Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 10:26   #16

Boat: Chris Craft Sail Yacht 35 Hull 008
Re: Need help Westerbeke 40 (Perkins 4.108)

Great idea! For $20.00 that could save a lot of busted knuckles.
River Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:27   #17

Boat: Moody 376

for parts that are state side, look at Transatlantic diesels TAD https://www.tadiesels.com/ i had great luck with them ordering parts and received in short order.

on my 4108 with the bowman HE, its a PITA getting access to the port side of the engine. I have great access stbd and aft, OK access port and poor access fwd.

there are PDF's of the service/teardown manual which will help as well.

and when bleading be very gentle with the bleeder screws on the fuel injection pump...
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 14:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
Thanks Skipperpete!

That would be a good start to locate it. Can you think of anything I may need to remove to be able to get to the cover?

Haha, good question River Runner, on some installations the answer could be “the engine”
But hopefully in your case just the intake manifold and some plumbing. The gasket is often cork and won’t survive a removal and if my suggestion that a stuck valve contributed to the missing pushrod is correct, a gasket set might be worth considering.
Pete.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 14:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
for parts that are state side, look at Transatlantic diesels TAD https://www.tadiesels.com/ i had great luck with them ordering parts and received in short order.

on my 4108 with the bowman HE, its a PITA getting access to the port side of the engine. I have great access stbd and aft, OK access port and poor access fwd.

there are PDF's of the service/teardown manual which will help as well.

and when bleading be very gentle with the bleeder screws on the fuel injection pump...
Thanks, I’ll give transatlantic diesel a try. I ordered the new pushrod yesterday and forgot to get new gaskets.
Old 04-05-2021, 14:41   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Haha, good question River Runner, on some installations the answer could be “the engine”
But hopefully in your case just the intake manifold and some plumbing. The gasket is often cork and won’t survive a removal and if my suggestion that a stuck valve contributed to the missing pushrod is correct, a gasket set might be worth considering.
Pete.
Quick question, do you think the valve may still be stuck? I would hate to put a new pushrod in just to bend it again. Thanks
Old 05-05-2021, 01:05   #21

Quote:
Quick question, do you think the valve may still be stuck? I would hate to put a new pushrod in just to bend it again. Thanks

Once you get the rocker cover off you should be able to see if the valve is the same height as the others. If it is the same height, try pushing the valve down using a piece of wood ( hammer handle works well). The valve should spring back instantly when the pressure is relieved. Make sure you don’t lose the little cap on the top of the valve stem if your engine version has em.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:46   #22

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Maybe a bent pushrod ,the side cover plates are reasonably easy to get off ,to access the cam followers and lower end of pushrods ,should reveal all ,hard to believe it ran smoothly,basically a good if not heavy older style engine.⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Maybe a bent pushrod ,the side cover plates are reasonably easy to get off ,to access the cam followers and lower end of pushrods ,should reveal all ,hard to believe it ran smoothly,basically a good if not heavy older style engine.⚓️⛵️
Yeah, it fires right up. The big problem was the smoke. It was embarrassing out on the San Francisco Bay with other boaters pointing at the big black cloud of smoke following us like We we’re clueless. The last straw was when our US flag’s white stripes turned gray!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:45   #24

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'm having a hard time imagining that the engine isn't trying to jump off it's mounts running on 3 cylinders. You say it runs smoothly. Not sure how that is so if it is out of balance and would be difficult to start.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:02   #25

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Yeah, it fires right up. The big problem was the smoke. It was embarrassing out on the San Francisco Bay with other boaters pointing at the big black cloud of smoke following us like We we’re clueless. The last straw was when our US flag’s white stripes turned gray!
My 4-108 had 3 stuck valves and 3 bent pushrods.
The previous owner had not repaired a drip of seawater coming from the water pump">Raw Water pump and the drip ate a hole in the timing cover, got water in the oil.
That's how he left it.
A Couple years later I found the vessel and checked it out.
After pulling the valve cover, I found the valve train had rusted up.
I removed and soaked the rail and all parts in Kero and deemed them able to be used.
Pulled the side cover, inspected for damage, all okay there.
The 3 stuck Valves would not move at first, so I sprayed the all down with Kroil penetrant waited a day or so and lightly tapped on those that were stuck and then they moved down further, still stuck.
I was pleased to find that there are no pre combustion chambers in the 4-108 and was able to "tap" the valve heads using the piston with a rachet on the crank pulley.
Bumping the heads of the valves can be a disaster if on an angle.
These engines have the valve pointing straight down though, so I was able to tap down and bump up till they were working on their own spring pressure to move up.
It worked for me.
You can tap on those valve heads with a dead blow hammer and you'll be able to tell if they are stuck.
The Perkins are pretty robust engines.
Mine has run perfectly since, it's been 6 years and a couple hundred hrs since.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:08   #26

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining that the engine isn't trying to jump off it's mounts running on 3 cylinders. You say it runs smoothly. Not sure how that is so if it is out of balance and would be difficult to start.
Mine started on 2 cyl.
But didn't run "as advertised"
Actually ran though.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 19:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Once you get the rocker cover off you should be able to see if the valve is the same height as the others. If it is the same height, try pushing the valve down using a piece of wood ( hammer handle works well). The valve should spring back instantly when the pressure is relieved. Make sure you don’t lose the little cap on the top of the valve stem if your engine version has em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Mine started on 2 cyl.
But didn't run "as advertised"
Actually ran though.
SV Cloud Duster
My brother said re-name it “Mosquito Abatement” and runner as is!

Tags
perkins, westerbeke