Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2021, 07:24   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Mysterious exhaust parts need to identify

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz2 View Post
Thank you, can you give me a rough estimate of the materials I will need if I go your route please?

You’ll need a mixing elbow off of the back of the engine……could be purchased or made, cost roughly $300-$500

You’ll need any flavor of water lift muffler (centek/vernalift, vetus, etc…). Roughly $150-$600

Then comes the hose. Likely a section of corrugated for a sharp bend or two as well as lots of the normal stiff stuff. Cost depends on the length of run. Don’t go cheap on the clamps here, use awab or awa solid clamps.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 08:45   #17

Here's what I'm looking at although budget is very, very tight, see pictures attached.
What's missing apart from hose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16289902_FUL.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	240607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	240608  

taz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 09:04   #18

Looking at the diagrams, this not a job I can do my self, plus the fact I don't have $1500 to spend, I'm going to have to look at cheaper option/s. Plus I'm not sure what I'm actually need!

I feel very deflated.
taz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 09:06   #19

Quote:
Here's what I'm looking at although budget is very, very tight, see pictures attached.

What's missing apart from hose

You’re missing a waterlift muffler

You also need to determine how you’re going to attach the mixing elbow to the engine. Is there pipe thread on the manifold? Is it a flange?
Old 20-06-2021, 09:09   #20

Quote:
Looking at the diagrams, this not a job I can do my self, plus the fact I don't have $1500 to spend, I'm going to have to look at cheaper option/s. Plus I'm not sure what I'm actually need!

I feel very deflated.

If you can figure out how to unscrew the mixer from the annular hose/pipe, you can replace the rubber hose over the flex pipe. That should buy you some time to save up for the hardware needed to fix this properly.

The annular cooling scares the hell out of me, all it takes is the stainless flex hose to fail and the engine is filled with water after shutdown.
Old 20-06-2021, 09:26   #21

Quote:
How can I simplify the system?
Novice sailor/ novice mechanic
Just take the large silver muffler and the mystery small cylinder and all that garbage out, replace it with a proper fiberglass Waterlift Muffler system. Mount the muffler as low as possible below the engine exhaust point, have a loop near the hull exit that goes up high to avoid water ingress into your engine.
Where is your water mixing elbow? I think I see it in your last picture... the small hose coming into the exhaust pipe.It's likely on the aft part of the engine. Make sure it's not clogged.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 10:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Just take the large silver muffler and the mystery small cylinder and all that garbage out, replace it with a proper fiberglass Waterlift Muffler system. Mount the muffler as low as possible below the engine exhaust point, have a loop near the hull exit that goes up high to avoid water ingress into your engine.
Where is your water mixing elbow? I think I see it in your last picture... the small hose coming into the exhaust pipe.It's likely on the aft part of the engine. Make sure it's not clogged.

The silver “muffler” is the mixing elbow. It’s dry exhaust up to that point
Old 20-06-2021, 12:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
The silver “muffler” is the mixing elbow. It’s dry exhaust up to that point
Weird, looks like a SS muffler to me. That hose on it looks awfully big...? So what is that in picture #1 then? Looks like a small hose going into the pipe...?

Old 20-06-2021, 12:55   #24

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

You can get a nice SS mixing elbow made for less than $100. I will post pics in next few days. Westerbeke prices are high.
Tight budget means DIY- no problem. Look at Calder's book Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual and Gerr's "Boat Mechanical Systems Handbook." You should own the first one.

That will be enough background to help start figuring this out.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 13:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Weird, looks like a SS muffler to me. That hose on it looks awfully big...? So what is that in picture #1 then? Looks like a small hose going into the pipe...?

See post #2

Dry exhaust leaves the engine with a water jacket up to the stainless muffler thing.
Old 20-06-2021, 14:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
You can get a nice SS mixing elbow made for less than $100. I will post pics in next few days. Westerbeke prices are high.
Tight budget means DIY- no problem. Look at Calder's book Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual and Gerr's "Boat Mechanical Systems Handbook." You should own the first one.

Yep. On my first offshore cruiser the Volvo MD2B had a threaded outlet flange. I made a mixing elbow from a 2" galvanized nipple and 45 degree pipe elbow!

Old 20-06-2021, 15:02   #27

Quote:

I feel very deflated.

You can do this[emoji844] either the full conversion to a complete wet exhaust or just the replacement of the outer hose on your current dry pipe installation.
No matter what road you take, the addition of a vent loop is imperative as you demonstrated when you opened the seacock with the outer sleeve of the heat rejection section open as in the early pics and water rushed in, this can’t happen with a loop and siphon break and a failure of the convoluted hose would be a non threatening event which would cause raw water to join the dry exhaust gas and exit via the large, above waterline exhaust outlet.
I’ve been close up with the convoluted SSteel flex a lot and its damned good stuff in 316, inconel or Monel and it can take 20 bar easily. It shouldnt be affected by plain raw water.
The end cap with the water inlet should unscrew to allow the replacement of the outer shabby hose.
I still maintain that this is a completely dry exhaust from engine to hull outlet and the section in your pics just ahead of the SS cylinder is the heat extraction part.
Good luck with the job.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 15:05   #28

Here’s the flex SS pipeClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4624.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	240620Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4622.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	240621
Old 21-06-2021, 01:42   #29

Quote:

I feel very deflated.

I found a place in Gloucester Massachusetts that quite possibly made or supplied your existing exhaust systemClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4625.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	240630
Old 21-06-2021, 01:54   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post

Both of my boats have custom SS waterlifts. It is a good and cost effective solution.

It just looks more difficult than it is.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, parts