Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2007, 16:37   #1

Boat: Seabird Kayak :)
Looking for info about Nanni 4.110HE motor

After a long search we finally got a motor for our sailing yacht, it is a used Nanni 4.110HE with a Hurth Gerabox.

But, I can not find out any info on this engine and I have googled & googled. Perhaps it was only of limited production before they changed models. I know it is a 30HP, 4 cylinder, but I do not know the max speed or gearbox details, like ratio.

The engine needs servicing and I believe that it is a Kubota based motor. I live in a rural area a long way from the water and procuring the non marinised parts from a agricultural machinery supplier would be better I think. Anyone know what Kubota engine this is based on ?

If anyone can enlighten me about this engine or has some copies of parts lists / user manuals / specifications / service manuals, etc, it would be much appreciated.
ribbony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 22:33   #2

Hi Ribbony
congratulations, hope this helps....http://www.engine-cemberci.com/engine/NANNI/5.pdf

cheers
Martin
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 23:13   #3

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Have you tried Collins Marine the agents
Collins Marine

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 00:57   #4

Thank's Martin for the link, that spec sheet fills in some of the blanks we had on the motor & transmission details.

Mike, I am hoping to get to Collins marine for some essential parts when & if I can get off the slips this week. The genuine parts are expensive, that is why I am looking to see if Kubota parts are a cheaper to alternative to the rebranded Nanni parts.

A user manual will be the next doc on the list, a service manual would be nice as well.
Old 16-12-2007, 01:10   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Truck parts....

When I was trying to resurect the old Ford I found my local truck spare parts place to be very helpful.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 09:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbony View Post
The genuine parts are expensive, that is why I am looking to see if Kubota parts are a cheaper to alternative to the rebranded Nanni parts.
This is a common misconception of the many brands the marinize Kubota engines. Nanni, Beta, Westerbeke/Universal, Fischer-Panda....etc

The engines they use From Kubota are only long blocks. The marinization equipment is either the brands own design or sourced from a third party.
Base engine parts like gaskets, pistons, rings, valves, injectors, IP's and engine mounted fuel lift pump and filters and oil filters are available from a Kubota dealer. But the marine specific parts are not.
When you go to Kubota you'll need the block code/model to obtain parts. This is cast into the block on the IP side just below the head gasket and at the flywheel end.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 15:15   #7

Need that service manual. I tried to run the motor yesterday and found the lift pump would not prime manually. Pulled it apart to see what was wrong, in the end it looks like it works better if the crankshaft is in a certain position otherwise the travel of the pump is limited for the manual lever. At least that is what it looks like. I will try to put the fuel higher than the motor so I can test the motor without the need for the pump.

As the motor has not been run and it looks like we may be up for a lot of machining of drive train components I want to make sure it works before commiting to all that expense and work.
Old 26-12-2007, 15:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbony View Post
Need that service manual. I tried to run the motor yesterday and found the lift pump would not prime manually. Pulled it apart to see what was wrong, in the end it looks like it works better if the crankshaft is in a certain position otherwise the travel of the pump is limited for the manual lever. At least that is what it looks like. I will try to put the fuel higher than the motor so I can test the motor without the need for the pump.

As the motor has not been run and it looks like we may be up for a lot of machining of drive train components I want to make sure it works before commiting to all that expense and work.
That's normal. The lift pump is driven by the cam shaft. At certain degrees of rotation the actuation lever is at the top of the lobe and manual stroke is minimized. At other times it's at the bottom and you have full stroke.
It sounds like you haven't fully primed the system. Attach a hose from your fuel can to the lift pump. Next follow the line to the next connection in the fuel line. It should be at the fuel filter. Open this fitting. Pump the lift pump until you have fuel, close the joint. Go to the connection of the fuel line at the injection pump, open the connection. Pump the lift pump until you have fuel. Close the connection and start the engine.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 19:10   #9

Yep, that worked a treat. Once it was pumped through and bled it started first try !