues, but mostly likely a metal failure in either a ring or piston head, that a piece from either has then caused major destruction. The oil being blown out is a sign of sudden and very high amounts of compression leakage past the piston. A piston can also fail due to overloading the engine and faults in the fuel injection. But both of these would have longer term tell tale signs before failure.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 19:28   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 31
Volvo Penta 2003 parts

Does anyone have a source for parts for a Volva Penta 2003T? I need to replace a rod . . .

Thanks for all the great posts, this is a great source!
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2005, 11:22   #12

I have had excellent service from Trans Atlantic Diesels (parts)

www.tadiesels.com A gal by the name of "Sherri" has given me excellent service and advice. I heard a lot of talk about exorbitant prices for Volvo parts , however this has not been my experience. I am happy with both the service and prices. I am not saying Volvo parts are cheap however the Muffler, sea water filter new engine and sail drive that I purchased were priced very competive
My experience with Trans Atlantic has been very good.
Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2005, 11:40   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 31
Penta 2003 parts

Thank you, Mr. Fixit. Found the part at Trans Atlantic Diesels and elsewhere. Thanks, everyone else, for not posting the anticipated "How COULD you DO that" response!
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2005, 23:03   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Probably because most here would realise the answer to that is, Because you can, and it can happen to anyone.
So what was the story anyway? Or should it go in the "things that went wrong" heading.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 14:27   #15

Incidentally, the engine performed well whenever called upon during the 1200 nautical mile delivery, which was probably a total of about 35 - 40 hours.

Tags
penta, volvo