Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 22:30   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Downeast 38 - Next Step?

Once again drawing on the vast knowledge here. I have done a fair amount of web searching on downeast yachts and the downeast 38 in particular.

Does anyone have any specific information about this boat?

There is one in Singapore and I am being asked to take a look at it. I like the boat because it is a pretty heavy, full keel yacht. There seems to have been a fair few made and it meets my requirement to be a cutter rig for ease of sailing. This one is repwered with a universal engine.

I may have an opportunity to look at this boat this week and potentially a chance to sail it.

Here are some links to take a look at.

boats.com - Search Results

The Downeaster - Down East Yachts

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 15:13   #2

I love the looks of these boats. I have looked at a couple myself. My biggest concern is the big windows.
jpcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 21:07   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the reply. One thing I like about the boat is the big windows. For the tropics I choose light and ventilation over boat performance.

I'll be taking a look at the boat this week. The owner is supposed to be coming out soon as well so I will plan to meet up.

Surprising there is not more opinion - unusual for this place - LOL.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:28   #4

I am not familiar with boats/prices in that region, but the one in Singapore on Yachtworld appears to be over priced in comparison to the couple here in California and Mexico. All of these are asking around 50-60K. There is one in Mexico that has a pretty extensive list of cruising gear and was sailed from Alaska to Mex. that started at 68 and is currently at 59. In speaking with the couple directly (instead of the broker) they told me to make an offer and they would consider it.

The Downeaster - Down East Yachts is a decent website with some info. I read Latitude 38 monthly and have found several 32s and a 38 that are currently roaming the SPac as well as a couple that have circumnavigated...so I know that they are capable.

I still love the looks and lines on that boat. The only reason the big windows are a concern to me is because I plan to cross the Pacific. I know that people have done it in the 38 and even the 32. The question is, can I get past that love at first sight.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:48   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dan,
All I know about them is that they have a good reputation and that the lines look like they'd make a good sea boat. That's kind of why I didn't reply earlier. Never heard anything bad said about them.
Are you dreaming or actually looking?
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 13:06   #6

So glad it's been repowered. Which Universal did they install?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 20:44   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the replies -

The info says Universal 44hp. Probably a 5444? Any comments about this motor? Any preferred gearboxes/drive train with these engines?

Dreaming or Serious? - Good question. I thnk I am at the point where I need to start seeing more boats. I have a pretty good idea what the next one should have in terms of systems, size and capability. I am pretty sure I know what construction materials and methods I want. If the right boat shows up I can get the my hands on the money pretty readily - so, yes. I am prepared to buy but I am not in a rush to buy the wrong boat. If locating the right boat takes a year, that's fine too.

Availability here is the biggest factor. The market is very small and the selection of boats is also small. I have expanded my search to include Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia and Thailand. I can reasonably reposition the boat from these places at a reasonable cost. I would consider Australia but getting it here is at the limits of time, cost and adventure...

On the surface this boat is way overpriced but having a look should be worthwhile - If it turns out good then I have to work the price. I have a trip coming up to the US in November so if this boat looks OK I might try and see some of the 5 boats listed in Long Beach for comparison purposes.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-10-2007, 20:51   #8

Boat: Valiant 50
Selamat Pagi Dan

One trusts that the helms person in picture 2 of the picture gallery on Yachtworld.com isn't the reason for your attraction to this boat?

It looks well worn on the inside and outside and will cost a fortune to tart up - even with the cheap labor in Batam.
Old 08-10-2007, 21:17   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
One trusts that the helms person in picture 2 of the picture gallery on Yachtworld.com isn't the reason for your attraction to this boat?
No - But quite possibly the reason for the sale
Old 09-10-2007, 04:03   #10

5444 was a good motor. It has a few peculiarities. I don't like the manual lift pump without priming lever, but it has compression release. It's still a Kubota and parts are still available.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:41   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
downeast 38: I looked at a few also. beautiful lines and a full keel. the ones I looked at had been sailed hard and were almost 30 years old ... they were too much of a rehab for me to consider.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:06   #12

FYI - most of the listings in Long Beach are all the same boat. There appears to be a nice one in San Diego as well.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:56   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Tradition is overrated...

I am not a total fan of traditional boats.

Beneteaus have their critics but as an all round performer they excel.

What about Magic of Fremantle up in Langkawi?

Even a 13 year old boat will need work, but nothing like a 29 year old, and spares for the 13 year old will still be available.

You should have no trouble finding crew to sail the boat down.

Selling a boat in Phuket would not be easy...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 21:22   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The broker failed to close the loop with me so far so I still haven't seen the boat.

Pat - thanks for the follow up

Regarding other 38s - Just to clarify - the only reason to see the boats in Ca. would be to compare. I am not super focused on this mark at all.

Regarding 30 y/o boats - The right boat doesn't scare me. You have to accept that a 30 y/o boat is going to be vastly different than a new one and most of the same mark will be different from each other. This particualr boat has a good and recent cruising history so it hasn't been a buoy queen. That would be be scary.

Boracay - A benneteau wouldn't be out of the question but doesn't quite fir the plan I am on.

First boat - sub 30 foot - cheap learning.
Second boat - big enough for multi day passages up to a week. Don't break the bank ~60-80k - 36-38 feet.
Next boat - Liveaboard - possibly a cat, pilot house or motorsailer. This is the boat I will probably retire on.

Why do you think selling a boat in Phuket is difficult. I have not heard this before.
Old 10-10-2007, 22:20   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
At the edge of the yachting universe...

It may not be more difficult to sell a boat from Phuket, but for an owner stuck there it probably feels like it.

A quick check of Yachtworld suggests that '93 351's might sell for less than $95K.

I would have thought that the lighter Beneteaus would be better suited to tropical sailing than the heavier, older boats...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote