Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2014, 12:47   #61

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Next Step to Get Diesel Started

Check the exhaust elbow where the sea water is sent into the exhaust system. These clog with carbon and crusty stuff on many engines. That is usually an easy one you can do yourself. Just make sure it seals when putting it back on so no exhaust gas gets into the boat.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 13:13   #62

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
"Next Step to Get Diesel Started"

Have you considered hiring a qualified diesel mechanic, one certified for your brand of engine?

Sometimes you can do more damage fooling around if you don't know what you are doing.
I completely agree with you. I know this thread has gotten long, but I did hire someone work on it last week as soon as troubleshooting the fuel issue went beyond my scope. I reached that point when I thought it was the injector pump that was faulty and was scared poopless of tinkering with it (turned out to just be the lift pump). I know this thread has deviated from the original post but several contributors asked to be updated on my progress (and I figured others could build on my learning process).

Based on my research, unclogging a Universal HX seems manageable (and relatively safe) as a DIY project but would readily conclude otherwise if wiser minds disagree. I have come across Maine Sail's suggestion of bringing to a radiator shop for a complete clean, "boil", and pressure testing. I am considering this as a preventative maintenance measure even if I am successful in unclogging myself.
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 13:15   #63

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Quote:
"Next Step to Get Diesel Started"

Have you considered hiring a qualified diesel mechanic, one certified for your brand of engine?

Sometimes you can do more damage fooling around if you don't know what you are doing.

Pretty easy to turn a $100.00 repair into a $2000.00 or more, I've seen more than once.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 14:03   #64

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Pretty easy to turn a $100.00 repair into a $2000.00 or more, I've seen more than once.

At 100 dollars per hour, there are damn few 100 dollar repairs.

If one does not make the attempt oneself, one will forever be dependent upon the 100 dollar an hour guys. Even if there are occasional f-ups, in the long run, if one is planning to be a cruiser, one better start out with as much DIY as possible. Remember, there are a lot of nice cruising destinations where diesel mechanics don't exist (or any other tech help, for that matter).

And really, what long term harm can come from clearing out a heat exchanger?

Jim
Old 24-11-2014, 14:33   #65

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
At 100 dollars per hour, there are damn few 100 dollar repairs.

If one does not make the attempt oneself, one will forever be dependent upon the 100 dollar an hour guys. Even if there are occasional f-ups, in the long run, if one is planning to be a cruiser, one better start out with as much DIY as possible. Remember, there are a lot of nice cruising destinations where diesel mechanics don't exist (or any other tech help, for that matter).

And really, what long term harm can come from clearing out a heat exchanger?

Jim
I made a living repairing things and I have first hand experience with the results of "DIY" attempts. Some people are "mechanically inclined", some are not. Some will never be.

My neighbor (who has a college degree in something) knocked on my door one day. I answered and he asked "Ron, on a boat does it mater which way you connect the battery?"

To make a long story short, he had connected the battery backwards and blown the fuse inside the outboard cowling.

He rewired his trailer and called me over because the lights didn't work. I asked him why he hadn't connected the white wire (ground on a trailer). He said he didn't know where it went (it was supposed to go to the frame).

Why did he rewire the trailer? One light kept blinking. Rewiring the trailer didn't fix this but tightening the loose bracket that the light was fastened to (my suggestion) did fix the problem.

Should this guy be working on his boat? On any boat?

BTW: Two things about working on a heat exchanger come to mind:

1) Reconnect the hoses incorrectly.

