Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 10:26   #16
Registered User

Join Date: May 2021
Location: Merced, CA
Boat: Chris Craft Sail Yacht 35
Posts: 13
Re: Need help Westerbeke 40 (Perkins 4.108)

Great idea! For $20.00 that could save a lot of busted knuckles.
River Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:27   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Deale, MD
Boat: Moody 376
Posts: 130
Re: Need help Westerbeke 40 (Perkins 4.108)

for parts that are state side, look at Transatlantic diesels TAD https://www.tadiesels.com/ i had great luck with them ordering parts and received in short order.


on my 4108 with the bowman HE, its a PITA getting access to the port side of the engine. I have great access stbd and aft, OK access port and poor access fwd.


there are PDF's of the service/teardown manual which will help as well.


and when bleading be very gentle with the bleeder screws on the fuel injection pump...
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 14:11   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 834
Re: Need help Westerbeke 40 (Perkins 4.108)

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
Thanks Skipperpete!

That would be a good start to locate it. Can you think of anything I may need to remove to be able to get to the cover?


Haha, good question River Runner, on some installations the answer could be “the engine”
But hopefully in your case just the intake manifold and some plumbing. The gasket is often cork and won’t survive a removal and if my suggestion that a stuck valve contributed to the missing pushrod is correct, a gasket set might be worth considering.
Pete.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 14:37   #19
Registered User

Join Date: May 2021
Location: Merced, CA
Boat: Chris Craft Sail Yacht 35
Posts: 13
Re: Need help Westerbeke 40 (Perkins 4.108)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
for parts that are state side, look at Transatlantic diesels TAD https://www.tadiesels.com/ i had great luck with them ordering parts and received in short order.


on my 4108 with the bowman HE, its a PITA getting access to the port side of the engine. I have great access stbd and aft, OK access port and poor access fwd.


there are PDF's of the service/teardown manual which will help as well.


and when bleading be very gentle with the bleeder screws on the fuel injection pump...
Thanks, I’ll give transatlantic diesel a try. I ordered the new pushrod yesterday and forgot to get new gaskets.
River Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 14:41   #20
Registered User

Join Date: May 2021
Location: Merced, CA
Boat: Chris Craft Sail Yacht 35
Posts: 13
Re: Need help Westerbeke 40 (Perkins 4.108)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Haha, good question River Runner, on some installations the answer could be “the engine”
But hopefully in your case just the intake manifold and some plumbing. The gasket is often cork and won’t survive a removal and if my suggestion that a stuck valve contributed to the missing pushrod is correct, a gasket set might be worth considering.
Pete.
Quick question, do you think the valve may still be stuck? I would hate to put a new pushrod in just to bend it again. Thanks
River Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:05   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 834
Re: Need help Westerbeke 40 (Perkins 4.108)

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
Quick question, do you think the valve may still be stuck? I would hate to put a new pushrod in just to bend it again. Thanks


Once you get the rocker cover off you should be able to see if the valve is the same height as the others. If it is the same height, try pushing the valve down using a piece of wood ( hammer handle works well). The valve should spring back instantly when the pressure is relieved. Make sure you don’t lose the little cap on the top of the valve stem if your engine version has em.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:46   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Port adelaide south australia
Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Posts: 241
Re: Need help Westerbeke 40 (Perkins 4.108)

Maybe a bent pushrod ,the side cover plates are reasonably easy to get off ,to access the cam followers and lower end of pushrods ,should reveal all ,hard to believe it ran smoothly,basically a good if not heavy older style engine.⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:28   #23
Registered User

Join Date: May 2021
Location: Merced, CA
Boat: Chris Craft Sail Yacht 35
Posts: 13
Re: Need help Westerbeke 40 (Perkins 4.108)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Maybe a bent pushrod ,the side cover plates are reasonably easy to get off ,to access the cam followers and lower end of pushrods ,should reveal all ,hard to believe it ran smoothly,basically a good if not heavy older style engine.⚓️⛵️
Yeah, it fires right up. The big problem was the smoke. It was embarrassing out on the San Francisco Bay with other boaters pointing at the big black cloud of smoke following us like We we’re clueless. The last straw was when our US flag’s white stripes turned gray!
River Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:45   #24
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back in California working on the farm
Boat: Westsail 28 and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,749
Images: 5
Re: Need help Westerbeke 40 (Perkins 4.108)

I'm having a hard time imagining that the engine isn't trying to jump off it's mounts running on 3 cylinders. You say it runs smoothly. Not sure how that is so if it is out of balance and would be difficult to start.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:02   #25
Registered User
 
Boatyarddog's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Olympia, Wa
Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Posts: 1,263
Images: 2
Re: Need help Westerbeke 40 (Perkins 4.108)

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
Yeah, it fires right up. The big problem was the smoke. It was embarrassing out on the San Francisco Bay with other boaters pointing at the big black cloud of smoke following us like We we’re clueless. The last straw was when our US flag’s white stripes turned gray!
My 4-108 had 3 stuck valves and 3 bent pushrods.
The previous owner had not repaired a drip of seawater coming from the water pump">Raw Water pump and the drip ate a hole in the timing cover, got water in the oil.
That's how he left it.
A Couple years later I found the vessel and checked it out.
After pulling the valve cover, I found the valve train had rusted up.
I removed and soaked the rail and all parts in Kero and deemed them able to be used.
Pulled the side cover, inspected for damage, all okay there.
The 3 stuck Valves would not move at first, so I sprayed the all down with Kroil penetrant waited a day or so and lightly tapped on those that were stuck and then they moved down further, still stuck.
I was pleased to find that there are no pre combustion chambers in the 4-108 and was able to "tap" the valve heads using the piston with a rachet on the crank pulley.
Bumping the heads of the valves can be a disaster if on an angle.
These engines have the valve pointing straight down though, so I was able to tap down and bump up till they were working on their own spring pressure to move up.
It worked for me.
You can tap on those valve heads with a dead blow hammer and you'll be able to tell if they are stuck.
The Perkins are pretty robust engines.
Mine has run perfectly since, it's been 6 years and a couple hundred hrs since.
SV Cloud Duster
__________________
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:08   #26
Registered User
 
Boatyarddog's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Olympia, Wa
Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Posts: 1,263
Images: 2
Re: Need help Westerbeke 40 (Perkins 4.108)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining that the engine isn't trying to jump off it's mounts running on 3 cylinders. You say it runs smoothly. Not sure how that is so if it is out of balance and would be difficult to start.
Mine started on 2 cyl.
But didn't run "as advertised"
Actually ran though.
SV Cloud Duster
__________________
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 19:23   #27
Registered User

Join Date: May 2021
Location: Merced, CA
Boat: Chris Craft Sail Yacht 35
Posts: 13
Re: Need help Westerbeke 40 (Perkins 4.108)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Once you get the rocker cover off you should be able to see if the valve is the same height as the others. If it is the same height, try pushing the valve down using a piece of wood ( hammer handle works well). The valve should spring back instantly when the pressure is relieved. Make sure you don’t lose the little cap on the top of the valve stem if your engine version has em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Mine started on 2 cyl.
But didn't run "as advertised"
Actually ran though.
SV Cloud Duster
My brother said re-name it “Mosquito Abatement” and runner as is!
River Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
perkins, westerbeke

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale or Trade: Perkins 4-108/Westerbeke 40 oldcal46skipper Classifieds Archive 10 22-03-2012 15:53
How Do I Plumb a Water Heater to a Westerbeke 40 / Perkins 4.108 ? svaletheia Engines and Propulsion Systems 3 17-12-2011 18:14
Westerbeke 40 / Perkins 4-108 Leaking Oil svaletheia Engines and Propulsion Systems 13 22-11-2011 14:41
For Sale: Perkins 4-108, 4-107 or Westerbeke Parts johnar Classifieds Archive 0 06-10-2010 08:59
Perkins 4-108 vs Westerbeke 4-108 world spectator Engines and Propulsion Systems 14 15-08-2010 17:33

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.