Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2023, 09:25   #1

Boat: Nordship 808
How to remove an engine?

So, I am about to start the process of replacing the old Volvo with an electric pod motor.

How do I go about removing the old engine?

I foresee the following steps:
- DIsconnect the starter battery
- Disconnect the charging cable from the charging-relay
- Empty the dieseltank
- Remove the dieselhose from engine and capture the remains from the hose
- DIsmount the panel and fasten the wires to the engine
- Dismount gear and throttle cables
- Dismount the exhaust hose from the manifold
- Take the water intake hose off the raw-water pump and plug it (seacock cannot be closed)

Now it should be time to seperate the engine from the saildrive right?

So I suspect that I should put some wood under the engine near the sail drive it can rest on, and then first remove the connection between the saildrive and engine.
Then put the crane hook in the lifting eye on the engine before I take off the motor mounts. Is that the right sequence?

So, have I remembered it all, and does anyone know how the saildrive is attached to the engine, so I have an idea on how to seperate them?

It's an MD7b with a 120S drive on it.
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 10:05   #2

Boat: Endeavour 32
Re: How to remove an engine?

Pull the engine forward to separate it from the SD. be careful now much you lift / twist the SD. The boot doesn’t allow much play and misalignment.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 10:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Harmony View Post
Pull the engine forward to separate it from the SD. be careful now much you lift / twist the SD. The boot doesn’t allow much play and misalignment.
Good info!
There is not much space in front of the engine, before lifting it out.
Old 14-04-2023, 11:12   #4

There is an adapter piece between the saildrive and the engine. It has a round bolt pattern with 7 (I think) bolts on the engine side and a rectangular bolt pattern on the saildrive side with 6 bolts. I would suggest loosening all the bolts once the engine is suspended and seeing which side comes loose first. As I recall the engine side was sealed with a gasket sealer and it might be more stuck than the saildrive side. Drain the oil from the engine before you do this.......

The input shaft to the saildrive is splined, and the drive between the engine and saildrive contains an adapter or two to get from the engine crankshaft to the saildrive. It should slide apart fairly easily as this area had oil in it. Once the engine is separated from the saildrive it’s good to support the front of the saildrive as it will only be held up by the mount on its rear side and the rubber diaphragm seal.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 11:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
There is an adapter piece between the saildrive and the engine. It has a round bolt pattern with 7 (I think) bolts on the engine side and a rectangular bolt pattern on the saildrive side with 6 bolts. I would suggest loosening all the bolts once the engine is suspended and seeing which side comes loose first. As I recall the engine side was sealed with a gasket sealer and it might be more stuck than the saildrive side. Drain the oil from the engine before you do this.......

The input shaft to the saildrive is splined, and the drive between the engine and saildrive contains an adapter or two to get from the engine crankshaft to the saildrive. It should slide apart fairly easily as this area had oil in it. Once the engine is separated from the saildrive it’s good to support the front of the saildrive as it will only be held up by the mount on its rear side and the rubber diaphragm seal.
Good stuff !
I need to add "remove oil from saildrive and engine" to the list
Old 14-04-2023, 11:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorMade View Post
Good stuff !
I need to add "remove oil from saildrive and engine" to the list
No need to drain the drive.
Old 14-04-2023, 11:32   #7

Quote:
No need to drain the drive.
OK yes got it, but I had no idea that the engine oil could drain out there, so great info
Old 14-04-2023, 11:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorMade View Post
OK yes got it, but I had no idea that the engine oil could drain out there, so great info
The old MD’s are weird like that kind of an anomaly in the engine world. Most everyone else uses a dry bell housing like a car clutch.
Old 14-04-2023, 11:43   #9

Quote:
The old MD’s are weird like that kind of an anomaly in the engine world. Most everyone else uses a dry bell housing like a car clutch.
Well I had certainly not thought about that.
In many ways I look forward to not worry about oil, impellers, filters, fuel quality etc in the future.
But there might be other issues - we will see

Tags
engine