Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2013, 16:48   #1

Calling all Catana 47 Owners

Hello!

Author doing research in need of help. Please note that any questions I ask are for the purpose of fiction writing and not because I am planning to do anything foolish

I would like to hear from people who own a Catana 47 so I can ask them some pointed questions about their boat, experience, places they have sailed to or from, problems they may have encountered as well as get their opinion on projected itinerary.

#1 - On their website, the manufacturer claims that the Catana 47 may easily be single-handled. Do you agree? How about anchoring? How about long distance passages?

#2 - Has anyone crossed the Atlantic on a Catana 47? I'd love to hear the details.

#3 - Have any of the happy owners sailed from Panama to Hawaii? Same about the details please

#4 - Have any of you done a Westward Pacific crossing? (I'm thinking Hawaii to Marshall Islands but any similar trip would be much appreciated)

#5 - Have any of you implemented significant modifications to your boats since purchasing them?

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you'd like to keep the exchange private. All help is greatly appreciated and their author will be included in the acknowledgements
DeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 16:57   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Calling all Catana 47 Owners

The helm positions, port and starboard, are pretty exposed to weather and sun. I've delivered one and I didn't like the exposure. Big cockpit, though, with lots of entertainment features. But, if you're in the cockpit, it's tough seeing what's ahead, and if you're in either helm position, you can't see the other side of the boat.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 04:46   #3

Suggest you go to the Catana Yahoo group for this query, as not many Catana owners are here, since we are sick of being told that our boats supposedly suck

CatanaCats : Catana Catamaran Owners & wanta be's

you will have to register
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 07:29   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

tamicatana, my apologies if you were offended. I was simply making a personal observation about my experience with that particular boat and its impact on me and how I like to sail. They are well built, comfortable and quite popular with many folks. DeeB was simply asking for details about the particular boat to see if it would match a literary need for his book plot. If he had made an egregious mistake, he would have suffered a great deal of embarrassment and criticism, and the story he wants to tell would have been weakened by a simple oversight of detail. I'm sorry if what I said hurt you in any way. We all have our points of view on boats we are familiar with (or not).
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 07:57   #5

Thanks Roy. I wasn't offended, just making an observation. FWIW, you aren't the only one here making similar statements. I think it's odd how there aren't Catana (or Nautitech, or Outremer) sailors on CF.

For the OP: check also the Multihulls4Us fora.

I don't have a 47, but I'll answer what I know from my 40S, and from what I've seen online:

#1 - On their website, the manufacturer claims that the Catana 47 may easily be single-handled. Do you agree? How about anchoring? How about long distance passages?

I could singlehand mine, and I can't see that seven feet makes much dif. Singlehanding any boat has more to do with individual technique than the boat itself.

#2 - Has anyone crossed the Atlantic on a Catana 47? I'd love to hear the details.

EVERY Catana that is not in the area of France has crossed the pond, since they're made in France

#3 - Have any of the happy owners sailed from Panama to Hawaii? Same about the details please

for this and the next, See the Yahoo list. I think several of those guys are in the Pacific

#4 - Have any of you done a Westward Pacific crossing? (I'm thinking Hawaii to Marshall Islands but any similar trip would be much appreciated)

#5 - Have any of you implemented significant modifications to your boats since purchasing them?

From what I see on the list, people add generators, change rigging, change electrics, change sailplans
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 08:48   #6

I have a Catana 431, Hull 4, approximately 130,000 nm of ocean use. These miles include the original Trans-atlantic in 1999, and since then Belize to Newfoundland. My only concerns with single-handling the Catana, are the speeds and decision making underway. They are more frequent and safety is key. If you are comfortable with short sleeping times and the boat itself, go for it! This boat is made to go anywhere, and can be set up to be easily single-handed. Good luck and keep us updated. The Yahoo forum as mentioned earlier is a much better forum for Catana owners.