2) Punch a hole from the raw water side to the coolant side.
Old 24-11-2014, 14:45   #66

I was referring to the cost of parts, not the cost of labor. I agree unless a person has unlimited funds for boats it's best to be able to do the regular maintenance and simple repair jobs yourself. The knowledge base to be a competent diesel mechanic takes several years to acquire plus several thousand dollars worth of tools. So the majority of boaters are at most only going to do task that that they have the tools and experience to accomplish. Some will tackle projects with pliers, crescent wrench and a hammer and get amazing results because their knowledge far exceeds the limited tools they have on hand. There are others that can have a Snap-On truck full of tools and couldn't properly change filters and oil. Starting the engine and leaving the dock with the thruhull closed could've turned a simple repair into a blown head gasket, cracked head or scored liner and piston is what I mean by the cost escalating. I think in the end it comes down to the Clint Eastwood line "a man needs to know his limitations"

Old 24-11-2014, 14:53   #67

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I made a living repairing things and I have first hand experience with the results of "DIY" attempts. Some people are "mechanically inclined", some are not. Some will never be.

My neighbor (who has a college degree in something) knocked on my door one day. I answered and he asked "Ron, on a boat does it mater which way you connect the battery?"

To make a long story short, he had connected the battery backwards and blown the fuse inside the outboard cowling.

He rewired his trailer and called me over because the lights didn't work. I asked him why he hadn't connected the white wire (ground on a trailer). He said he didn't know where it went (it was supposed to go to the frame).

Why did he rewire the trailer? One light kept blinking. Rewiring the trailer didn't fix this but tightening the loose bracket that the light was fastened to (my suggestion) did fix the problem.

Should this guy be working on his boat? On any boat?

BTW: Two things about working on a heat exchanger come to mind:

1) Reconnect the hoses incorrectly.

2) Punch a hole from the raw water side to the coolant side.
Well, Ron, I'd have to say that your neighbor will never be a successful cruiser! And for sure there are many folks like him littering the earth, but the OP has already shown some willingness to learn, to seek advice and then to act upon it. Make mistakes? Sure he will - witness the closed valve that he's owned up to. Will the mistakes be costly? Who knows? But if he simply hires out all such jobs, he will never learn, never be able to DIY when that is the only alternative, never have the satisfaction of seeing his own efforts rewarded with a successful fix.

Now, as to your two hypothetical disasters with the HX: keeping the hoses correctly organized is pretty damn simple on all the engines I have worked on. In fact on many, incorrect connection is nigh unto impossible due to physical constraints. And punch a hole in the core? If it is corroded to such a thin section that this is possible, well, he's far better off to find it out now than later at sea!

I can't remember... were you one of the folks who said that Sailorchick should not attempt the impossibly difficult task of rebuilding her engine herself? Perhaps not, but there were plenty who did so... and she is not the only competent sailor who is willing to take on unknown tasks.

Anyhow, I support the OP's desire to do as much as possible on his own.

Jim
Old 24-11-2014, 15:20   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, Ron, I'd have to say that your neighbor will never be a successful cruiser! And for sure there are many folks like him littering the earth, but the OP has already shown some willingness to learn, to seek advice and then to act upon it. Make mistakes? Sure he will - witness the closed valve that he's owned up to. Will the mistakes be costly? Who knows? But if he simply hires out all such jobs, he will never learn, never be able to DIY when that is the only alternative, never have the satisfaction of seeing his own efforts rewarded with a successful fix.

Now, as to your two hypothetical disasters with the HX: keeping the hoses correctly organized is pretty damn simple on all the engines I have worked on. In fact on many, incorrect connection is nigh unto impossible due to physical constraints. And punch a hole in the core? If it is corroded to such a thin section that this is possible, well, he's far better off to find it out now than later at sea!

I can't remember... were you one of the folks who said that Sailorchick should not attempt the impossibly difficult task of rebuilding her engine herself? Perhaps not, but there were plenty who did so... and she is not the only competent sailor who is willing to take on unknown tasks.

Anyhow, I support the OP's desire to do as much as possible on his own.

Jim

Thank you and much appreciated! While I understand the point about knowing when to bring in the mechanic, I don't see how that is relevant to not opening the through hull unless it is being suggested I should have a resident mechanic on board to remind me to open the valve every time I leave slip.. I think the lack of an established routine and checklist is The real culprit of my overheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-11-2014, 15:23   #69

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

You're doing fine NOLA.You seem to be careful & ask questions-that's good.
You have worked ur way thru the water pump">raw water pump.
I assume you have no water,or a trickle with lots of steam, from overboard exhaust.
You will have to take HX apart to clean out the impeller pieces,if nothing else.

