Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2016, 00:36   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Nanni and Beta engine difference

I'm reviewing options for a repower and in doing so I've picked up that the red Beta engine and the blue Nanni engine both are Kubutta engines. Does anyone know if there are any significant differences with them?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 00:48   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Nanni and Beta engine difference

Quite possibly the same base engine, but the details of the marinisation are slightly different. I have a nanni. I like most things about it except the exhaust elbow system.

Also there is a guy in sydney that marinises kubotas wm marine http://wm-diesel.com/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-04-2016, 00:55   #3

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Quite possibly the same base engine, but the details of the marinisation are slightly different. I have a nanni. I like most things about it except the exhaust elbow system.

Also there is a guy in sydney that marinises kubotas wm marine Witchards Marine - inboard diesel engine manufacturers for yacht or motor boat - WM Diesel.

Gee, another one. These kubotas are pretty popular then. I like that idea.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 02:12   #4

I repowered with a WMDiesel a few years back.
Positive vote from me, both in terms of service and end product.
Base engine in my case was a Kubota V3300, marinised by WM, Nanni and Beta, and possibly others.
Given the current exchange rate, WM may well be cheapest

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:17   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

the biggest difference seems to be heat exchanger.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:40   #6

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Yanmar is over... Kubota is it for the foreseeable future for a fantastic, reliable, low maintenance, low vibration, quiet Japanese diesel... Beta US is keeping it at a higher price than Yanmar which isn't fair.... someone should maranise the Kubota in the Bahamas, or elsewhere if Beta US has a strangle hold on the US market... it should be cheaper than Yanmar. Kubota diesel engines are the best diesel engines in the world dollar for dollar/euro for euro, etc.... if you look at reliability, longevity, lack of noise and vibration, performance, available and cheap parts, ease to work on, etc., etc.
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:48   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 345

I agree, have worked and serviced quite a bit on my beta marine 28hp over the last 6 years and it's been a reliable engine so far. Problems occurred when ignition key was stuck in starter position and starter engine blew up.
Can't tell about difference between marinizers, though.
PiXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 09:45   #8

Boat: Corbin 39

Here is a link to Beta Marine USA forum.

Beta Marine Engines - Beta Marine Engines

I used this site to get valuable information before re-powering a Corbin-39 24000lb Mono hull. Ended up with a Nanni 40 hp Kabota 2L engine that had a RPM that matched my existing transmission prop setup.

We have 2.37 trans ratio and 18/14 prop this gives vessel hull speed of 8.5kn at 2800 RPM.

My short list of engines was Vetus , Nanni , Bata Nanni had best match to existing prop transmission setup.
dmalcol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 13:19   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Gee, another one. These kubotas are pretty popular then. I like that idea.
You'll like it even better when you figure out which Kubota block is the basis of your marinized engine and get spares from the tractor store instead of the marine engine shop.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 13:40   #10

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

After deep investigation my choice landed on :

Marine diesel engine supplier for inboard marine diesel engines for boats
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 15:24   #11

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

In 2006 I repowered Swanson 36 Pendulum with a 35 HP WM Diesel. And have been very satisfied as the engine has been almost perfect and has now done 1,600 hours. The water pump">raw water pump did need a rebuild but that is a not a WM issue.
Best maybe not to get a small Hurth gearbox. Private PM me on that if info needed.
And after sales backup from John Witchard is spectacular.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 17:00   #12

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Here is the BIG difference between Nanni and Beta. Beta helps you get parts and will even give you generic part numbers (just look at their web page) while Nanni has NO USA parts suppliers that I can find. I'm always told by the Nanni suppliers that they have to order the parts from France. They wanted ~$1,000 for the starter motor!
Buy a Beta if you are in the America's... in Europe, maybe a Nanni is better.

I have a 37.5hp Nanni 4.150HE based on the V1505 block... sim to Beta 38. Wish I had the Beta
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 18:46   #13

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprice View Post
In 2006 I repowered Swanson 36 Pendulum with a 35 HP WM Diesel. And have been very satisfied as the engine has been almost perfect and has now done 1,600 hours. The raw water pump did need a rebuild but that is a not a WM issue.
Best maybe not to get a small Hurth gearbox. Private PM me on that if info needed.
And after sales backup from John Witchard is spectacular.
+1
My boat came to me with a 50 hp from John, a great engine and an even greater merchant
PRM would be the gearbox you should use, definitely avoid the small hurth box.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 19:04   #14

Beta customer service, before and long after the sale is fantastic. Parts are inexpensive and quickly supplied. Beta dealers will provide the generic (NAPA) part numbers for filters, belts, etc. E-mails are answered the next day. And they will hold your hand as you install the engine. AND, several people I know who chose the slightly cheaper Nanni have experienced grief with their exhaust elbow corroding and backfilling the engine. I have not heard of this happening with a Beta. I have had my Beta for eight years and love it.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 20:03   #15

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I do like the way beta have a simple stainless exhaust elbow. It would be pretty cheap to make a copy out of duplex stainless and even encorporate a nice riser system. My nanni has a cast iron fitting that includes the end cap for the heat exchanger. About $700 for a replacement. I am toying with cutting it down and building a stainless riser, but there is not really an easy way to fasten it onto the exhaust manifold.

Both have custom alloy heat exchanger/header tank/exhaust manifold coolers that can corrode if coolant gets contaminated. But my old nanni one is in reasonable nick after about 25 years of hard use.

Worth talking to franklin marine, they are the Beta agents in tassie. Have a look. During the wooden boat show all the engine makers usually have a stand and are keen to sell the display stock, or make a deal. Worth a trip south.

There is a nice perkins 4108 for sale on gumtree at the moment. I know the owner, and he has bought a smaller engine, as the 4108 was too big for his 32 footer...

Tags
enc, engine