Larry
S/V Chateau sur la Mer
Gpser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 16:06   #7

Thanks everyone for all the info provided. I have decided to go with another boat, not because the Catana 47 isn't awesome (I am secretly hoping to be able to afford one some day) but because there is another that fits the story and characters better.

Bon vent to all of you
Old 19-08-2013, 19:20   #8

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Suggest you go to the Catana Yahoo group for this query, as not many Catana owners are here, since we are sick of being told that our boats supposedly suck

CatanaCats : Catana Catamaran Owners & wanta be's

you will have to register

There are a few of us on CF, but I am not very active.
I generally feel that Catanas are well thought of on CF but most people are not familiar with them simply because there are not many out there as compared to the other brands. They were not targeted for the charter trade after all , but are a semi custom build.
I am tired of the complaints of bad helm positions, poor visibility from the helms, cant see forward or the other side from the helms , exposure etc... Wrong, Wrong , Wrong and Wrong!

The #1 (first) design priority of Catanas was to make them sail well and every aspect of the build reflects that (very few other brands can make that claim and many of us know the ones that can).
They are a sailors' boat... and that is especially reflected by the helm positions and sightlines from these (431/471 builds, not as familiar with other models ). If you sail on these boats with the outboard helms for any appreciable time in various conditions you would not want any other position....and I can counter the usual criticisms of exposure to rain, sun etc,etc.

Deeb, out of curiosity what boat have chosen instead for your story?

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2773.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	65754  
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 20:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post

Deeb, out of curiosity what boat have chosen instead for your story?

Bob
Thanks for adding your piece of salt

A Chris White Explorer 44. As I said, no negative reflection on the Catana 47, an amazing boat. The Explorer fits the characters better and offers multiple advantages besides that, from a writing perspective, like the story of the designer himself and the link to the original Juniper.
Old 19-08-2013, 20:18   #10

Boat: PT-11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeB View Post

Thanks for adding your piece of salt

A Chris White Explorer 44. As I said, no negative reflection on the Catana 47, an amazing boat. The Explorer fits the characters better and offers multiple advantages besides that, from a writing perspective, like the story of the designer himself and the link to the original Juniper.
What's the story about? Hard to imagine how those questions relate to fiction.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 20:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post

What's the story about? Hard to imagine how those questions relate to fiction.
Ah, you'll have to wait to read the book I'm afraid. If you'll do me the honour that is
Old 02-02-2016, 11:19   #12

Recently purchased a 2001 472. Hope to do the delivery within the next few weeks.

I both forward bow lockers there is a steel post seemingly attached to the hull with a 4-1 purchase./

any ideas what this is for?
danard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 17:11   #13

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by danard View Post
Recently purchased a 2001 472. Hope to do the delivery within the next few weeks.

I both forward bow lockers there is a steel post seemingly attached to the hull with a 4-1 purchase./

any ideas what this is for?
I believe... you have a concept offered as an option by Catana for our vintage of boats called "Magic Legs" which if fitted would theoretically allow said boat to dry out on a large tidal range, drying conditions. Small mini keels just in front of the saildrives was the other component to support the aft ends to support the boat above the rudders and saildrives.
My boat has the mini keels, which I am very glad to have (for protecting those aft assets) but I don't have the corresponding front "Magic Legs", which I am very glad I don't have... a dumb , not practical idea IMHO...
Most owners have removed these front legs.
Join the Yahoo Catanas group to get all questions "Catana" answered if you haven't already done so.

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 17:24   #14

Thank you Bob
danard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:14   #15

Boat: Voyage Catamaran 50 ft

I do not own a 47 however a good friend has just left France sitting now in Australia so here is crossed the Atlantic Ocean the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean and is presently in the southern ocean on route to Fremantle Western Australia and I can tell you, he has had almost 0 problems except for the electric toilet his wife uses😳 but he was cruising not racing
L&N

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SV.Louna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, catana