Before you do,remove the 3/4" hose that goes from the HX to the exhaust elbow.Start engine,run up to 1500 quickly & check for full hose flow.If no or poor flow,shut down the engine.The HX ,or the hose from RW pump to inlet of HX is blocked.
If you have good flow at exhaust elbow inlet,you have a blocked cooling passage in elbow(a common problem,due to corrosion),OR your exhaust hose is collapsed inside(common problem,especially if water flow is low-exhaust burns the rubber liner).
Other possibles are blocked muffler,or hose from muffler to overboard.
Chk these first,as they are easier,& it's doubtful a HX would be blocked enuff to cause overheat at such lo RPMs,as u stated.

If u have to disassemble HX,this is where you could have problems,since the bolts/nuts/threads can be very rusty & easy to twist off.Same story with the exhaust elbow. I'm not familiar with ur particular engine,so I'm speaking in general terms about rusty/seized fasteners.
Get a $50 torque wrench if u can.Get 6 point sockets that fit snugly.Apply PB Blaster & let sit for an hour or so.

5/16(8mm) & 3/8(10mm) if they don't let go at 25-30ft-lbs,ur probably going to need torch heat. Good luck!
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 15:27   #70

Boat: Seafarer36c

So this is how you would by-pass a inop fresh water pump/alternator belt. You would do it at the heat exchanger hose connections.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 15:29   #71

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
Thank you and much appreciated! While I understand the point about knowing when to bring in the mechanic, I don't see how that is relevant to not opening the through hull unless it is being suggested I should have a resident mechanic on board to remind me to open the valve every time I leave slip.. I think the lack of an established routine and checklist is The real culprit of my overheat.

My method for remembering to open the thru hull water is to put the keys for the engine on a loop of string and then put that loop over the handle of the thru hull. Not fool proof but pretty close.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 16:14   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post

I did not mean to suggest that a qualified mechanic is needed for any repair and running with the thruhull closed was because no mechanic was available, I apologize if that's how it came across. Being one of two boat owners in the marina that are also professional mechanics we both help other boat owners all the time. That is one of the ways the other owners without the necessary skills learn how to maintain their boats. I would suggest to 1st ask questions or for help with a problem from someone close by who you have faith in their abilities. What was the repair that cured your starting problem? One good thing to remember there are mechanics and there are part changers and one cost a lot more $$$ in the end. Good luck

Old 24-11-2014, 16:43   #73

Boat: Camano Troll

When I suggest bringing in a qualified mechanic or electrician to solve a boat problem, it's not an attempt to insult someone or suggest that boat owners should not perform their own repairs, it's because the poster has either demonstrated by his/her posts that they have no idea what they are doing or that they seem to be trying hit or miss solutions without any rhyme or reason. Hiring a mechanic can be less expensive than just replacing parts until the problem goes away.

Certainly a boat owner can do what he or she wants with their boat but mistakes can be expensive or even dangerous. As someone posted above, you have to know your limitations. From what I have seen, a lot of people do not.

And yes, some "mechanics" are just parts changers. Best results are usually with someone working for an established authorized shop.
Old 24-11-2014, 20:03   #74

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

NOLA,

We all had to start somewhere with boat electrical and boat mechanics. We are not born with that knowledge. Even the best of us geniuses here had to start with the very basics.

You are ahead of that on the learning curve so hang in there. I truly hope you didn't do too much damage with the overheating.

kindest regards,
Old 25-11-2014, 06:20   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
My method for remembering to open the thru hull water is to put the keys for the engine on a loop of string and then put that loop over the handle of the thru hull. Not fool proof but pretty close.
I was thinking of doing the same thing!

Tags
diesel